Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-25-2023, 09:37 AM   #8941
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player
 
Yeah_Baby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: still in edmonton
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoman View Post
Tanev was not at the Flames poker tournament last night. I was at a table with Huberdeau and someone asked him about Tanev and Huby said he had not heard what the injury is.
not good
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Thats why Flames fans make ideal Star Trek fans. We've really been taught to embrace the self-loathing and extreme criticism.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:42 AM   #8942
Goriders
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Like, Luke Schenn? Is Luke Schenn still serviceable? Wasn't this guy floater material for years?
Heís looked not bad in the couple of games I watched.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:47 AM   #8943
Goriders
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I feel like they (Sutter) would be happy moving forward with Weeger-Tanev and finding a RH replacement for Stone.

Thats assuming they feel like the deadline target is a scoring top 6 winger after which they won't be able to spend anything more on a top pairing D
Zadorov Weegar hasnít been the best pairing.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:49 AM   #8944
Goriders
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I think Luke Schenn would be an excellent fit. He's a much better version of Gudbranson.

I do not like the potential bidding war that will manifest to acquire him, especially if vancouver is applying a premium for us.

If we're not willing to give Phillips a fair shot I would be tempted to offer phillips for him.
Iíd guess Phillips is gone after this season as a free agent.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 09:59 AM   #8945
Buff
Franchise Player
 
Buff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: I don't belong here
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Iíd guess Phillips is gone after this season as a free agent.
He'll be going to Europe.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:09 AM   #8946
dustygoon
Franchise Player
 
dustygoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bay Area
Exp:
Default

Agree with others. Enough trading picks for depth. Wish we had better D options in the minors though.
__________________
"Fun must be always" - Tomas Hertl
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:40 AM   #8947
Makarov
Franchise Player
 
Makarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Moscow
Exp:
Default

A Kylington return would be huge for thus team. I think many people forget what a big part of the team he was last season.
__________________
"Life of Russian hockey veterans is very hard," said Soviet hockey star Sergei Makarov. "Most of them don't have enough to eat these days. These old players are Russian legends."
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Makarov For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 10:51 AM   #8948
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up
 
Scroopy Noopers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Plutanamo Bay.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
A Kylington return would be huge for thus team. I think many people forget what a big part of the team he was last season.
We need more offensive threats. And he is exactly that.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:57 AM   #8949
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player
 
Yeah_Baby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: still in edmonton
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
A Kylington return would be huge for thus team. I think many people forget what a big part of the team he was last season.
IF, and that's a big if, he's back this year (which I doubt) I'm not sure he'd be an impact player right away. Having missed the year thus far.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Thats why Flames fans make ideal Star Trek fans. We've really been taught to embrace the self-loathing and extreme criticism.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 11:38 AM   #8950
sa226
#1 Goaltender
 
sa226's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Back in Calgary!!
Exp:
Default

I'm a big fan of Kylington. But I think people are forgetting that he was still a very raw talent that took a huge step last year, but was still sheltered by Tanev. Missing a whole year is not good for his development.

Speaking of hockey alone, I honestly don't really know what would be best for him and the team. Take the year off, reset and be ready for camp next year, or if he's ready return this year.

Even for a veteran, it's very difficult to return after so much time in the midst of a playoff race.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 11:45 AM   #8951
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player
 
SuperMatt18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Zadorov Weegar hasn’t been the best pairing.
This is 100% false - they've actually been our best pairing when played together.

Flames have had 4 pairings that have played over 200 minutes together.

Goals For %:

Zadorov-Weegar: 1st (64.3%)

Expected Goals For %:

Zadorov-Weegar: 1st (56.5%)

Corsi For %:

Zadorov-Weegar: 1st (63.7%)

So results wise they have actually been great together, personally I've liked Weegar with Zadorov more than I have with Tanev. It really is too bad that Kylington hasn't been able to grow on his breakout year last year because if we have Kylington-Tanev to go with the other two pairings and this team would be in 1st in the division is my guess.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-25-2023 at 12:20 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 11:47 AM   #8952
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player
 
OutOfTheCube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Honestly tho, who gives a #### about the Oilers?

They live waaaaaaay to rent free on this forum.

I just care about the Flames and what they're doing. I'll be concern with the Oilers when the Flames are playing them, it's the final weeks of the season in the playoff race where Flames need Oiler loses, or the Oilers are in the playoffs.

Outside of that time they're irrelevant. Just like every other team in the league.
Lol it's an obsession on this board. Trust me, no other message board has multiple multi-thousand post threads dating back years and years dedicated to obsessively trying to dunk over a rival team -- and like not even towards anyone in particular, cause it's just 99% Flames fans here finding new ways to say "Edmonton is bad" and collecting 'Thanks' for it.

It was funny at first but it's to the point of being weird now.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 11:48 AM   #8953
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player
 
GreenLantern2814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
A Kylington return would be huge for thus team. I think many people forget what a big part of the team he was last season.
I wonder if heís dealing with some severe post-concussion stuff? He took some of the most painful-looking hits on the team last year - it canít have been good for his brain.

In any event, he canít be in game shape at this point - if he could work out at that level, heíd be here.

I do agree, though, they were a different team with Oliver in the lineup - he allowed them to play a much faster game.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 11:51 AM   #8954
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre
 
Leeman4Gilmour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Normally, my desk
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoman View Post
Tanev was not at the Flames poker tournament last night. I was at a table with Huberdeau and someone asked him about Tanev and Huby said he had not heard what the injury is.
I read that like I used to read Boring Monahan Tweets. No offense, as I appreciated the info, but it made me giggle.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leeman4Gilmour For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 12:13 PM   #8955
Tacoman
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
I read that like I used to read Boring Monahan Tweets. No offense, as I appreciated the info, but it made me giggle.
Haha! No offense taken. I should have mixed in a fake story of Sutter bullying Pelletier at the urinal.
Tacoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tacoman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 12:29 PM   #8956
dino7c
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Lol it's an obsession on this board. Trust me, no other message board has multiple multi-thousand post threads dating back years and years dedicated to obsessively trying to dunk over a rival team -- and like not even towards anyone in particular, cause it's just 99% Flames fans here finding new ways to say "Edmonton is bad" and collecting 'Thanks' for it.

It was funny at first but it's to the point of being weird now.
well this isn't true, like at all
__________________
GFG
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 12:43 PM   #8957
bzoo02
Scoring Winger
 
bzoo02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Medicine Hat
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I'm a big fan of Kylington. But I think people are forgetting that he was still a very raw talent that took a huge step last year, but was still sheltered by Tanev. Missing a whole year is not good for his development.

Speaking of hockey alone, I honestly don't really know what would be best for him and the team. Take the year off, reset and be ready for camp next year, or if he's ready return this year.

Even for a veteran, it's very difficult to return after so much time in the midst of a playoff race.
I think if he is able to come back, a 2 week conditioning stint in the AHL to get his timing back would be ideal.

It's still Darryl's system, so that won't be foreign to him.
bzoo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:10 PM   #8958
Enoch Root
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I hate the idea of trading draft picks for bottom pairing defensemen. I still think the Flames should be able to manage and it's a matter of Darryl upping the minutes for the top 4 guys like a lot of coaches do.
Yup. Fight through it. And if you can't fight through it, the team isn't worthy of deadline acquisitions
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:16 PM   #8959
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player
 
FlamesAddiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Vancouver
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I wonder if heís dealing with some severe post-concussion stuff? He took some of the most painful-looking hits on the team last year - it canít have been good for his brain.

In any event, he canít be in game shape at this point - if he could work out at that level, heíd be here.

I do agree, though, they were a different team with Oliver in the lineup - he allowed them to play a much faster game.
I wouldn't really see the need for secrecy if it was something directly hockey related. I have wondered about it though. He wasn't quite the same again after the incident where he went head first into the boards. IIRC, it happened again shortly after that. It took a lot of steam out of him it seemed.
__________________
"A pessimist thinks things can't get any worse. An optimist knows they can."
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:26 PM   #8960
The Cobra
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I think Luke Schenn would be an excellent fit. He's a much better version of Gudbranson.

I do not like the potential bidding war that will manifest to acquire him, especially if vancouver is applying a premium for us.

If we're not willing to give Phillips a fair shot I would be tempted to offer phillips for him.
Vancouver will want a draft pick for him, whomever offers the highest one.

Phillips has no trade value per se. And, in any event, his value is not better than what would result from a potential bidding war.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:48 PM.

Calgary Flames
2022-23




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021