Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-07-2019, 01:22 PM   #221
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Between Iginla and Ovechkin Gary Bettman handed the Stanley Cup to only one of these captains.
Meh. I guess that makes Lanny a better captain. Also Derian Hatcher, Rod Brind'amour, Dustin Brown, and Eddie Litzenburger.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:24 PM   #222
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Neither one was a great skater.
Maybe he's lost a step now, but Ovechkin was an awesome skater in his prime. Maybe the most explosive first stride, which is huge in a game like hockey. Probably forgetting some names but from ~2006 to ~2010 the top skaters in the NHL were probably Ovechkin, Marleau, Crosby, Niedermayer, Gaborik, Kovalchuk, JBo

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:24 PM   #223
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Meh. I guess that makes Lanny a better captain. Also Derian Hatcher, Rod Brind'amour, Dustin Brown, and Eddie Litzenburger.
Who knows? How does one measure "captaining" anyways? It strikes me as dubious to suggest that Ovechkin is not a very good one, or that Iginla is somehow better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:27 PM   #224
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Guys like Yzerman, Sakic, Messier, Dionne etc aren't even considered generational. They were truly elite, but generational is something that sets you apart from past and present players. I think Jarome is a group with those exceptional players, but not generational. It's criminal he wasn't part of the 100 best NHLers.

Mario & Wayne for obvious reasons.

Orr for obvious reasons.

The Rocket for goals.

Howe for goals and longevity.

I consider Sid & Ovi to both be generational. Ovi will go down as the best goal scorer ever, and Sid will go down as the best complete player.

As good as McDingle has been, I think he's already fallen out of the conversation of being generational, but will remain elite for a long time.
McDavid could/will very likely win his third Art Ross trophy in what will be just his fourth NHL season which would put him ahead of both Crosby and Ovechkin career wise.. He is very much trending to be generational.

Last edited by HighLifeMan; 02-07-2019 at 01:30 PM.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:29 PM   #225
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Maybe he's lost a step now, but Ovechkin was an awesome skater in his prime. Maybe the most explosive first stride, which is huge in a game like hockey. Probably forgetting some names but from ~2006 to ~2010 the top skaters in the NHL were probably Ovechkin, Marleau, Crosby, Niedermayer, Gaborik, Kovalchuk, JBo
Just before your period maybe, but man could Fedorov skate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 01:57 PM   #226
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Playing in the Olympics? Captaining? Commercials? Number of middle names?

I imagine if Iginla wasn’t the charismatic guy that he is, we wouldn’t even be having this debate. He was a great representative of the Flames.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:08 PM   #227
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Who knows? How does one measure "captaining" anyways? It strikes me as dubious to suggest that Ovechkin is not a very good one, or that Iginla is somehow better.
Oh, agreed. I was really just positiing some ideas of where he might be suprior, since the league seemed to think he was this great captain (and no one ever said that about Ovie). What I do discount is the fact that Ovie won a cup. I think Ovie's cup is perhaps a lesser achievement as a captain than Iggy carrying the 04 Flames to the finals (along with Kipper, and with a big nod to Gelinas of course).
Old 02-07-2019, 05:02 PM   #228
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
That’s laughable. Ovechkin captained his team to a Stanley Cup. I could give a rats ass if he ever engaged in a fight with another player. He is better than Iginla ever was at almost everything that matters in hockey. Ovechkin is a “generational” player by most measures; Iginla is not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While Jarome Iginla was an active NHL player (1996-2017) not one single other player scored more goals than he did.

A human generation is about 22-33 years (wiki).

If being the best goal scorer of your entire generation doesn't make you a generational player, you need new metrics for determining who makes the cut. smh.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:11 PM   #229
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
While Jarome Iginla was an active NHL player (1996-2017) not one single other player scored more goals than he did.

A human generation is about 22-33 years (wiki).

If being the best goal scorer of your entire generation doesn't make you a generational player, you need new metrics for determining who makes the cut. smh.
That doesn't make sense at all. I know what you are trying to say but to me, all that says is Iginla was the best goal scorer from his draft class. How do you account for players who played between 1996-2017 but also outside of that time frame? For example, if a player started playing in 2016 and finishes with a career with more goals than Iginla (like OV), then what? Or if a player played until 2000s and retired but had more goals than Iginla (like Lemieux). In these cases, Iginla did not score more goals than everyone else who played during that time.

If you are trying to say no one scored more goals than him in any season he played, then sure... but he didn't.
keenan87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:16 PM   #230
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
That doesn't make sense at all. I know what you are trying to say but to me, all that says is Iginla was the best goal scorer from his draft class. How do you account for players who played between 1996-2017 but also outside of that time frame? For example, if a player started playing in 2016 and finishes with a career with more goals than Iginla (like OV), then what? Or if a player played until 2000s and retired but had more goals than Iginla (like Lemieux). In these cases, Iginla did not score more goals than everyone else who played during that time.

If you are trying to say no one scored more goals than him in any season he played, then sure... but he didn't.
If you move the needle back to 1990, six years before his career started, the only players to finish ahead of him in goal scoring are generational talents Teemu Selanne and Jaromir Jagr, the best players to ever play from their respective countries and both absolutely generational talents.

edit: even if you move the needle back an entire decade before he was drafted he still finishes 6th in goal scoring over a thirty year span where-in 4286 players played in the NHL. That's in the top 0.001% of goal scorers from 1986-2017... Is that not generational? how is this even possible to consider?

edit2: (These edits aren't directed at you keenan87, but just because I'm looking stuff up and don't want to spam the thread.) If you start at 1986 and go all the way until today, you add another 300 NHLers (4504) and he only moves down one spot to 7th, being passed by another generational talent in Alexander Ovechkin, the greatest Russian goal scorer of all time. If anyone is curious, he just passed Sergei Federov (1179) for most points by a Russian ever on Feb 5 against Vancouver (1180).

Last edited by thymebalm; 02-07-2019 at 06:15 PM.
thymebalm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thymebalm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 05:19 PM   #231
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you move the needle back to 1990, six years before his career started, the only players to finish ahead of him in goal scoring are generational talents Teemu Selanne and Jaromir Jagr, the best players to ever play from their respective countries and both absolutely generational talents.
That is definitely a fair point.
keenan87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:39 PM   #232
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

edit: even if you move the needle back an entire decade before he was drafted he still finishes 6th in goal scoring over a thirty year span where-in 4286 players played in the NHL. That's in the top 0.001% of goal scorers from 1986-2017... Is that not generational? how is this even possible to consider?

edit2: (These edits aren't directed at you keenan87, but just because I'm looking stuff up and don't want to spam the thread.) If you start at 1986 and go all the way until today, you add another 300 NHLers (4504) and he only moves down one spot to 7th, being past by another generational talent in Alexander Ovechkin, the greatest Russian goal scorer of all time. If anyone is curious, he just passed Sergei Federov (1179) for most points by a Russian ever on Feb 5 against Vancouver (1180).
I'll never forgive the nhl for leaving him off the top 100 list, for robbing him of his only cup with a ridiculous no-goal call in the playoffs, for locking out 3 times, twice during his prime, while he played, and those damn easterners who robbed him of the hart in favor of Jose ####ing Theodore. Blasphemy.

I loved the 2004 team but iginla carried a bunch of role players while miikka kiprusoff shut the door and we deserved that cup. No Gm was successful in really installing good talent around him during his time here. He still dominated and made our team relevant. All with a smile every damm day.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 06:55 PM   #233
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iggy's problem was always that he was sandwiched between the Gretzky/Mario era and Crosby/Ovechkin/Malkin. And, I guess, that Selanne, Jagr, Sakic and Forsberg were there at the beginning as well. Also, small market, on a team with not much success, and with not many other excellent guys.

Really, no one used the word "generational" that I can recall until Crosby came along, so they could compare him to Gretzky/Mario.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:46 AM   #234
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Monahan maintains his current 1.09 PPG pace, he'll end the year with 89 points. If he does that, he'll finish his 24 year old campaign with 370 points. At the end of the same time frame, Iginla had 363.

When I started this thread, I didn't think there was any way Monahan would still be ahead of Iggy in his production AFTER the Art Ross 02. He's going to at least have the same number of points, and likely more. Good job, Sean. Every day, I'm embarrassed to have wanted Nichushkin at 6.

#Retire23
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:00 AM   #235
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
If Monahan maintains his current 1.09 PPG pace, he'll end the year with 89 points. If he does that, he'll finish his 24 year old campaign with 370 points. At the end of the same time frame, Iginla had 363.

When I started this thread, I didn't think there was any way Monahan would still be ahead of Iggy in his production AFTER the Art Ross 02. He's going to at least have the same number of points, and likely more. Good job, Sean. Every day, I'm embarrassed to have wanted Nichushkin at 6.

#Retire23
Numbers for Iggy would be different if our idiot coach and gm didn't run Marc Savard out of town.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:06 AM   #236
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Monahan making Love’s opinion of him look like sheer cluelessness yet again.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #237
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Numbers for Iggy would be different if our idiot coach and gm didn't run Marc Savard out of town.
Also the lockout in his prime.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:12 AM   #238
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
In the first five years of his career? They'd be exactly the same, and Monahan would still have more.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:33 AM   #239
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
In the first five years of his career? They'd be exactly the same, and Monahan would still have more.
and Iginla would still be twice the player.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 11:53 AM   #240
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
and Iginla would still be twice the player.
Which is fine, because that is not the argument being made in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote