Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-05-2022, 02:16 PM   #21
ikaris
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
How do you define preventable? Genetics still plays a big role in all this
And what about preventable injuries? For instance if you break your ankle playing basketball. Is that preventable?

Hard to draw those lines.
I fully agree, and our public health care system is part of our identities as Canadians warts and all. An overwhelming majority has made the choice to get vaccinated and there will always be a small minority that will not. Perhaps I’m naive but I am hoping the majority of the unvaccinated left are mostly healthy and should hopefully not overburden our medical system sheerly based on the small number of those people. Based on that any persistent restrictions should be done away with (really now just at a federal level).
ikaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 06:30 PM   #22
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
Speaking of moving on, the dumb c**nt brigade is rolling along 16th ave as I drove into the city. One guy kept honking and the poor elderly lady beside me at the light was awful confused.

Shout out to the large vans selling F**CK TRUDEAU t-shirts, that's pure capitalism and I can respect it.
They desperately need to make some cash quick to pay their fines and legal fees.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 09:26 AM   #23
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Way too early observations on the lifting of restrictions. Yesterday’s anecdotal evidence of mask wearing. My wife estimated close to 50% people wearing masks in Market Mall with most store staff still wearing. I was at four different businesses And it as about 25%. And one high profile restaurant chain was still apparently asking staff to wear them. I’m actually surprised to see it was that high.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 09:50 AM   #24
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched a video of unmasked food preparers; I wouldn’t eat at any establishment where people making my meal were unmasked. They were talking over the food. Many people spew moisture when they speak.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 10:12 AM   #25
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Way too early observations on the lifting of restrictions. Yesterday’s anecdotal evidence of mask wearing. My wife estimated close to 50% people wearing masks in Market Mall with most store staff still wearing. I was at four different businesses And it as about 25%. And one high profile restaurant chain was still apparently asking staff to wear them. I’m actually surprised to see it was that high.

It's been way higher where I've been. Was at Safeway and probably 80% were wearing masks, my wife went to Superstore and said around 75%. Went to a martial arts class and it was 100% (despite masks technically not having been required even before the restrictions lifted). Only one person was wearing one in my office though, but it's pretty easy to keep spaced out there.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 11:44 AM   #26
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2022, 04:36 PM   #27
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I watched a video of unmasked food preparers; I wouldn’t eat at any establishment where people making my meal were unmasked. They were talking over the food. Many people spew moisture when they speak.
Covid is primarily air borne spread and not fomite spread. Your concern should be breathing the same air not them spitting on your food.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2022, 04:50 PM   #28
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Substitute Fat People with "Idiots" and it would funnier and more true.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2022, 06:04 PM   #29
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are we at the point now where people without boosters are plague-rats, and at what point are people that don't get continuous boosters pro-disease. The suggestions above, whether the OG unvaccinated or the people that are not keeping pace, could be based on current threat to the system, or are we grandfathering this in?

Also, unvaccinated that have recovered from covid are recognized in almost every country except Canada. What do we do with them?

It's nice to play the us vs. them game, but the farther out we get from the initial two doses, the murkier this all gets.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:05 AM   #30
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Are we at the point now where people without boosters are plague-rats, and at what point are people that don't get continuous boosters pro-disease. The suggestions above, whether the OG unvaccinated or the people that are not keeping pace, could be based on current threat to the system, or are we grandfathering this in?

Also, unvaccinated that have recovered from covid are recognized in almost every country except Canada. What do we do with them?

It's nice to play the us vs. them game, but the farther out we get from the initial two doses, the murkier this all gets.
Keep in mind not everyone is eligible for boosters yet so would be unfair to ostracize them.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 02:52 PM   #31
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

The WHO is telling people not to get boosters. They provide a very minimal and short term increase in your immunity, and considerably less than natural immunity. The focus should be (and should have been for a while now) in reducing the chance of new variants arising by ensuring those in less well off countries get vaccinated.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 02:55 PM   #32
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The WHO is telling people not to get boosters. They provide a very minimal and short term increase in your immunity, and considerably less than natural immunity. The focus should be (and should have been for a while now) in reducing the chance of new variants arising by ensuring those in less well off countries get vaccinated.
Source? All i can find is they are recommending healthy adolescents and Children not get a booster shot.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 03:10 PM   #33
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I just assumed that every single kitchen that the public couldn't see into, would have had unmasked cooks.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2022, 03:53 PM   #34
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I just assumed that every single kitchen that the public couldn't see into, would have had unmasked cooks.
Likewise... y'know, like it has been since I've been alive.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
V
Old 03-07-2022, 03:55 PM   #35
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
Source? All i can find is they are recommending healthy adolescents and Children not get a booster shot.
The WHO has stated that the current boosting program of largely healthy individuals is not the best approach for tackling the global pandemic in the scope of vaccine equity. They are encouraging new vaccine development for boosters in order to provide better protection.

Quote:
With near- and medium-term supply of the available vaccines, the need for equity in access to vaccines across countries to achieve global public health goals, programmatic considerations including vaccine demand, and evolution of the virus, a vaccination strategy based on repeated booster doses of the original vaccine composition is unlikely to be appropriate or sustainable.
https://www.who.int/news/item/11-01-...e-composition#.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 04:03 PM   #36
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's quite bit different than saying:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The WHO is telling people not to get boosters.-snip-
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2022, 04:17 PM   #37
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are test kits still hard to find, or can you find them at any pharmacy now?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 04:53 PM   #38
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
Speaking of moving on, the dumb c**nt brigade is rolling along 16th ave as I drove into the city. One guy kept honking and the poor elderly lady beside me at the light was awful confused.

Shout out to the large vans selling F**CK TRUDEAU t-shirts, that's pure capitalism and I can respect it.
I live just off 17th so have gotten used to their idiocy every Sat afternoon (and to avoid 17th at that time), but for whatever reason this past Saturday, instead of 17th (or maybe after it), the "parade" came down my street itself - first time I've seen that.

It felt so much more invasive and frustrating that way - and given I have surface parking and am one of the first cars in the lot, it was rather unsettling watching from my balcony all those dummies passing within 10 feet of my car. My lease is up June 1, and given how they've already gotten their way but still keep going with it meaning this won't stop anytime soon, I think I'm going to move...
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 04:54 PM   #39
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Doesn't seem especially difficult, my pharmacy threw one into my prescription refill last week without me mentioning it. Lots of locations listed on the AHS website too

Website isn't perfect however, the place that gave me the kit wasn't listed on the website when I checked an hour later
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2022, 06:51 AM   #40
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I've been paying attention lately, and there seems to be quite a few available.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post: