Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2018, 10:13 AM   #241
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I wonder if the Flames can handle two issues in one swap.

Calgary trades Stone to Ottawa for Craig Andersson with the Senators paying $1.5 of his 4.75 contract that has two years remaining.

The deal gives Calgary an archaic tandem, but two of them in case one goes down. The two year deal for Andersson leaves the Flames less exposed in goaltending next year and makes resigning Smith more of an option and less of a necessity.

Big risk is performance as Andersson sagged last year, but then a lot has gone on in this man's life in the last two years.

Stone gives the Senators a brother story, helps their depleted defense, and Calgary can promote Rasmus Andersson to big time.

Love this idea.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 10:18 AM   #242
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The idea that this is some sort of conspiracy based on him basically keeping his job through blackmail is pretty absurd.
All things being equal they must think he's doing a good job.
He isn't the first guy to survive several regime changes. At one point people were asking the same question of Todd Button.
I have no idea if he's doing a good job or not. I do agree that for the most part its been sh** in sh** out when it comes to Flames tenders.

Intentionally circumventing the swear filter. Tsk tsk.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #243
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
The 23rd is my best guess
Yeah lots of pre-season left to go. Hard to get excited about watching this roster three more times.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:59 AM   #244
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Calgary trades Stone to Ottawa for Craig Andersson with the Senators paying $1.5 of his 4.75 contract that has two years remaining.

The deal gives Calgary an archaic tandem, but two of them in case one goes down. The two year deal for Andersson leaves the Flames less exposed in goaltending next year and makes resigning Smith more of an option and less of a necessity.

Big risk is performance as Andersson sagged last year, but then a lot has gone on in this man's life in the last two years.

Stone gives the Senators a brother story, helps their depleted defense, and Calgary can promote Rasmus Andersson to big time.
I made a similar trade offer a week ago in the other thread but also added Rittich to Stone. I would be happy with this trade.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:08 AM   #245
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brule, Auger, Glass are the only PTOs we didn't see last night. I have a hard time believing anyone them will make the team.

In terms of prospects the only players I would be curious to see play are Gawdin, Joly, Ruzicka and Zavgorodniy. Granted 3 of those 4 are going back to the CHL no matter what.

Otherwise it will be a very similar team to last night 3 more times.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:11 AM   #246
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Heard some encouraging things from a colleague who was sitting at ice level (someone who definitely knows their hockey) about Valimaki. Up close he said Valimaki is "incredible" - in break out passes, decision making, reading plays, etc. Thinks he should make the team now.
Valimaki has the goods. Still, I don't see him making the roster this year. I am happy to give him top pairing minutes and experience in the AHL. He played well last night, Still, in every game he's played this camp he has had 2 or 3 unforced errors which lead to scoring chances the other way. I would like to see him clean those up before logging NHL minutes. All the same he will likely get 3 or 4 more preseason games to prove himself.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:32 AM   #247
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I actually don’t think that handles any issue. Just moves an overpriced contract from the third pairing to the bench. Anderson isn’t beating out Smith and I would rather have an experienced insurance policy playing defense than riding pine. Stone still averaged almost 17 minutes a night for us last year and has played top 4 minutes for most of his career.

If the team wants to move on from Smith after this season (which I don’t think will happen but could) I can’t fathom there not being a better/younger/cheaper option than Anderson available. He is even older than Smith and is completely inconsistent season to season
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:37 AM   #248
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
I actually don’t think that handles any issue. Just moves an overpriced contract from the third pairing to the bench. Anderson isn’t beating out Smith and I would rather have an experienced insurance policy playing defense than riding pine. Stone still averaged almost 17 minutes a night for us last year and has played top 4 minutes for most of his career.

If the team wants to move on from Smith after this season (which I don’t think will happen but could) I can’t fathom there not being a better/younger/cheaper option than Anderson available. He is even older than Smith and is completely inconsistent season to season
I'm not necessarily keen on bringing in Anderson but who are these better/younger/cheaper options that you think are available?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:46 AM   #249
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not necessarily keen on bringing in Anderson but who are these better/younger/cheaper options that you think are available?
Time will tell, it’s a next off season issue. I am just saying it is a silly idea to hedge against uncertainty in net by committing big money to an older and worse option than what we already have. A 37 year old coming off a bad season is not mitigating any risk for us.

In terms of who will be available next off season it is tough to say at this point but I think there is about a zero percent chance 38 year old Craig Anderson will be the best option for us. A bit surprised I got any push back on that statement to be honest haha
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:54 AM   #250
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
This trade makes more sense for Calgary at the trade deadline, when we have given Gillies/Rittch time to showcase over a season, and for the staff to know what they have on defense (impacted by Andersson, Kylington and Valimaki pushing for spots). Also, bringing in Anderson is probably more prudent when Smith's workload is at 110% to carry them into the playoffs and will need a veteran reliever. Going with a 1a/1b punch in net is a perfect situation for a deep playoff run.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:03 PM   #251
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Personally if the Flames were interested in bringing someone like Anderson to be the backup then I would rather them just claim McElhinney off waivers. Though that means they're basically given up on Rittich for one season from a 35 year old goalie. I think Rittich would have to look pretty bad for the remainder of the pre-season for that to happen.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:04 PM   #252
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It would be a crying shame to watch a team that has finally addressed skill and depth up front to miss out on the playoffs or flame out in the first round because of an injury to an aging goalie.

I think it would cost Tre his job, and I think that would be justified.

The time is now for this team.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 12:06 PM   #253
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

There have already been numerous rumors of Treliving shaking the goaltender tree and seeing if anything falls out. I'm sure he knows full well what this season means, and I also personally believe he isn't sold on Rittich or Gillies.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 12:22 PM   #254
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
There have already been numerous rumors of Treliving shaking the goaltender tree and seeing if anything falls out. I'm sure he knows full well what this season means, and I also personally believe he isn't sold on Rittich or Gillies.
From what we know he's been shaking that tree for a number of years and been quite happy to scoop up the rotten apples that have fallen loose while other teams paid the farmer to get the good stuff. How long does he get before the old Oilers excuse of "well, we tried" no longer cuts it?
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 12:23 PM   #255
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

I still have faith in Riddich. I think that it's mostly based off of last year's work but I think that he will bounce back well. This is what pre-season is for. The moment that you get too high or low based on one early game is setting yourself up for unnecessary stress.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:25 PM   #256
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
I still have faith in Riddich. I think that it's mostly based off of last year's work but I think that he will bounce back well. This is what pre-season is for. The moment that you get too high or low based on one early game is setting yourself up for unnecessary stress.
Not to mention he had a D corps that never played together before that game in front of him. It is tough to take last nights results to seriously.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:43 PM   #257
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

The team will (and should) give Rittich and Gillies an opportunity to prove themselves before the aquire anyone else.

If Smith goes down and/or Rittich and Gillies both fail Treliving will aquire a guy like Reimer out of Florida. They signed Hutchinson in the offseason so now have 3 NHL calibre goalies.

The point is there is no need to panic, options will be available if the guys we have get hurt or just aren't good enough.

I still think we need to see what we have internally before worrying about it already, especially considering Rittich looked amazing before Smith got hurt.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 12:46 PM   #258
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
It would be a crying shame to watch a team that has finally addressed skill and depth up front to miss out on the playoffs or flame out in the first round because of an injury to an aging goalie.

I think it would cost Tre his job, and I think that would be justified.

The time is now for this team.
Agree 100%, hate to burn another year or two off of JG, SM contracts etc.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:47 PM   #259
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Rittich's feet weren't set on a whole slew of those goals last night (and on a variety of saves). While that doesn't guarantee a save on them either, it's a pretty major deficiency in his game right now.

He's not trusting his game like when he first entered the NHL, it's causing him to guess, and it's showing in his footwork. I call the Dubnyk disease: Version Oilers. This criticism dates back to late last year for me.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:50 PM   #260
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Maybe a half decent goalie coach would be able to get Rittich in fine backup form in time for the season.

Instead were biting our nails and again discussing veteran alternatives.

Hoping for someone to look a step or two better in these next couple games.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote