Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2022, 07:29 AM   #41
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jebus. Way to show total misunderstanding of the issue and the point at hand. Where has he been praising the Qataris?

It's not that his opinion is for sale or that he is running round praising the Qataris as he takes their cash.

It's his hypocrisy that he's running around claiming to be a champion in highlighting the issues then signing up for BeIN for the tournament.

The issue is his silly defence that he can either highlight the issues or stay at home when Hislop rightly points out he can highlight the issues without taking their money.

So yes, there's no argument that he's an idiot or a hypocrite whose credibility on this particular issue is worthless. But that doesn't mean we have to start lying about him saying he's been praising the Qataris.

But what an absolutely stupid move from a PR pov to agree to host Have I got news for you. That was always going to happen.

Next up I want to hear Beckham defend his decision to be their ambassador.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 08:24 AM   #42
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would enjoy a football only WC thread. So if there's a new post it's a football post. Need host discussion too, but separate from team/Nation sporting News.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 01:45 PM   #43
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

I think it'll become a football only thread when the games kick off. There's obviously not a lot to talk about now other than the absurdly huge elephant in the room.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 09:57 AM   #44
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Would enjoy a football only WC thread. So if there's a new post it's a football post. Need host discussion too, but separate from team/Nation sporting News.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
I think it'll become a football only thread when the games kick off. There's obviously not a lot to talk about now other than the absurdly huge elephant in the room.
Yes, when I made the thread I wanted it to be a football discussion, but I felt it important to open saying something of the staggering level of corruption and abuse at this WC.

...Now going back to the football discussion and what Canada's goals should be...

I think Canada's goal before the draw and after the draw should still be R16. If players and operations staff's only goal is to not get embarrassed, then they should just fold the tent now. R16 HAS to be the goal.

Canada should press and throw everything they have at Morocco. The goal has to be a win. Morocco is not weak, but much must be risked in war.

Canada should play careful but confident against Belgium and Croatia in hopes of an upset or a draw. Neither Croatia or Belgium are unbeatable. 3+1 points usually can get you to R16. IMO the only unbeatable teams on paper are BRA and FRA, despite losing Pogba. Maybe ENG, but their coach is a dummy.

Playing safe and losing is the same as playing to win and losing. But at least if you play to win, you have a chance at upsets. LFG
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 11:02 AM   #45
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Yes, when I made the thread I wanted it to be a football discussion, but I felt it important to open saying something of the staggering level of corruption and abuse at this WC.

...Now going back to the football discussion and what Canada's goals should be...

I think Canada's goal before the draw and after the draw should still be R16. If players and operations staff's only goal is to not get embarrassed, then they should just fold the tent now. R16 HAS to be the goal.

Canada should press and throw everything they have at Morocco. The goal has to be a win. Morocco is not weak, but much must be risked in war.

Canada should play careful but confident against Belgium and Croatia in hopes of an upset or a draw. Neither Croatia or Belgium are unbeatable. 3+1 points usually can get you to R16. IMO the only unbeatable teams on paper are BRA and FRA, despite losing Pogba. Maybe ENG, but their coach is a dummy.

Playing safe and losing is the same as playing to win and losing. But at least if you play to win, you have a chance at upsets. LFG
Exactly what I've been saying. Take points off Morocco and try and snag 1 point somewhere else.

That being said, its important to be cautious. One bad game where you get your ass handed to you and your goal difference is shot.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 11:05 AM   #46
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Key for Canada will be if they can contain Modric & De Bruyne in those two games.

If they can do that and then attack with pace on the wings then I think they have a shot, but it will all come down to how they contain those two in central midfield.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 11:22 AM   #47
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

The problem for Canada is the potentially easier Morocco game is their last game in the group, and it's highly possible that Belgium and Croatia are already on full points and qualified by then (Locke mentioned earlier that maybe Canada can squeak third place, but actually only the top two qualify from the group)

In other news - World Cup-bound referee shows 10 red cards in fiery Argentina cup final
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 01:33 PM   #48
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
The problem for Canada is the potentially easier Morocco game is their last game in the group, and it's highly possible that Belgium and Croatia are already on full points and qualified by then (Locke mentioned earlier that maybe Canada can squeak third place, but actually only the top two qualify from the group)

In other news - World Cup-bound referee shows 10 red cards in fiery Argentina cup final
All those red cards were legit so i don't think it's a reffing issue.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 01:37 PM   #49
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I cannot wait for this. just got my Canada flag, I've booked off those weekday games for Canada, and I'll be trying to get into the Ship at 7 AM for that first game, haha... that'll be the place to be. Hope y'all come there too!
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 01:40 PM   #50
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
All those red cards were legit so i don't think it's a reffing issue.
Yeah, I wondered that so looked up the ref's stats. He does dish out a lot, but I guess that could be the nature of the Argentinian league.
Old 11-07-2022, 01:42 PM   #51
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I cannot wait for this. just got my Canada flag, I've booked off those weekday games for Canada, and I'll be trying to get into the Ship at 7 AM for that first game, haha... that'll be the place to be. Hope y'all come there too!
The Ship opens at 8:30 for the Canada/Belgium and Canada/Croatia match days and 7:30 am for the Canada/Morocco match day. But if you need someone to pregame with........

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 01:59 PM   #52
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Oh. Well then we are boned.

I thought they had a number of top seed 3rd place teams going through but I'm thinking of the Euros.

Essentially we have to steal points from Croatia or Belgium, massacre Morocco and hope for a miracle.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-07-2022, 01:59 PM   #53
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
The Ship opens at 8:30 for the Canada/Belgium and Canada/Croatia match days and 7:30 am for the Canada/Morocco match day. But if you need someone to pregame with........
Sherm - definitely meet us there at 8:30! I'm coming with some of the regular Cavs crew. I want to ensure we get seats haha
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 02:07 PM   #54
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

wow, that's an early start, the game is at noon!

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 02:37 PM   #55
jlemire
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I can not wait for this!! im headed over to Doha to catch the Croatia and Morocco matches as well as 10 other games! I think once the tourny kicks off all the other talk will be over shadowed by the play on the pitch!
jlemire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jlemire For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 02:45 PM   #56
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oh. Well then we are boned.

I thought they had a number of top seed 3rd place teams going through but I'm thinking of the Euros.

Essentially we have to steal points from Croatia or Belgium, massacre Morocco and hope for a miracle.
Honestly you just need to beat Morocco and then get a point off one of Croatia or Belgium.

The real problem being that Belgium and Croatia are generally really strong in group stages.

Both only have one loss in their last three major tournament group stages (Belgium to Italy, Croatia to England), but they might be due!
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 03:38 PM   #57
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm trying to get my crew of Cavs guys and the guys who went up to Edmonton for the qualifiers a year ago together for the Belgium game. Sounds like the Ship is the place to be
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 04:01 PM   #58
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
I'm trying to get my crew of Cavs guys and the guys who went up to Edmonton for the qualifiers a year ago together for the Belgium game. Sounds like the Ship is the place to be
Agreed - and we should just make it the place to be!
Old 11-07-2022, 06:52 PM   #59
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frank Leboeuf and Gab Marcotti predicting Canada to go through along with Belgium. Showing us some love!

Old 11-07-2022, 08:26 PM   #60
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Sherm - definitely meet us there at 8:30! I'm coming with some of the regular Cavs crew. I want to ensure we get seats haha
I'm taking the bus I would normally go to work down to the Ship so I'll be there for open for sure.

The more hipster the Canada jersey the better.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote