Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2023, 04:01 PM   #81
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
It's a damn shame I don't have a Backlund jersey.

Baffling.

I have a mother !@#$ing James Neal jersey in the closet, yet I never bought a Mikael Backlund.

...my bad.
My friends I worked with at the Dome all chipped in and got me a Backlund jersey for my birthday one year. I got it signed by the man himself a year later
Old 02-01-2023, 07:18 PM   #82
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Baffling.

I have a mother !@#$ing James Neal jersey in the closet, yet I never bought a Mikael Backlund.

...my bad.
Fun fact,

Back in like, 2012-ish aunt had a friend who worked at FanAttic and she asked me if there was a jersey I might want at employee discount pricing. Backlund was the name that immediately spring to mind for me - I genuinely thought he was an awesome and underutilized young player.

My aunt heard the letter B and brought me a Bouwmeester jersey. And I was never a J-Bo fan

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2023, 09:10 AM   #83
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ I might have your Backlund jersey!

In 2012 I wanted to get a game-worn jersey but couldn't afford one from an established player. In the end it was between Horak and Backlund, and at the time Backlund was lighting it up with Vasteras during the lockout.

Last time this jersey was worn was in February 2011, when Backlund got into a scrap with Andrew Alberts of the stinkin' Canoocks and injured his shoulder. Would love to get it signed but I have no idea how to go about that.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 01:32 PM   #84
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund might get the nod this year as it can be a bit of a reputation award too. He's been in the mix a few times.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 06:45 PM   #85
kipperiggy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Baffling.

...my bad.
I stripped my Gaudreau and my Tkachuk and I’m thinking Backlund should go on one of those.

Thanks AC!
kipperiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 07:58 PM   #86
Greybeard
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipperiggy View Post
I stripped my Gaudreau and my Tkachuk and I’m thinking Backlund should go on one of those.
Did you take the numbers and name off and are going to rebrand?. How good did that work. Were they sewed or stitched on?
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 11:25 PM   #87
PuckSlap
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Fun fact,

Back in like, 2012-ish aunt had a friend who worked at FanAttic and she asked me if there was a jersey I might want at employee discount pricing. Backlund was the name that immediately spring to mind for me - I genuinely thought he was an awesome and underutilized young player.

My aunt heard the letter B and brought me a Bouwmeester jersey. And I was never a J-Bo fan
Lol such an aunt thing to do.

My mother in law was supposed to pick me up a case of cranberry gingerale a few years ago around Christmas, because I just ran out. She ended up coming back with cherry sprite or something. She said "Oh, it was the same color"

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
PuckSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 01:12 AM   #88
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Backlund might get the nod this year as it can be a bit of a reputation award too. He's been in the mix a few times.
No way, imo. It'll go to a higher point earner who's decent at defensive play.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 07:36 AM   #89
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's almost impossible for Backlund to get a nod for the Selke this year. He didn't even get a nod the year he put up 50+ points and was incredible defensively.

Danault couldn't crack top 5 in Selke voting last year either with his 27 goals and 50+ points.

The NHL really needs to get back to basics with the Selke trophy
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 08:05 AM   #90
kipperiggy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
Did you take the numbers and name off and are going to rebrand?. How good did that work. Were they sewed or stitched on?
Yes - it worked alright. You'll want to check if you can grab the material behind the number to make sure they are stitched not glued. I probably wouldn't want to wear the jerseys without numbering any more because you can see the outline but covered with another number I'm sure it will be fine. Just haven't gotten around to it or decided who I want.

One was a Reebok style which was a little easier than the Adidas style which had triple stitching. There are Youtube videos where they show how to strip each particular type. A few hours while hockey's on and go slow and it wasn't too bad. Probably took 3.5-4 hours though.

Edit: also you need a seam ripper and it makes it easier.

Thanks AC!

Last edited by kipperiggy; 02-03-2023 at 10:23 AM. Reason: forgot something
kipperiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 09:55 AM   #91
BrennyBaller
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I always think I might've had the first #11 Backlund jersey... or one of the first. I got a Hagman #11 after that trade (lol). In the following offseason (summer 2010), Hagman changed to #10 and Backlund from #60 to #11. In one of the Preseason games I went and got it changed from the Fan Attic. Now 13 years later, he's still here. I am always pretty thankful I decided to not keep Hagman
BrennyBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrennyBaller For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 05:32 PM   #92
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm probably one of Backlund's biggest fans dating all the way back to the early 2010's. He's been exceptionally consistent this season and has been arguably the best player on this team at even strength. His 5 on 5 production has been excellent given his usual shutdown role and I think his analytics speak for themselves. Hope this much maligned Flame can finally get the respect he deserves for the great decade of play he's offered this club.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2023, 01:49 AM   #93
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

If this is it then I was happy to call you one of my favourite Flames for over a decade. If this is it Backs you were a special player to the franchise all the way since the Iggy era, and you deserve a championship.

The worst possible outcome for a season would be that the heart and soul of your team would need to leave. Gut wrenching and leaves the same feelings of Iginla or Giordano leaving. Heart and soul.

Might not be a while before he goes, but I do want to write a little something for one of the most consistent players and my personal favourite Flame over the last decade.

I like Mikael Backlund.
Old 04-15-2023, 02:48 AM   #94
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Underappreciated player

Has faced top opponents for years and always not only succeeded, but made his linemates a lot better, and helped them get a lot of money

Should’ve had the C

3 As was a ####ing joke
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2023, 04:53 AM   #95
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

My mental image of Backlund will always be of a guy with a burning hatred of the Oilers and especially the Canucks and was our best player in countless games against them. Whatever happens in the future, if he's here or not, that guy was and always will be a great Flame. If this is it, go win a cup Backs.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 10:14 AM   #96
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Underappreciated player

Has faced top opponents for years and always not only succeeded, but made his linemates a lot better, and helped them get a lot of money

Should’ve had the C

3 As was a ####ing joke
But it seemed pretty clear after everything came out that he likely would have been the captain, but asked for a trade last summer, prompting them to go with three A's.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 10:26 AM   #97
Hockey_Ninja

Exp: