Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2023, 11:01 AM   #9001
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

There have been rumours that O'Reilly will eventually be traded to Toronto. I have no idea how valid they are, but it seems to be what some writers are precicting.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:04 AM   #9002
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Pelts has shown enough and hopefully grows that we don't waste a 1st and prospect on a rental forward.

If any deal needs to be made it is on the backend even with Tanev back a player that can punt Stone out of the lineup would be ideal as I don't think Kylington is back this season and even if he doesn its so late in the season getting him into game shape we don't have the games to spare with how tight it is.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:16 AM   #9003
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

ROR having an off year might make him less expensive to acquire.

Can't argue with the versatility he possesses though. Still a great face off guy, history of being a strong two way player, can play wing or center, won a Conn Smythe trophy and Stanley Cup.

Lots to like if he gets healthy before the trade deadline, but I really hate rentals.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:56 AM   #9004
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames deadline targets by Seravalli - Tarasenko, JvR, Barbashev, Domi.

Last edited by gvitaly; 01-26-2023 at 12:00 PM.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 12:02 PM   #9005
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not that actual cash seems to be an issue but one thing about O'Reilly - his signing bonus was $5M, already paid and his salary was $1M which is half gone. So he costs half a million in real dollars for the rest of the season. He's a pure rental unless the notion is to sign him as a depth guy going forward on short contracts.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 12:04 PM   #9006
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
Flames deadline targets by Seravalli - Tarasenko, JvR, Barbashev, Domi.
Sue me but I'd like Domi. he's always had game

Even though I'm not crazy about it, feels like tarasenko has been destined for the Flames for quite some time, like Kadri
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 12:06 PM   #9007
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tarasenko has an NTC FWIW.
Old 01-26-2023, 12:21 PM   #9008
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The problem is anyone we acquire is a rental, we have no room next year to sign anyone unless you move an existing contract which I can't really see. Hanafin maybe but I think we miss him more than whatever coming in would be.
Old 01-26-2023, 12:37 PM   #9009
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
The problem is anyone we acquire is a rental, we have no room next year to sign anyone unless you move an existing contract which I can't really see. Hanafin maybe but I think we miss him more than whatever coming in would be.
I could see one/both of Zadorov/Kylington moving over the summer. Hanifin could've been an option if either Kylington or Zadorov passed him on the depth chart this season, but they didn't.

I could also see either Toffoli or Mangiapane moving if(and that's a big if) the deadline acquisition has an instant chemistry with Huberdeau.
Old 01-26-2023, 12:58 PM   #9010
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I could see one/both of Zadorov/Kylington moving over the summer. Hanifin could've been an option if either Kylington or Zadorov passed him on the depth chart this season, but they didn't.

I could also see either Toffoli or Mangiapane moving if(and that's a big if) the deadline acquisition has an instant chemistry with Huberdeau.
Flames aren't moving Zadorov
Old 01-26-2023, 01:46 PM   #9011
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
You could be right, but a #5D making $3.75M seems like a luxury they wouldn't be able to afford if there's any plan for an upgrade at forward.

The Flames currently have 16 regulars(Including Kylington but excluding Pelletier, and Gilbert) under contract for next season, with a cap-hit of $80.5M. In a worst case scenario that gives them $3M to spend on 4-7 players. However, if the cap really does go up by $4M up to $86.5M then it would make things a little less tight with $6M in cap space, but I still don't think that's enough cap space for any meaningful upgrade at forward.

Also, half the team currently has NMC/NTC for next season.
NMC - Huberdeau, Kadri, Markstrom.
NTC - Coleman, Weegar
M-NTC - Mangiapane, Backlund, Hanfin, Tanev.

That's why, in my eyes, if we're still going for it next year Z seems like he's the odd man out.
Old 01-26-2023, 02:13 PM   #9012
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You could be right, but a #5D making $3.75M seems like a luxury they wouldn't be able to afford if there's any plan for an upgrade at forward.

The Flames currently have 16 regulars(Including Kylington but excluding Pelletier, and Gilbert) under contract for next season, with a cap-hit of $80.5M. In a worst case scenario that gives them $3M to spend on 4-7 players. However, if the cap really does go up by $4M up to $86.5M then it would make things a little less tight with $6M in cap space, but I still don't think that's enough cap space for any meaningful upgrade at forward.

NTC - Coleman, Weegar

That's why, in my eyes, if we're still going for it next year Z seems like he's the odd man out.
Are you counting Rooney? I would imagine he's buried again next season. I would likely pencil in Pelletier at this point, but Kylington is a big question mark for me.

BTW, Mangiapane doesn't have a clause until next season. I wonder if he could be a target since he's underperformed this season. After that he only has an 8 team no trade list so that leaves a fair bit of room.
Old 01-26-2023, 02:18 PM   #9013
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
This is the correct answer.
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 02:44 PM   #9014
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Are you counting Rooney? I would imagine he's buried again next season. I would likely pencil in Pelletier at this point, but Kylington is a big question mark for me.

BTW, Mangiapane doesn't have a clause until next season. I wonder if he could be a target since he's underperformed this season. After that he only has an 8 team no trade list so that leaves a fair bit of room.
No, I counted Rooney as buried again. I just used the capfriendly number for next season and subtracted Pelletier and Gilbert. I did forget to add Kylington to the number of players signed though, with Kylington it makes it 17 regulars.

Regarding Mangiapane, that's correct, I was just thinking in terms of possible off-season moves, but I agree that one can be made before his modified no trade clause kicks in.

Last edited by gvitaly; 01-26-2023 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-26-2023, 03:05 PM   #9015
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
There have been rumours that O'Reilly will eventually be traded to Toronto. I have no idea how valid they are, but it seems to be what some writers are precicting.
Awesome player to go into the playoffs with. But Toronto needs to upgrade the blueline more than add ROR to the forwards.
Old 01-26-2023, 03:11 PM   #9016
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

NTC - Coleman, Weegar

If you are looking to create cap space but still compete you need to look at who from the AHL can fill in a role for a more expensive player. The Flames have very little on d that can step in and Zadorov has been great.

I'd consider giving Zadorov a long-term extension this summer.

Mangiapane should be the guy that moves. Zary and Pelletier could easily replace him and out of Toffoli, Mangiapane & Coleman, Mangiapane is the youngest, makes the most and probably gets us the best return.

Selling on Toffoli could be smart too and his return could be the best of the 3.

With the additional cap space, I'm just not sure what this team can do. Unless you get a star, they are probably moving out a guy as good as they replace him with. Flames need a star, depth isn't an issue.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 05:01 PM   #9017
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Domi would be a great add for a team playing Sutter hockey.

He is Sutter hockey.
Goriders is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 05:02 PM   #9018
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Domi would be a great add for a team playing Sutter hockey.

He is Sutter hockey.
He is also a 1st round pick from Treliving’s favorite draft.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 05:03 PM   #9019
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we wanted him we would have got him last year when he went for next to nothing.

How about Klingberg?

Last edited by MrMike; 01-26-2023 at 05:06 PM.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 05:28 PM   #9020
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
You could be right, but a #5 D….
Uhhhhh have you been watching games this season?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post: