Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Will the Flames make the playoffs?
Yes 291 59.75%
No 196 40.25%
Voters: 487. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2023, 07:52 AM   #341
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
trashing their starting goalie is painting the Flames in a better light?

Vladar has played 19 games
Markstrom 33

Its hardly a small sample size, Christ they might be even if things continue

If the Flames get average or better goaltending they will make the playoffs...if they don't they probably won't.

It boggles the mind that people don't realize how much goaltending matters to winning and losing in the NHL, coaches joke they should change the name from Hockey to Goaltending.

Markstom has absolutely blown 4-5 games that would have been wins with AVERAGE goaltending not even good goaltending...its not like I am saying "he could have stolen 4 more" he legit gave them away
Well you avoided my question about your 111 point pace claim. If you looked into it, I think you'd find one major factor contributing to the better record under Vladar which is clearly not sustainable.

But as for your rant about needing better goaltending, maybe read what people are posting. Couldn't agree more that the club needs better and more consistent goaltending. Why do you think they keep trotting out Markstrom? Because he has shown he can play at an elite level and you want to give him very chance to get back there. As good as Vladar has been, he hasn't yet shown to be much above average.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:53 AM   #342
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Exactly.

And the numbers support that.
Most teams that are struggling to make the playoffs probably can say the same thing except maybe Ilses and Preds

To me the struggling first line (Huberdeau) and PP are probably as much a factor
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 08:02 AM   #343
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Well you avoided my question about your 111 point pace claim. If you looked into it, I think you'd find one major factor contributing to the better record under Vladar which is clearly not sustainable.

But as for your rant about needing better goaltending, maybe read what people are posting. Couldn't agree more that the club needs better and more consistent goaltending. Why do you think they keep trotting out Markstrom? Because he has shown he can play at an elite level and you want to give him very chance to get back there. As good as Vladar has been, he hasn't yet shown to be much above average.
I'm not avoiding anything...the Flames have been substantially better with the average goaltending is the point. Complain about anything else if you like, the fact remains if they were getting NHL average goaltending from both guys we wouldn't be questioning playoffs. The "eye test" looks worse to people because so many chances end up in the back of the net...Flames don't allow a lot. You are ignoring the actual statistics and making up others because you so badly want to prove the Flames have been bad defensively for some reason. They haven't.

Last edited by dino7c; 01-31-2023 at 08:13 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 08:43 AM   #344
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Most teams that are struggling to make the playoffs probably can say the same thing except maybe Ilses and Preds

To me the struggling first line (Huberdeau) and PP are probably as much a factor
Most teams are within 5 spots ... that is rank in points % and rank in xGF%

The Flames are -14 between the two.

Goaltending and the PP is killing them.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:01 AM   #345
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Why would I stop? It's been pretty consistent. You come at things the same way over and over again.

We don't have to call it a bias though if you don't want.

I'm happy to say it's possible that the models themselves are easier on teams than goaltenders, or that goalie models (gsaa) are tough on all goaltenders.

But I won't make the leap that the Flames specifically have found a way to give up more high danger that isn't registered than other teams. That's a huge leap in my mind, and it's completely unfounded.

I don't blame you for not wanting to watch every game to prove it though!
Impossible to argue with the bolded. But it sure feels like some of the losses this year can be attributed to serious defensive gaffes. And that Flames don't often win the odd man rush contest. Now maybe dino claims I am watching some other game by feeling this way but I'm not so quick to dismiss it.

That's not to absolve goaltending. It seems to me that this team needs to win by outchancing the opposition by a decent margin. They just don't have the guys who can bury low/medium chances. So even if chances are a push, that's probably not good enough.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:05 AM   #346
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I'm not avoiding anything...the Flames have been substantially better with the average goaltending is the point. Complain about anything else if you like, the fact remains if they were getting NHL average goaltending from both guys we wouldn't be questioning playoffs. The "eye test" looks worse to people because so many chances end up in the back of the net...Flames don't allow a lot. You are ignoring the actual statistics and making up others because you so badly want to prove the Flames have been bad defensively for some reason. They haven't.
Nope don't badly want to prove anything. But I will ask you again why the Flames are on an 111 point pace with Vladar?

Does average goaltending help move this team up from 9th and out of the playoffs? Of course it does.

Does it put them into elite contender status and on a Conference winning pace? Not in my opinion.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:06 AM   #347
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Impossible to argue with the bolded. But it sure feels like some of the losses this year can be attributed to serious defensive gaffes. And that Flames don't often win the odd man rush contest. Now maybe dino claims I am watching some other game by feeling this way but I'm not so quick to dismiss it.

That's not to absolve goaltending. It seems to me that this team needs to win by outchancing the opposition by a decent margin. They just don't have the guys who can bury low/medium chances. So even if chances are a push, that's probably not good enough.
I'd agree.

The goaltending isn't even bad, per say ... it's just average.

And the Flames ability to finish seems to be below average.

Predictable result of a lot of one goal losses.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 09:58 AM   #348
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Markstrom has been bad, but the Flames are also on pace to score around 35 fewer goals this season than last season. What pace would they be on with 35 more goals this year? That's a pretty similar number of goals as Markstrom's poor play projects to cost the team over the course of the season.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 11:26 AM   #349
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nope don't badly want to prove anything. But I will ask you again why the Flames are on an 111 point pace with Vladar?

Does average goaltending help move this team up from 9th and out of the playoffs? Of course it does.

Does it put them into elite contender status and on a Conference winning pace? Not in my opinion.
Division winning pace...4-5 wins

Anyway we dont need to argue about this for a week