Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2023, 01:41 AM   #2841
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I purchased a CableMod kit and I'm not sure I like it. They do look pretty nice but man the motherboard cable is HUGE, I'm not sure I'll be able to fit it all in the space I have. Maybe if I use a bunch of cable ties...

I wish the kit came with shorter cables (I think that's the first time I've ever had that thought about power supply cables).
That's the thing tho. You can custom order specific lengths with cable mod.... I've never not used cable mods and not used a custom length
combustiblefuel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 03:45 PM   #2842
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I ordered through Amazon but even the kit on their site doesn't say have an option to change the length:
https://cablemod.com/product/cablemo...easonic-black/
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B089KPYP3D

Hm, now I see a configurator section, I thought that was just for custom colours but looks like I could specify lengths as well, is that what you mean?

I wonder if I should return the kit and order just what I need.
Old 01-08-2023, 07:23 PM   #2843
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 11:06 PM   #2844
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I ordered through Amazon but even the kit on their site doesn't say have an option to change the length:
https://cablemod.com/product/cablemo...easonic-black/
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B089KPYP3D

Hm, now I see a configurator section, I thought that was just for custom colours but looks like I could specify lengths as well, is that what you mean?

I wonder if I should return the kit and order just what I need.
Yes, the configuration section is colors and lengths.
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2023, 07:44 AM   #2845
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I purchased a CableMod kit and I'm not sure I like it. They do look pretty nice but man the motherboard cable is HUGE, I'm not sure I'll be able to fit it all in the space I have. Maybe if I use a bunch of cable ties...

I wish the kit came with shorter cables (I think that's the first time I've ever had that thought about power supply cables).
My friend, allow me to introduce you to ASUS's new reverse motherboard standard DIY-APE, which MSI and Maxsun have also adopted, which has all primary pin plugs on the rear of the MB.

I think we will start seeing more short cable options specifically due to these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2023, 07:49 AM   #2846
photon

Exp:

Seems like such an obvious thing.
Old 01-09-2023, 10:36 AM   #2847
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So... I assume the idea is that you plug everything in on the back and only then install the mobo into the case and just sort of squish your cables against the mounting area? And then you do the cooler and PCIE last?

Barring some fundamental changes in case design, it kind of seems like it's going to lead to breaking things... and even if you did design a case for it or just use longer standoffs to provide more room behind that extra airspace across the rest of the board just seems wasted. I guess there's a lot of wasted space in ATX cases generally anyhow.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 10:42 AM   #2848
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
So... I assume the idea is that you plug everything in on the back and only then install the mobo into the case and just sort of squish your cables against the mounting area? And then you do the cooler and PCIE last?

Barring some fundamental changes in case design, it kind of seems like it's going to lead to breaking things... and even if you did design a case for it or just use longer standoffs to provide more room behind that extra airspace across the rest of the board just seems wasted. I guess there's a lot of wasted space in ATX cases generally anyhow.
DIY-APE will need a specific case design yeah; word is that they will have higher standoffs and cutouts specific to the cable routing. You would still mount the MB first and plug/slot everything after.

Cases with larger rear routing compartments/channels (Meshify series et al) likely could already accommodate with the right standoff locations and some cutout tweaks.

Ultimately, this would mean the only cables visible on the board will be attached to the GPU, and in some cases the AIO pump. Of course, with only one PCIex16 slot, this isn't a board designed for expansion.

Also worth noting the Maxsun board pictured only has 1x8 Pin CPU header, 2 RAM slots, and 2 fan headers. I have to think this is being geared towards specialty boxes/showoff cases for mITX style builders.

Quote:

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 01-09-2023 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-09-2023, 10:53 AM   #2849
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Also worth noting the Maxsun board pictured only has 1x8 Pin CPU header, 2 RAM slots, and 2 fan headers. I have to think this is being geared towards specialty boxes/showoff cases for mITX style builders.
Possible I guess, but at that point space is at even more of a premium in all directions. If you have to have room for connectors and cables behind your motherboard, that space is then taken away from something else. In my case, for example, it would mean the GPU would have no room to breathe (there's not a whole lot as it is but I can flip the panel down if needed).

Also you're definitely going to have cooler cables whether it's AIO or an air cooler, no? Still a lot cleaner than the current standard, obviously, though with proper cable management, having cables hooked up in the front can be a plus aesthetically, at least for me, since the point of having a CPU with a glass panel is to be able to see the stuff that's making the system work.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 01-09-2023, 11:01 AM   #2850
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Possible I guess, but at that point space is at even more of a premium in all directions. If you have to have room for connectors and cables behind your motherboard, that space is then taken away from something else. In my case, for example, it would mean the GPU would have no room to breathe (there's not a whole lot as it is but I can flip the panel down if needed).

Also you're definitely going to have cooler cables whether it's AIO or an air cooler, no? Still a lot cleaner than the current standard, obviously, though with proper cable management, having cables hooked up in the front can be a plus aesthetically, at least for me, since the point of having a CPU with a glass panel is to be able to see the stuff that's making the system work.
I too am pretty curious about how it's going to look ultimately. As far as cable management goes, 24 pin, sata, cpu are all very manageable anyway. I'd be satisfied with an MB that just puts the fan, USB and case headers on the rearside.

GPU cables are always the ugliest, with or without combs and careful placement. EVGA was on the right track back a few gens ago with the PowerLink, which brought power plugs to the side of the card to minimize cable visibility.

Not 100% the best solution mind you, and introduced an extra failure point, but still more stylish than the cable rounds that block half the card's aesthetic.

Quote:
Old 01-11-2023, 08:53 AM   #2851
photon

Exp:

I did order a 4090 power cable from CableMod last year and I still haven't received it, but I'm not sure who's to blame, the only update on the tracking number from Canada Post is "Electronic information submitted by shipper"

I take it to mean that they haven't even sent it yet?

EDIT: Nevermind they said it can take up to a month for it to go past that in the shipping status, I should read the emails they sent
Old 01-19-2023, 04:45 PM   #2852
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I found a nice solution to driving multiple ARGB devices. Instead of using hubs which are generally huge and crap quality I'm using this
https://www.superlightingled.com/min...ip-p-5333.html

I was considering making my own this saves me the trouble. Neat little board is uses a SM74HC24 which is a tri-state buffer data sheet is here
http://www.88869188.com/uploads/2018...421131f45a.pdf

If you need connectors
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B075K4HLTQ

Works great with these fans they are nice combination of airflow, noise and bling
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08B7YRPVF

Can daisy chain as many ARGB buffers as you want. I made my own interface cable going from the motherboard to the ARGB buffer not sure if you can buy such a cable.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 05:06 PM   #2853
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The actual solution is just not to add any RGB crap to your build, but that's just me.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2023, 04:45 AM   #2854
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

God I feel dirty.......

Just broke down and got a msi suprim x 4070ti after months and months of convincing myself to skip this gen .

Pros tho are same as my strix 3090 oc but at almost half the wattage and temps drastically reduced and dlls 3 so yay?

I was going to water cool my 3090 ( like the 2 3080s in my HTC builds) but the cost came out to almost the same so why not just get a card for the same price for similar temps. Thought about a 7900xtx but can't get one and I do like dlls and raytracing . I got a oled tv and moniter. I wanna see everything.

Worst case now is my wife gets a 3090 now (from a 3080 12gb) and in a year when I crack or 4090s get to a reasonable state I get one of those. I just couldn't justify a 4090 right now after learning a lesson in getting my 3090 at the msrp price.
Old 01-30-2023, 07:19 AM   #2855
photon

Exp:

Saw an actual 4090 sitting on the shelf at MemEx yesterday.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:03 AM   #2856
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

3+ months on and I can't say I regret the 4090 at all. It's been a long time since I had a card that could uncompromisingly obliterate anything I throw at it.

It's almost freeing in a way, I spend very little time in the Settings menu comparatively.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2023, 10:15 AM   #2857
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I just set everything to Ultra and leave it. There was one time this weekend where I had a stuttering issue with Gotham Knights for about 15-20 seconds but that might be the game itself. I've noticed it will randomly crash to the desktop but it sounds like a common issue.

I did some testing with GPU rendering on some of my 3D work and something that takes almost 10 minutes with CPU rendering in 4k takes only a couple of minutes with my 4090. And that's with raytracing and no raytracing with CPU rendering. Scenes I open in UDK are smooth too and I can keep all the textures at 4k.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 03:20 PM   #2858
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Saw an actual 4090 sitting on the shelf at MemEx yesterday.
They got a big shipment early last week (or may be even earlier); I had a backorder for a MSI Suprim X from Best Buy from December that was supposed to ship by Jan 9 but was constantly delayed so I started to check other sites and was stunned to see ME had 10 in stock at almost all of their Calgary stores. MSI and Gigabyte models seem to be pretty plentiful now, just Asus is hard to get.

Last edited by accord1999; 01-30-2023 at 03:23 PM.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 12:49 AM   #2859
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
3+ months on and I can't say I regret the 4090 at all. It's been a long time since I had a card that could uncompromisingly obliterate anything I throw at it.

It's almost freeing in a way, I spend very little time in the Settings menu comparatively.
Ya, I get it I WANT a 4090 to go with my sony a90k 42 inch but I am still paying off my 3090 for 2 more months. I bought it 6 weeks befor they dropped to 1600... ouch. Maybe in a year When I get one and water cool it .

I game 260 to 300 days a year so I need to get at leeast another 1 year out of the 3090 before I can justify another flagship gpu. I mean just a year of a 4070ti will justify it as that works out to be 4.6 to 5.6 dollars a day for entertainment since I don't go out to drink any more.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 01-31-2023 at 12:55 AM.
Old 02-15-2023, 05:17 PM   #2860
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1626012770062991360
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote