Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2018, 02:37 PM   #201
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
He seems more likely to turn into a solid 2 way, 3rd line player than an offensive top 6 at this point.
That's not necessarily a bad thing, just not reflective of his draft position. A Backlund type mold is his max potential IMO.
Of course that seems more likely... that's all he's been used as up to this point. No PP time, consistently on the third line...

You drafted him expecting a top 6 forward, you treat him and groom him as a bottom six forward, and eventually you can't really expect him to develop into anything but a bottom six forward.

I hope he does develop and I think it will happen, I wish he would get brouwerplay minutes over the next little while here, and maybe a bump up the lineup if anyone falters.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:42 PM   #202
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Sam really needs to be sat for a game or two.

Simply not adding anything to the team, in fact is hurting them.

Nothing wrong with a young guy struggling to watch for a bit from above, reset, come back strong.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:42 PM   #203
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Sam really needs to be sat for a game or two.

Simply not adding anything to the team, in fact is hurting them.

Nothing wrong with a young guy struggling to watch for a bit from above, reset, come back strong.
Yeah, a game in the press box would be good.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:57 PM   #204
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d rather have Brouwer playing right now then bennett. Very unfortunate that Bennett has seen zero progression in his time with the Flames. Luckily most of the other young players have shown progression which makes me think that it’s not a Flames development issue but it’s a Sam bennett might just be a big fat bust issue. Win some and you lose some with the draft, I just don’t see it at all with him.

Last edited by Beninho; 02-09-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:05 PM   #205
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Kid needs to be sat. He’s back to his old ineffective, uninspired and frustrating self. Hurts his team with unbelievably dumb selfish penalties. He doesn’t get it and may never will, the type of penalties he takes are purely instinctual. The way he’s been playing for most of this season, I’m not sure how much rope he’ll have left with this organization.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:24 PM   #206
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Inconsistent. That’s the only word we should associate with Bennett. At this point we’ll be lucky if he turns into an effective third line player, which at this point he isn’t
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:27 PM   #207
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I think that trading a player who will probably become a scoring winger for an aging scoring winger is very near sighted. This team is not a cup contender yet, and they shouldn't be forced into a position where they have to act like a contender. There is no quick fix in the NHL. I think that patience is very important for the management, and the fans.
What in Bennett’s progression (steadily down) suggests that he is destined to be a scoring player at any position? At this point I’m just hoping he can be an ok fourth line grinder, which he isn’t at this point. It sucks but it is what it is. This #### about it being Gulutzans fault is hilarious given how well Tkachuk has developed under him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonkaupp For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2018, 08:29 PM   #208
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamefan1 View Post
Bennett will play a big role on this team. We should not be talking about trading this guy or we will quickly become another Edmonton Oiler team (see Hall, Schultz and Eberle).
Lol, Bennett as a flame isn’t in Oiler versions of Hall or Eberles stratosphere. Give me a break
Old 02-09-2018, 08:32 PM   #209
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamefan1 View Post
Bennett will play a big role on this team. We should not be talking about trading this guy or we will quickly become another Edmonton Oiler team (see Hall, Schultz and Eberle).
If you ask me, Bennett is actually trending closer to Yakupov right now. The numbers aren’t all that different and the sheer number of bad penalties he takes has to put him in the same ball park.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:55 PM   #210
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Comparing Bennett to Hall and Eberle is ridiculous because the latter 2 are very good players who always put up good numbers but the Oilers have no idea what asset management is and traded them off for awful value. Bennett has had zero consistency and has way more bad games then good. If Bennett could recoup a first right now I think the Flames would take it, no team is offering their 1st for Bennett tho.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:06 PM   #211
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Agree with the disappointment over Bennett. I'm feeling it too.

That said, I don't see the logic in trading him given how low his value would be. Something needs to change and it's up to the coaching staff that implement it. I do agree that sitting for a game or two would be a good start.

I still have faith that he can turn it around, but it is only faith at this point, rather than being performance-based.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:12 PM   #212
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe Bennett was holding Brouwer back...
Old 02-09-2018, 09:21 PM   #213
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

The more I watch Sam Bennett the more I'm reminded of Benoit Pouliot.

Both were top-five picks (both fourth, actually).
Both are players with solid frames.
Both play with an edge without being dirty.
Both have good hands.
Both are decent skaters.
Neither has good vision.
Neither has a great release.
And what reminds me most is both take a ludicrous amount of needless offensive zone penalties. It's just one after another.

I'm not saying Bennett is Pouliot, because Bennett is better offensively and has a higher ceiling still...but Pouliot was never able to overcome his lack of hockey IQ despite good attributes in many other areas, or "on paper". I sure hope Bennett can turn things around but it seems like his decision making is declining instead of improving. I said on this forum I thought this would be his 50-point breakout year, but barring a nice mid-season run, he's been mostly a disappointment. Two immensely frustrating players.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:26 PM   #214
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bennett, so disappointing. How much longer can the Flames afford to keep him in the line up?

'But why isn't he on the top line? Its Glen Gulutzan's fault!' ....please. Just stop.

Time to recoup a second round pick while we still can. Brutal.

Last edited by TOfan; 02-09-2018 at 09:30 PM.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:28 PM   #215
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I hope BT can sell Chayka on the change of scenery angle and try and pull Max Domi for Bennett and a little plus.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:35 PM   #216
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
I hope BT can sell Chayka on the change of scenery angle and try and pull Max Domi for Bennett and a little plus.
Plus a little? I would do it straight up and throw in a mid round pick.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:53 PM   #217
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Plus a little? I would do it straight up and throw in a mid round pick.
I’d rather try and pry Dvorak out of AZ for Bennett. If Back’s is gone, Chucky gets his old Center back?
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:56 PM   #218
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why was Bennett such a beast as a rookie and in the playoffs last season? I know he has great hockey in him. He is good in front of the net and along the boards. Something is wrong with him upstairs. I wish GG could figure something out.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:15 PM   #219
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
Why was Bennett such a beast as a rookie and in the playoffs last season? I know he has great hockey in him. He is good in front of the net and along the boards. Something is wrong with him upstairs. I wish GG could figure something out.
Why did Rene bourque look like a force for 2-3 years?

It's not up to GG to figure Sam out, it's up to Sam.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:21 PM   #220
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
I’d rather try and pry Dvorak out of AZ for Bennett. If Back’s is gone, Chucky gets his old Center back?
Not sure how losing Bennett and backlund for Dvorak makes sense.