Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2023, 02:17 PM   #941
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
This isn’t really a style question but rather maintaining your nice shoes. Specifically, replacement laces. I have this beautiful white pair of Nike Air Jordan ADG 4 shoes that I love wearing in the summer. Unfortunately, the ankle lock has worn and finally shredded one of the laces.

Where do you go for good replacement laces? Preferably somewhere that ships from within Canada, but anywhere that has fast shipping (hell l will take an Amazon option if they’re good laces). Looking for white, round laces. Ideally with metal caps, but at this point I’ll take what’s good quality and quick.

Edit: A follow-up, I found Shoelaces Express. Not exactly the cheapest pair of laces I've bought, but I specifically needed round, 3/16" width and 36" length laces. They do custom round with metal tips, so there you have it.
Just last week I bought some athletic laces from KURISET on Amazon for $8.80 CDN IPrime so no shipping cost) and I'm seeing similar laces on Shoelaces Express for $10.50 US before shipping. I'm happy with the laces I got from KURISET.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 06:29 PM   #942
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I saw the ones you're talking about, but they're just that bit too ... chunky? The 3/16" size is hard to come by on Amazon.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 06:38 PM   #943
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
Not a slim fit, just a basic classic cut, no bowing or creasing when I wear it. (so far) It's the most expensive piece of clothing I ever purchased and I'm hoping I could get away with it for a while more as I know little of current fashion and nothing about suits.

I'm at the age where funerals are becoming a common occurrence, and I'm old fashioned enough that I generally hate when people are very casually dressed for one.

Post a picture of it if you want but I am sure it's a great suit. Even if something is a little older, the quality should still be there. The tend these days is slightly more form fitting than years ago

Styles change but sometimes only in subtle ways. If your suit has pleats on the pants or cuffs on the pants, you might be able to alter those as those aren't as common these days.

Double breasted suits are all the rage now when only a few years ago they were considered old fashioned.

I also agree that formal dress should be for funerals or at least an effort.

Don't over think it, people always look way better in a suit.
curves2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 08:38 PM   #944
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Slim fit suits came into style ~20 years ago, so if it's a slim fit suit and it is bowing in the label or creasing at the shoulders, you should probably junk it.

Classic cut jackets tend to have more longevity and age more gracefully as our bodies deteriorate.

Following Derek Guy on Twitter is a pro follow if you're interested in menswear and it's history. Here's a good thread of him tearing down Nick Adams' fit

https://twitter.com/user/status/1655397143325323264
I feel like those kind of style critiques lose the forrest through the trees. I see those kind of fit comments all the time on the internet but in reality nobody is going to ever notice. Besides, a suit coat only fits perfect when you're standing completely still with your hands at your side. As soon as you're at the boardroom table, or walking, or at your desk, or grabbing something, or driving, or doing anything but standing still, your suit isn't going to hang perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Post a picture of it if you want but I am sure it's a great suit. Even if something is a little older, the quality should still be there. The tend these days is slightly more form fitting than years ago

Styles change but sometimes only in subtle ways. If your suit has pleats on the pants or cuffs on the pants, you might be able to alter those as those aren't as common these days.

Double breasted suits are all the rage now when only a few years ago they were considered old fashioned.

I also agree that formal dress should be for funerals or at least an effort.

Don't over think it, people always look way better in a suit.
I thought pleats and cuffs were back in style? Personally I've gone all 5 pocket pants lately because I don't find the workplace as formal as it used to be but I'd wear pleats and cuffs to a formal event. Bonus, pleats fit big thighs better.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 02:15 AM   #945
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
I feel like those kind of style critiques lose the forrest through the trees. I see those kind of fit comments all the time on the internet but in reality nobody is going to ever notice. Besides, a suit coat only fits perfect when you're standing completely still with your hands at your side. As soon as you're at the boardroom table, or walking, or at your desk, or grabbing something, or driving, or doing anything but standing still, your suit isn't going to hang perfect.

I thought pleats and cuffs were back in style? Personally I've gone all 5 pocket pants lately because I don't find the workplace as formal as it used to be but I'd wear pleats and cuffs to a formal event. Bonus, pleats fit big thighs better.

You may be right! Haha A quick search and you maybe onto something. Bottom line, don't change things until they come back in style. Haha.
curves2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 11:15 AM   #946
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I think I saw the ones you're talking about, but they're just that bit too ... chunky? The 3/16" size is hard to come by on Amazon.
I think I had a similar concern to yours so I bought these round ones as my shoes have fairly small lace holes.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07JBTR16F?...roduct_details
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2023, 11:36 AM   #947
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

The biggest problem with Nick's coat is that it's draped over a delusional moron.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
The guy isn't exactly contorting himself, he's standing with a slight turn. All of those things mentioned being present even in this posture are indicating that this full-of-himself twat is somehow so successful that he can't even get a suit tailored properly (or he's wearing a suit made for a version of him about 30 lbs ago).
Old 05-26-2023, 12:30 PM   #948
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Cargo shorts are back, bro!
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 12:32 PM   #949
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Cargo shorts are back, bro!
F. Yeah! I have a camo pair in my closet from 2005, that somehow survived many purges. They're back in the rotation!
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 06:03 PM   #950
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we as a society decide on a certain length of sock and just stay with it? Took me forever to get used to that "no show" socks look. I finally embraced it the past couple years in the warm weather months, and now I see we're already done with that and back to 80s style tube socks again as a fashion trend? I can't keep up!
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 09:04 PM   #951
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is it acceptable to wear a vest in an office setting? Thinking of a (somewhat) outdoor vest that would be nice to have in an office that is normally quite cold. Typical office setting, business casual etc
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 09:50 PM   #952
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Is it acceptable to wear a vest in an office setting? Thinking of a (somewhat) outdoor vest that would be nice to have in an office that is normally quite cold. Typical office setting, business casual etc
Probably depends on how much seniority you have.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 08:42 AM   #953
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Are you in finance?

Are you a Chad?

https://www.instagram.com/midtownuniform/?hl=en
Old 09-01-2023, 08:48 AM   #954
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is tube socks and sandals / sliders a thing now? I see a lot of people doing it, and it looks ridiculous.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 09:25 AM   #955
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Probably depends on how much seniority you have.
I've said it before, the more senior you are the more you can get away with. I've seen execs wearing fishing vests and cycling shorts in meetings before they are off to their trip.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 09:29 AM   #956
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Depends how senior you are. Depends your industry/company culture. Depends if you're wearing something athletic or outdoorsy (ie: Puffer down vest vs sleek). Depends if you DGAF and it's function over fashion.

If you need to be more formal, cardigans are a little better than outdoor vests I guess. Or even some wool/cashmere vests are surprisingly warm and could pass as formal fashion.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 09:46 AM   #957
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is what I thought of when I saw "outdoor vest"...

It might be a little distracting, but people would definitely notice you.
Old 09-01-2023, 10:23 AM   #958
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
This is what I thought of when I saw "outdoor vest"...

It might be a little distracting, but people would definitely notice you.
For a tangentially related distraction which brought a smile to even Simon's face...

Old 09-01-2023, 10:27 AM   #959
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Is tube socks and sandals / sliders a thing now? I see a lot of people doing it, and it looks ridiculous.
Yeah, and apparently those socks must also be paired with a moustache
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 12:08 PM   #960
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Can we as a society decide on a certain length of sock and just stay with it? Took me forever to get used to that "no show" socks look. I finally embraced it the past couple years in the warm weather months, and now I see we're already done with that and back to 80s style tube socks again as a fashion trend? I can't keep up!
I have four lengths of sock:
1. No-show socks. Only worn on the nicest of days with either a low-cut athletic shoe or a dressier shoe that I'm 'dressing down'.
2. Below-ankle socks. Not quite 'no-show', they're generally seen more as an athletic sock. Worn only with my lower-cut shoes in the summer.
3. Ankle socks. Worn because I bought a pair of high-top Jordans and it's not comfortable to wear them without a sock that covers the ankle joint. This sock works basically with everything I wear year-round, except for #4....
4. Dress socks. Typically can go as high as the top of the calf muscle, except mine are massive so I usually have trouble keeping them at the height they're supposed to stay. I haven't had to wear dress socks regularly since early-2020 when I switched companies and roles, so these see almost no use.

I'm not down with the 80s length tube sock, not happening.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post: