Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2023, 11:25 AM   #21
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Romaine is back in stock at Costco. Almost back to regular pricing.
Old 01-27-2023, 11:26 AM   #22
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Isn't it all kiosk touchscreens already? How will that change? Like scan your membership card at the kiosk before it will even give you options?
Yeah that's what's supposed to happen eventually. I think there's still a few Costcos with a cashier.
Old 01-27-2023, 11:52 AM   #23
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Don't think I've have had anything from the Costco restaurant, I always forget it's even a thing.
Its decent food that cheap as borscht!

However I'm usually in a hurry to GTFO of Costco so I rarely stop for food.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 12:20 PM   #24
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Tell them you're going to the pharmacy.

Food court is eventually going all electronic ordering and will require your card to enable ordering so down those hot dogs as fast as you can.
In the states, they required me to show my membership card before I could get food. It was kinda jarring for a moment after getting used to what we do here. I almost always send the wife and kids to grab food while I paid. I spawned the extra card to my wife, but she's the type who doesn't bring her purse because she "didn't think she needed it" so it might become an issue if this is a thing going forward.

It was also weird to see they take VISA and debit in Costco USA vs Mastercard and debit here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I wish we had the churros in Canada that are available at the US food courts. Those things are awesome.
I had twisted churros in the States. I agree, I don't get why we don't get those here. Cultural thing or something else?

Losing the onion option for hotdogs kinda sucks. I thought it had to do with the confusion due to the single use plastic ban... but who knows. I think banana peppers are gone for a similar reason.

Sippy cups are kinda neat. Paper straws are getting on my nerves. Can't they revive that super loud Sun Chips bag material and use it to line a straw so it doesn't turn to mush after 5 minutes ish?

Last edited by DoubleF; 01-27-2023 at 12:23 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 12:22 PM   #25
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Don't think I've have had anything from the Costco restaurant, I always forget it's even a thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Its decent food that cheap as borscht!

A hot dog, root beer and a poutine make for a fun cheap date night.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 12:47 PM   #26
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
My wife and I used to do two hot dogs and a bucket of chicken. Agreed it's so cheap and you get so full.

Does anyone still do the $40 feast as a bachelor party game or game in general? Or at least witnessed it? Basically groom has to spend $40 ish at the Costco restaurant and eat it all or face punishment, but he can do $15-20 buy-ins for the groomsmen to join in. The groom can demand that others in the group do a $20 feast on their own for a $5 add on to themselves.

You don't have to order all the food on the spot. You can keep adding $5-10 bucks at a time so it's easier to get to the table and the food doesn't get cold.

$40 is a lot of food there. That's like 8 poutines, or like 25 hot dogs + 25 drinks, or 4 full pizzas or a bucket of wings and a pizza.

I tried to do this with friends on a few occasions and they always get cold feet at the last minute. One friend got grossed out and told me to stop and now calls me Kobayashi to this day after watching me eat 12 hotdogs. I didn't tell him this, but I'm pretty sure my max would have been 15. No way I was doing the full 25-26 hot dogs.
Old 01-27-2023, 12:50 PM   #27
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
In the states, they required me to show my membership card before I could get food. It was kinda jarring for a moment after getting used to what we do here. I almost always send the wife and kids to grab food while I paid. I spawned the extra card to my wife, but she's the type who doesn't bring her purse because she "didn't think she needed it" so it might become an issue if this is a thing going forward.

It was also weird to see they take VISA and debit in Costco USA vs Mastercard and debit here.
I like that Costco plays hardball with Credit Card companies.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 12:53 PM   #28
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I had twisted churros in the States. I agree, I don't get why we don't get those here. Cultural thing or something else?

Losing the onion option for hotdogs kinda sucks. I thought it had to do with the confusion due to the single use plastic ban... but who knows. I think banana peppers are gone for a similar reason.

Sippy cups are kinda neat. Paper straws are getting on my nerves. Can't they revive that super loud Sun Chips bag material and use it to line a straw so it doesn't turn to mush after 5 minutes ish?
I'd rather have fries and poutine here instead of churros. The Montana one didn't have fries.
Old 01-27-2023, 12:54 PM   #29
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We have that every Monday at 11am.
$9.50

and my wife doesn't drink pop so I get 2 drinks.
Old 01-27-2023, 01:02 PM   #30
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I'd rather have fries and poutine here instead of churros. The Montana one didn't have fries.
Oh true. The Hawaii one didn't have fries as well which was a strange surprise to me.
Old 01-27-2023, 01:07 PM   #31
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I was at the Deerfoot Meadows/Heritage Costco today and I noticed they actually took down the sign board advertising their Costco Chicken wings/drumsticks that you could buy by the bucket with Buffalo sauce. It's also gone from the touchscreen menu.

The wings are still available at the Taza Costco to keep your cholesterol nice and high.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 01:29 PM   #32
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I don’t believe any US Costcos have fries. They do have chicken bakes though (which used to be awesome but now are just okay — not sure if they changed the ingredients or if it’s just me).

The US used to have MASSIVE ice cream bars (covered in chocolate and then coated in almond slivers for $1.50. They discontinued them several years ago — those were so good.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 01:50 PM   #33
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My wife and I used to do two hot dogs and a bucket of chicken. Agreed it's so cheap and you get so full.

Does anyone still do the $40 feast as a bachelor party game or game in general? Or at least witnessed it? Basically groom has to spend $40 ish at the Costco restaurant and eat it all or face punishment, but he can do $15-20 buy-ins for the groomsmen to join in. The groom can demand that others in the group do a $20 feast on their own for a $5 add on to themselves.

You don't have to order all the food on the spot. You can keep adding $5-10 bucks at a time so it's easier to get to the table and the food doesn't get cold.

$40 is a lot of food there. That's like 8 poutines, or like 25 hot dogs + 25 drinks, or 4 full pizzas or a bucket of wings and a pizza.

I tried to do this with friends on a few occasions and they always get cold feet at the last minute. One friend got grossed out and told me to stop and now calls me Kobayashi to this day after watching me eat 12 hotdogs. I didn't tell him this, but I'm pretty sure my max would have been 15. No way I was doing the full 25-26 hot dogs.
I'm totally using this as a bet for something. I'll make it $50 and you can't leave until you've eaten all that food or the store closes. God I hope I don't lose whatever this ends up being for!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 02:08 PM   #34
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Since I was a kid, sippy was the way to go! I love the new lids so much! So happy to see paper straws get evicted from Costco. I wish other places would follow suit with the same style lids.
Or, you know, we could use compostable plastic straws. Way better than a non compostable sippy lid.

Does anyone know why paper straws became the norm instead of compostable plastic? Is it just a cost thing?

I'd happily pay the increased cost of the compostable plastic straw instead of paper - I do anyway as I have a supply of them in my vehicles.
Draug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 03:11 PM   #35
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
Or, you know, we could use compostable plastic straws. Way better than a non compostable sippy lid.

Does anyone know why paper straws became the norm instead of compostable plastic? Is it just a cost thing?

I'd happily pay the increased cost of the compostable plastic straw instead of paper - I do anyway as I have a supply of them in my vehicles.
As far as I am aware compostable plastic is only compostable with a fairly high level of heat, so not that much better.

I think the best option is compostable plastic sippy cup lids. Might be a little bit challenging at their $0.87 price point.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 03:49 PM   #36
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:

Compostable/bio-degrable plastics are still considered unconventional plastics by the feds who say they are still a threat to wildlife and do not decompose as advertise in landfills or get sorted out by facilities and are getting banned as well. I personally like plastic straws but I have seen some of the horrors when ingested by wildlife like turtles.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...l-plastics-ban
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 04:02 PM   #37
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Costco hot dogs, Ikea meatballs... what other ones are there?
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 09:06 PM   #38
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Costco hot dogs, Ikea meatballs... what other ones are there?
Used to be totem popcorn
Old 01-27-2023, 09:09 PM   #39
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Funny thing is my wife eats crap like that all the time (doesn't get fat). That actually does sound like her perfect date.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 11:42 PM   #40
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:

I have a ziplock bag full of plastic straws that I keep in the glove box of both my vehicles. Handy to have when eating out at a fast food place. Paper straws are useless as they fall apart before you finish your drink.