Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2022, 02:10 PM   #721
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1603131046559637505
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 04:33 PM   #722
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone remind me…in COVID’s early days were masks ever touted as the fix-all that would protect us?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 05:17 PM   #723
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Anyone remind me…in COVID’s early days were masks ever touted as the fix-all that would protect us?
No we argued if they would work or not since the communication theory was it was a droplet based and surface contact based.

Whether we were intentionally lied to to preserve supplies is interesting.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2022, 06:57 AM   #724
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Coming up on three years now and wife tested positive this morning for Covid for the first time. She was sick back in October with the symptoms in stages, tested daily and always negative, I didn’t get sick at all that time. She felt a scratchy throat on last night and tested this morning, immediate positive, My test was negative so far but hoping for a positive in the day or two to save our Christmas plans. I had it back in Jan/ Feb on this year and she didn’t get symptoms or test positive then.
At this point why would anyone still be testing themselves?

From what I’ve seen the only people still testing are the ones that are wanting to calling in sick for work.

I just don’t get what the point of getting that conclusive data is this far into it.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 08:19 AM   #725
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post

From what I’ve seen the only people still testing are the ones that are wanting to calling in sick for work.

I just don’t get what the point of getting that conclusive data is this far into it.
First, and most importantly, as a courtesy to others. Like hey, don't bother testing, keep going out, showing up to work and get as many people sick as possible right before Christmas. What a dumb question.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 12-15-2022 at 08:22 AM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Derek Sutton For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2022, 08:20 AM   #726
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I wonder the same thing about STIs

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 08:41 AM   #727
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
First, and most importantly, as a courtesy to others. Like hey, don't bother testing, keep going out, showing up to work and get as many people sick as possible right before Christmas. What a dumb question.
I get the sentiment, however I'm wondering if at home covid testing has a point anymore considering it's just one of the issues circulating with flu and RSV being almost a bigger concern at the moment. I say if you're sick and symptomatic stay home, simple as that. I don't test for covid anymore either, finding out the source of my runny nose, cough, fatigue doesn't provide me with any actionable information since I would stay home with symptoms regardless.

Last edited by Cowboy89; 12-15-2022 at 08:46 AM.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 08:45 AM   #728
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:

Personally, I think if you're sick at all you should be calling in sick for work regardless of if it's Covid, Flu, Common Cold, etc.

Testing is good for a few other reasons:
-You can let anyone you've been in contact with know, as a courtesy so they can plan their next steps accordingly
-Long-covid is still a thing, so knowing conclusively if you've had it or not is certainly helpful information when talking to a healthcare advisor
-If you need to enter any sort of acute care facility, they may still ask if you've had covid in the last while to manage risk to others in the facility
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2022, 09:26 AM   #729
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
Personally, I think if you're sick at all you should be calling in sick for work regardless of if it's Covid, Flu, Common Cold, etc.

Testing is good for a few other reasons:
-You can let anyone you've been in contact with know, as a courtesy so they can plan their next steps accordingly
-Long-covid is still a thing, so knowing conclusively if you've had it or not is certainly helpful information when talking to a healthcare advisor
-If you need to enter any sort of acute care facility, they may still ask if you've had covid in the last while to manage risk to others in the facility
-people shouldn't be inconsiderate c*nts
I agree with your list, but wanted to add another, I hope you don't mind.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2022, 09:42 AM   #730
Knut

Exp:

Interesting summary here of Long Covid.

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.subs...te-and-gauging

Quote:
A recent study pooled more then 54 long Covid studies (which included a total of 1.2 million people) and found that 6% of individuals who had symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection experienced long Covid in 2020 and 2021. This is consistent with a massive study in Sweden (2020-2021) that found the proportion receiving a long Covid diagnosis was 1% among individuals not hospitalized for their COVID-19 infection, 6% among those hospitalized, and 32% among those treated in the ICU.
It is important to note that a strong study in the article found significantly less risk with Omicron vs Delta for long Covid. Which is good news.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2022, 11:28 AM   #731
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
I get the sentiment, however I'm wondering if at home covid testing has a point anymore considering it's just one of the issues circulating with flu and RSV being almost a bigger concern at the moment. I say if you're sick and symptomatic stay home, simple as that. I don't test for covid anymore either, finding out the source of my runny nose, cough, fatigue doesn't provide me with any actionable information since I would stay home with symptoms regardless.
There are no shortage of unhealthy people that qualify for Paxlovid that may prevent them ending up in the hospital. So it makes sense to test and get a treatment, rather than relying on Advil.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 03:57 PM   #732
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know if I'd bother testing at this point. If I was sick, I'd stay home regardless. I guess it would depend on the circumstances at the time, but in general I could easily isolate and don't see the point of knowing whether it's covid or something else. I wouldn't be taking paxlovid.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 05:12 PM   #733
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
There are no shortage of unhealthy people that qualify for Paxlovid that may prevent them ending up in the hospital. So it makes sense to test and get a treatment, rather than relying on Advil.
I'm not sure I follow this. If Cowboy 89 has a cough and runny nose but can manage his illness with advil why should he go get paxlovid. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point.
Old 12-16-2022, 03:52 AM   #734
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I'm not sure I follow this. If Cowboy 89 has a cough and runny nose but can manage his illness with advil why should he go get paxlovid. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point.
Yoho and Cowboy both stated in their opening sentences that they don’t see a need for at home testing. Fuzz provided one.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 07:45 AM   #735
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I didn't mean for everyone, I meant there are situations where it makes sense. But you also may want to know if what you had was covid or not, as it would affect your timing for a booster.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 08:06 AM   #736
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would anyone take a whole 17 minutes out of their life to self-administer a test at home that is widely available for free at every single drug store in the city for a virus that has caused a global pandemic for the last 2 years?

Is that the question?
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 08:28 AM   #737
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Why would anyone take a whole 17 minutes out of their life to self-administer a test at home that is widely available for free at every single drug store in the city for a virus that has caused a global pandemic for the last 2 years?

Is that the question?
Mine took about 5 seconds before it was positive, didn't have to wait the whole 15.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 09:04 AM   #738
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's been highlighted that there are scenarios where it still makes sense to self-test for some people in certain situations.

1. With regards to Paxloid - not an issue for me

2. So you can inform other people - for me this is actually a reason not to test. Everyone in my social circle is living as if it's 2019 or earlier for the most part, traveling, attending social events, gatherings etc. If they get sick it could have come from a million different places. Telling them you tested positive gives them someone to blame when in reality getting sick is more or less an eventuality for them with the activities they are engaging in and it doesn't change anything they can action.

Also what if you test negative but are symptomatic? For most people are we supposed to act any different because it's not covid? I have heard people hack coughs and sniffles at work or at gatherings and say 'It's ok I tested negative on a self-test', as if testing negative for Covid gives them permission to stay out and about when in reality you need to stay home when you're sick regardless of source of sickness.

3. So you don't asymptomatically bring it into a care centre- agreed that makes sense for people who visit them. No one in my social circle is in a care center or works at one.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2022, 09:22 AM   #739
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
It's been highlighted that there are scenarios where it still makes sense to self-test for some people in certain situations.

1. With regards to Paxloid - not an issue for me

2. So you can inform other people - for me this is actually a reason not to test. Everyone in my social circle is living as if it's 2019 or earlier for the most part, traveling, attending social events, gatherings etc. If they get sick it could have come from a million different places. Telling them you tested positive gives them someone to blame when in reality getting sick is more or less an eventuality for them with the activities they are engaging in and it doesn't change anything they can action.

Also what if you test negative but are symptomatic? For most people are we supposed to act any different because it's not covid? I have heard people hack coughs and sniffles at work or at gatherings and say 'It's ok I tested negative on a self-test', as if testing negative for Covid gives them permission to stay out and about when in reality you need to stay home when you're sick regardless of source of sickness.

3. So you don't asymptomatically bring it into a care centre- agreed that makes sense for people who visit them. No one in my social circle is in a care center or works at one.
The question was “why would anyone” though, not why you specifically should.

I doubt anyone cares if you personally test when you’re sick or not. I don’t test unless it’s super bad, but I also don’t go around other people aside from my partner when I am sick, so it’s pretty simple.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2022, 09:55 AM   #740
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Holy #### the reading comprehension displayed in this thread is something else.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote