Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2023, 03:28 PM   #1
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Upgrading Microsoft Office Knowledge

My wife is looking to get some exposure to the world of MS Office, as she never used it back in her home country. With her wanting to transition her career to more of an administrative/office environment, MS Office will be vital for her to know. Obviously there are online tutorials and such, but she prefers to learn via an instructor either in class or online.

I used to use some training companies a while ago when I was starting out my own career, but the ones I used seem to be gone now. I found some courses on BV College which seems like a good fit. A few random sites here and there.

Looking to see if anyone has any suggestions or can recommend any good learning workshops for a MS Office (specifically Excel & Word) beginner?
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 03:32 PM   #2
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

LinkedIn learning is free where I work. Not instructor based but could be complimentary? You get workbooks and content to follow along with. Bvc non-credit used to have good stuff.. would have to check
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2023, 03:36 PM   #3
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depending on level of knowledge, you can start with Coursera: https://www.coursera.org/projects/ge...oft-office-365
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2023, 03:39 PM   #4
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
LinkedIn learning is free where I work. Not instructor based but could be complimentary? You get workbooks and content to follow along with. Bvc non-credit used to have good stuff.. would have to check
It’s available free through CPL.

https://calgarylibrary.ca/read-learn...g-for-library/
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2023, 03:51 PM   #5
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can get free access to LinkedIn Learning with a library card, which is also free in Calgary.

The BVC courses look like they're all what's they call Anytime Online, meaning you work through the course at your own pace on your own schedule without any scheduled instruction time, but there is an instructor available, as well as some group discussion forums available for the students to chat with each other and the instructor. I'm not sure if that would work for her.
Old 01-29-2023, 08:30 PM   #6
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Depending on level of knowledge, you can start with Coursera: https://www.coursera.org/projects/ge...oft-office-365
This is a really cool site!
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 12:14 PM   #7
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Start with a Youtube video of what these programs can do and how they're typically used. Then afterwards, jump into the programs once you have an idea about what is going on from 100 feet up.

For excel, I always used Exceljet, but I concur that lots of what is taught there is excessive for what most people typically require.

If you actually use almost everything in Exceljet and some of the other programs, you have to quietly ask why the company is using excel rather than going to a database type program. Then you ask yourself whether you should stay.

Seriously speaking, this is the case with some companies who are worth hundreds of millions and some in excess of a billion dollars. You've probably heard of them in the news and didn't even know it. It's idiotic and an obvious sinking ship if management can't even figure #### like that out at that levels of a company of those sizes. 7 days to do calculations that should take 70 seconds with the right tools. It's moronic for a million dollar company, let alone hundreds of millions or a billion.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:05 PM   #8
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
CPL probably also has free access to Udemy training as well. Lots of self-paced instructor led courses you can sign up for on Udemy.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
excel , microsoft , office , upgrade , word