Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2023, 03:58 PM   #161
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
Sounds like you should educate the kids on what gambling is and what the consequences are… Do you not teach your kids how to cook because you’re afraid they’ll burn the house down?

Love this IMO stupid response. Doughnut parenting these days.
So should they have sex on tv all the time?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 04:07 PM   #162
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was hockey night in Canada more special when we were kids? Or was it more special BECAUSE we were kids?

Saturday night just felt like an event. Satellite hot stove, the jingle, coach's corner, etc. I'm not even including the powder blue jackets as that was before my time.

These days it just feels like a Wednesday.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 04:09 PM   #163
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Was hockey night in Canada more special when we were kids? Or was it more special BECAUSE we were kids?

Saturday night just felt like an event. Satellite hot stove, the jingle, coach's corner, etc. I'm not even including the powder blue jackets as that was before my time.

It was more special because it was the only games of the week outside of your local game, Ed Whalen 2&7, and not all of them.

Now there is a national game every night it seems and you get all 82 flames games.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 04:19 PM   #164
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

It's kind of like the all-star game argument. Back as kids, we'd watch All-Stars we'd never seen or heard of before. Like who was Mirko Frycer? Especially in baseball, got to see those wonderful uniforms.

Now we get to see everything all the time.

Old 02-03-2023, 04:54 PM   #165
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
It's kind of like the all-star game argument. Back as kids, we'd watch All-Stars we'd never seen or heard of before. Like who was Mirko Frycer? Especially in baseball, got to see those wonderful uniforms.

Now we get to see everything all the time.
I get your point but not your example we had all heard of Frycer because, although the Leafs were peak awful in those years, they were still the ones on HNIC most weeks, were covered in the Hockey news and other magazines we could read, got twice as many hockey cards (and/or hockey sticker pages) per team than anyone save the Habs etc
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 05:31 PM   #166
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Steve Payne then? I'm just pulling names now.

Old 02-03-2023, 06:12 PM   #167
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It feels like once CBC lost exclusive rights to the brand, it became less of a thing.

Plus, people have games whenever they want now, so Saturday night isn't anticipated like it was back before streaming.
Old 02-03-2023, 06:16 PM   #168
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Maybe this trend spells the end of Bettman's reign?
Bettman did just turn 70, so they probably need to start thinking of who replaces him. It did occur to me that Treliving, being without a contract and once had aspirations of running a league, could go for the position one day. I doubt he would go directly from GM to commissioner, but I could see him going for a position at the league head office to one day throw his name into the hat when Bettman does retire. Just pure speculation and probably going out on a bit of a limb.
Old 02-03-2023, 06:25 PM   #169
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Great point.

That being said , I wish the song, the hot stove , coach’s corner, the tradition of it all on Saturday night is something I could share with my son.

As a kid born in Canada to immigrants in the 80s, who never even played hockey, hnic was a major part of my growing up.

I hate that all of that has disappeared in the last decade, and my son was born in that time frame, and missed it.

Last edited by bubbsy; 02-03-2023 at 06:44 PM.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 06:26 PM   #170
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It all went to #### when they stopped playing the HNIC theme.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 07:20 PM   #171
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
It all went to #### when they stopped playing the HNIC theme.
100 percent. CBC should of paid whatever they had too for that.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 09:07 PM   #172
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon Surfer View Post
Too many gambling ads make it not safe to watch with kids. That cuts out a lot of my viewership right there, pretty much no more hockey at home. Only a few games per year where I have enough free time to go out somewhere to watch games.
I’m more concerned you let your kids watch commercials. Who does that?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 10:52 PM   #173
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

HNIC was definitely a thing when I was younger, and part was because I was a kid. Like the showdown competitions between the players during the intermissions. Stuff that was filmed in the off-season but pre internet so you had no idea who won.

It was the same kind of thing they do now in the ASG but 6 year old me really cared who won those things. It made the stars more real and you could also tell they cared more. Probably because whatever money was at stake was more meaningful to them.
Loved seeing the stars of the league compete in breakaway competitions, mini games etc. Like the Al star game but not as gimmicky.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 08:36 AM   #174
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
HNIC was definitely a thing when I was younger, and part was because I was a kid. Like the showdown competitions between the players during the intermissions. Stuff that was filmed in the off-season but pre internet so you had no idea who won.

It was the same kind of thing they do now in the ASG but 6 year old me really cared who won those things. It made the stars more real and you could also tell they cared more. Probably because whatever money was at stake was more meaningful to them.
Loved seeing the stars of the league compete in breakaway competitions, mini games etc. Like the Al star game but not as gimmicky.
Thanks for ruining a major part of my childhood.
Barnet Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 08:47 AM   #175
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crosby said 1-8 is the best playoff format and I hope the league actually listens to its star player.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 09:03 AM   #176
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I don’t know that 1-8 would improve US TV viewership, other than a very minor increase in chance that a high placed US team would get at least to the second round. But I do think it’s time to change it back.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 09:05 AM   #177
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I don’t know that 1-8 would improve US TV viewership, other than a very minor increase in chance that a high placed US team would get at least to the second round. But I do think it’s time to change it back.
Didn't think a small news item like that deserved it's own thread and thought this was the logical place to put it.

I don't think it would do much for ratings but it would fix the current stupid playoffs format.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2023, 09:23 AM   #178
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
Thanks for ruining a major part of my childhood.
Lol. It was as real and “live” as the game itself when I was a kid.

Kind of fun watching videos of it. I found Lanny vs. Gilbert Perreault the other day. Rogie Vachon and Chico Resch in net.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2023, 09:36 AM   #179
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah I've found some of the old showdown videos (like you mentioned Perreault- who was my favorite growing up) but one thing I can't find is any footage of 'team showdown' does anyone else remember that one- It may have only been one year- the goalies picked the teams and they played games, I seem to remember team Edwards, Esposito. Palmateer,

separately on the weekends for at least one year if not more was it on Saturday or Sunday afternoons they played oldtimers games- alumni from the original 6 playing each other- anyone remember those?

(edit: found at least some documentation of the latter- interesting that they highlight Errol Thompson as one of the participants, he would have been 32 and retired for 2 seasons at that point- but I guess that was sort of the point each team had a few recently retired guys- including some who I don't think even ever played for that original 6 team who were sort of the ringers- like when a guy brings his 21 year old son to beer league)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_bSZ1ydrwU

but you'd watch dammit because you weren't going to see an actual NHL game programmed

Last edited by looooob; 02-04-2023 at 10:14 AM.
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 02:52 PM   #180
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I live in the US. Only 1 other person in my circle watches hockey. It's sad. I often find myself watching college sports at gatherings. Now that's big business.
InternationalVillager is offline   Reply With Quote