Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-18-2018, 04:36 PM   #281
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
What do people really expect from the 1st game at that position? Goalies are all about reflexes. Do you expect Major League batters to be 100% dialled in for the 1st game of spring training? Goaltending is similar.

Some of you appear to be expecting perfection in the 1st game of preseason at the hardest position to play in the league. That's just not how it works in real life. Players take a few games to get in the groove, get their reflexes, timing and positioning back.

Some of these discussions are just bizarre.

If you didn't think Rittich showed NHL promise last year I don't know what to say.
So why isn't every G in the league suffering the same fate?

Granted i havent watched many others but i see 2 GA, 3 GA regularly from other teams.

\Whats so special about Rittch's ability that he cant be in the same sort of readiness?
Old 09-18-2018, 04:39 PM   #282
Drunk Uncle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Halak played well it seemed for a first game.
True but Hrudey pointed out a bunch of times in the broadcast just how unusual it was to see a goalie dialed in like Halak in game one of the preseason and that it usually takes a couple games to get comfortable.

I'd wait a game or two before forming any judgement regarding Rittich's play this year.
Drunk Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:47 PM   #283
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

Granted i havent watched many others but i see 2 GA, 3 GA regularly from other teams.

\Whats so special about Rittch's ability that he cant be in the same sort of readiness?
In the past two days there have also been a bunch of teams that have surrendered four, five, and seven goals in their first pre-season games. I don't think Rittich is in a special category so much as he had a really bad first pre-season game. It's really not such an unusual thing to occur even if goalies like Saros and Halak crushed their first games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:17 PM   #284
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Geez. Or maybe it was the first game of the season for a position that takes some time to get back in the groove? You think goaltenders can go flawlessly from not seeing real NHL shots all summer to suddenly being peppered by shots? Pretty unrealistic ask IMO.

Man do some people overanalyze performances in the 1st preseason game.
Like I said, this is criticism that I've been seeing since the latter half of last season. Also, getting your feet set for a shot is a pretty basic part of goaltending. I'm just trying to give some context for why he played the way he did last game and how/why the goals went in. Can it improve as training camp progresses? It's pretty likely.

Man do some people overreact on basic criticisms of players.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:41 PM   #285
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Flames goalies will now have the privilege to practice with more skilled players which will do wonders on their positional play, play reading and confidence.

And if that does not translate and the players are the ones that benefit from it by boosting their confidence, well I don't mind watching them win 8-7 or 7-6!
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:09 PM   #286
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Uncle View Post
True but Hrudey pointed out a bunch of times in the broadcast just how unusual it was to see a goalie dialed in like Halak in game one of the preseason and that it usually takes a couple games to get comfortable.

I'd wait a game or two before forming any judgement regarding Rittich's play this year.
Very true. I don't believe anything in pre-season anyhow. Damned Kobasew.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:19 PM   #287
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What do people really expect from the 1st game at that position? Goalies are all about reflexes. Do you expect Major League batters to be 100% dialled in for the 1st game of spring training? Goaltending is similar.
I disagree. While the defence hung him out to dry, Rittich is having troubles tracking the play entirely.

The first Oilers goal he read the play incredibly poorly and had a much delayed push-off to get across the net as a result. Bouchard was wide open on the right, not a single Flame on him.

And Benson was doing this. See, right away I'm thinking "pass, pass, PASS" if I'm a goalie.

Well, this is where Rittich is positioned at the time of the pass hitting the tape of Bouchard.

He is literally JUST starting his push off. Leaving half the empty net to shoot at.

You can pine it off on preseason nerves and sluggish reflexes, but to me this is the result of a terrible read on an obvious play.

EDIT - Here's Scheifele on goalies and Price in particular. He describes this exact play in great detail in the bolded.
Quote:
A lot of people think playing goalie is just all reflexes and rebound control, but that’s only 25% of the battle. At this level, 75% of it is reading the play and knowing guys’ tendencies and being the smartest guy on the ice.

As a goalie, if your team turns the puck over and you’re facing a 3-on-2, your brain has to make all these little micro-decisions to read the play in the span of a few seconds. For example, you might first look at the open man and notice that he’s a left-handed shot on the left side. That means he can’t open his body up for the one-timer in the middle of the ice. If the pass comes across, it’s going to take him a half-second to control it and shoot from the outside of his body. So you might cheat a half-step over to the puck carrier’s side to take away his angle, because you know that the lefty getting it is the least-bad situation.

Last edited by Gaskal; 09-18-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Gaskal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gaskal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 07:25 PM   #288
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

Having a bad first preseason game isn't unique to David Rittich. It happens to basically every goalie at every level of hockey.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:34 PM   #289
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Very early in the pre-season to panic but Flames goaltending has been very underwhelming on all fronts thus far.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #290
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Very early in the pre-season to panic but Flames goaltending has been very underwhelming on all fronts thus far.
It's. The. First. Game. Of. Pre. Season. For. All. Of. Them.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:18 AM   #291
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
I disagree. While the defence hung him out to dry, Rittich is having troubles tracking the play entirely.

EDIT - Here's Scheifele on goalies and Price in particular. He describes this exact play in great detail in the bolded.
This is all accurate. However, getting your mental game up to speed is as important as the physical game. He was slow, because he isn’t in season shape yet, mentally.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote