Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2018, 02:32 PM   #61
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
After the rest of the spots are filled there will be about 4 million to sign Hanifin which won't be enough for a long term so bridge unless they Buyout Brouwer.
Yeah, really kinda looks like Hanifin and Tkachuk are going to get bridged out to 2020-2021 that's when we get the Brodie/Hamonic/Stone/Brouwer/Frolik money freed to give them longterm deals don't see the wiggle room to sign them earlier with the only major money coming off the book this season being Smith (and I wager we'll need to spend that money + any cap inflation on another goalie).
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #62
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still look at the Backlund cap as "perfect" on a 7 year contract. Somewhere between 5.35-5.5M per on a 7 year deal seems fair when you take into account the growing cap and look at it at a pure cap %.

If it's 6 years, somewhere between 5 and 5.35M per is very reasonable.

On a 5 year term, I'd be angling for an even 5M per, but I don't want a 5 year contract.

I think these 5-7M per contracts are going to look like absolute steals in the coming years as the cap grows and high end players get paid more and more. I wish we had got Monahan and Johnny on 8 year deals, even if that had pushed Johnny's cap north of 7 per at the time - because I believe we're about to see Panarin get 10.5M per next summer. Kucherov's 9.5M per also makes me wish we had Johnny longer-term for 7.75M or so.

Last edited by ComixZone; 07-13-2018 at 02:39 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:36 PM   #63
Nevermind32
Draft Pick

Flames 6 years

Six years hopefully. cross fingers!

John Lopez
Nevermind32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:39 PM   #64
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Yeah, really kinda looks like Hanifin and Tkachuk are going to get bridged out to 2020-2021 that's when we get the Brodie/Hamonic/Stone/Brouwer/Frolik money freed to give them longterm deals don't see the wiggle room to sign them earlier with the only major money coming off the book this season being Smith (and I wager we'll need to spend that money + any cap inflation on another goalie).
I don't see why Tkachuk would need to be bridged.

Next year, Brouwer is an easy buyout, if he isn't bought out this year. Frolik is an easy move, as he will have one year left on his contract. Stone will likely need to be moved, as the kids push. Smith will be UFA, and will likely re-sign for less.

Lots of flexibility.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #65
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed. Don't think Tkachuk will be getting a bridge. Cap also went up 4.5M this year, in part due to Vegas, next year there's not anyone of note to get a raise outside of Tkachuk (Bennett will need a notable good year to get a noticeable raise). Flames may be banking on just giving all that extra cap space to Tkachuk.

So if the cap goes up, say, 4M, Smith (or replacement) signs for a million less, and Tkachuk's already 1M salary, that's 6M to sign him without having to buyout Brouwer or move Frolik/Stone which likely happens.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:50 PM   #66
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

6Yx5M sounds right.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:14 PM   #67
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Next year, Brouwer is an easy buyout, if he isn't bought out this year. Frolik is an easy move, as he will have one year left on his contract. Stone will likely need to be moved, as the kids push. Smith will be UFA, and will likely re-sign for less.
See... I don't think those are as much a certainty as you seem to. I mean I'm sure they could find a way... I'm just not sure they can find a way that's any easier then just giving him a 1 year bridge and signing him long-term come January 1.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:26 PM   #68
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
So if the cap goes up, say, 4M, Smith (or replacement) signs for a million less, and Tkachuk's already 1M salary, that's 6M to sign him without having to buyout Brouwer or move Frolik/Stone which likely happens.
Maybe. Although Smith signing for a million less means the Flames are paying about 500K more (Arizona is eating about 25% of his current contract). Smith (or rather the goalie situation) is why I think Tkachuk might have to take a small bridge deal. I don't know if Smith resigns here (don't even know if we'll even want 37 year old Mike Smith as our #1) and the Goalie situation will need to get dealt with and dealing with it might eat up any cap inflation.

Also I really really really like Tkachuk... I think hoping to get him at 6M on a long term deal might be overly optimistic.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:33 PM   #69
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hope it's not 6 or 7 years as he hasn't even played a single game for the flames yet. I wanted a 3 year deal, but I guess the league favours the players these days. I just hope he doesn't pull a Loui Eriksson.
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:41 PM   #70
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by locsofblu View Post
Hope it's not 6 or 7 years as he hasn't even played a single game for the flames yet. I wanted a 3 year deal, but I guess the league favours the players these days. I just hope he doesn't pull a Loui Eriksson.
If Lindholm became Loui Eriksson that would be incredible.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:42 PM   #71
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

5MM still seems high to me for Lindholm, especially when half or most of those years are RFA years.
Niemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:51 PM   #72
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
If Lindholm became Loui Eriksson that would be incredible.
Only if it's pre-30-year-old Loui Eriksson.
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:51 PM   #73
Completely
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by locsofblu View Post
I wonder if you said the same about when we first got and signed dougie?
Completely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:56 PM   #74
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Completely View Post
I wonder if you said the same about when we first got and signed dougie?
I don't think I did. I didn't know to much about Hamilton when we first traded for him. Hope it all works out in the end but I'm not a fan of long term deals especially when the player hasn't played a game as a flame yet.
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #75
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-and_stuff View Post
Only if it's pre-30-year-old Loui Eriksson.
Oh I didn’t realize he was comparing the play and progression of a 23 year old to that of a player almost a decade older than him. My mistake...
Old 07-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #76
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niemo View Post
5MM still seems high to me for Lindholm, especially when half or most of those years are RFA years.
Isn't it just 2 RFA years?

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:39 PM   #77
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ok, if we are playing the "Price is Right" I'll go for 5 years at 4.5 as these predictions trend to overprice our players.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 07-13-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:52 PM   #78
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post
$5.25M USD is also $6.91M CAD right now. Taxes, obviously are an issue, but if you take into account all of other financial issues such as the exchange rate, cost of living in bigger cities versus smaller cities etc etc the money more or less ends up being a wash.

If these issues were as big of a deal as people are making them out to be, then New York, who have some of the highest tax burdens in the US and arguably the highest costs of living would have a supremely difficult time attracting UFA's and retaining talent... which is definitely not the case.

Edit.
Further to that point, just having a quick look at the NYR's player salaries, for the most part, they are all paid their NHL market value. There doesn't seem to be a premium paid by the NYR's to take into account the high cost of living or high tax burden, which I think really dispels the myth that NHL GM's care too much about the tax implications in their jurisdiction.
Why do you mention the exchange rate?
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:59 PM   #79
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
Why do you mention the exchange rate?
Cuz all players are paid in USD, so when the Canadian dollar is low it’s actually a benefit to the player. They can just convert their USD into CAD and boom you have 30% more money than someone making the same salary in a US market.

Giordano mentioned this as part of his negotiation too. He said, at the time, it actually netted him like 9mill Canadian, and since there’s not a 30% decrease in standard of living or increase in cost of living in Canada vs the US he comes out on top in that equation.

Last edited by Coach; 07-13-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 05:26 PM   #80
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reading this thread makes me long for the early 80’s when hockey was more about the game and less about salaries, exchange rates and the almighty dollar. Back then nobody knew or cared what each player made.