Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2022, 11:11 AM   #241
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
This speaks for itself and is before Tesla makes any money off of Berlin and Texas.

If we are going to argue about Telsa - I will say that in the long run the unless Tesla can maintain some kind of brand halo that Apple for example has, those values per delivery will all flatten out. Tesla has the first mover advantage now and basically a market to themselves. As other companies get into the market, the competition will either rise up or Tesla's will drop.

And as a lefty - Musk is obviously very successful at business and also a dink. Very few people are all bad or all good and if you are viewing anyone in that light in either direction, you are likely wrong.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 11:46 AM   #242
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Tesla's P/E is insanely high (as most growth stocks are), but their earnings are growing at such a fast rate that it really wouldn't take too much growth to knock it back down to a more reasonable level. So even at their current share price, there actually isn't an insane amount of growth priced in. If their net income grew by 50% a year during their growth phase, they'd be a $2T company at a P/E of 50 (basically what Amazon was before this recent drop) in 3-4 years.

At the same time, it doesn't take much of a plateau in earnings for a growth stock to change things. Amazon in 2017-18 had a similar market cap and growth to Tesla now and was seeing huge gains. But now, despite their earnings being 300% what they were in 2018, their share price is only up about 25% since then.

I think most of the hype around Tesla with regards to future technologies is misguided (their FSD is laughable at this point) and kind of distracts from the fact that they seem to be able to make a ton of money on their cars. I don't see any reason that they can't occupy a similar space as Apple within the automotive world. Most phones and computers that people use aren't made by Apple, but they make way more money on their devices than their competitors and as a result are the most valuable company in the world and they keep making more and more money.
If you look at the current luxury car market you can start creating boundary’s around how far the Tesla Brand cache will carry. Looking at Zamlers chart I wonder what Lexus and other premium brands per sale profit is. There isn’t really a reason that as the market matures that the luxury vs non luxury premiums will change.

Apple is the largest / second largest supplier of phones. There is no reason to believe that in a mature car market that you will be able to charge premium prices and capture that significant of a market share like you do in the phone market.

So what you end up making a bet on is supply chain. You are betting that Tesla can continue to supply batteries at a faster rate than other manufacturers or maintain a technological advantage on batteries or charging systems. This may be a reasonable bet.

However betting that Tesla becomes apple and is able to expand market share while maintaining a premium price point without a technological advantage does not seem like a good bet.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 12:00 PM   #243
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
If you look at the current luxury car market you can start creating boundary’s around how far the Tesla Brand cache will carry. Looking at Zamlers chart I wonder what Lexus and other premium brands per sale profit is. There isn’t really a reason that as the market matures that the luxury vs non luxury premiums will change.

Apple is the largest / second largest supplier of phones. There is no reason to believe that in a mature car market that you will be able to charge premium prices and capture that significant of a market share like you do in the phone market.

So what you end up making a bet on is supply chain. You are betting that Tesla can continue to supply batteries at a faster rate than other manufacturers or maintain a technological advantage on batteries or charging systems. This may be a reasonable bet.

However betting that Tesla becomes apple and is able to expand market share while maintaining a premium price point without a technological advantage does not seem like a good bet.
That's a good point. Cars are too expensive for a premium brand to dominate in sales numbers. I'm sure a lot of us would like to own a cooler or fancier car but when that costs me $500/month extra for 3-5 years - I think twice. The phone price difference is $500 once or like $10/month for a few years.
Old 04-29-2022, 12:04 PM   #244
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Your meltdown here is hilarious. Spin, spin, spin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Watching this play out is going to be bloody hilarious, because we're one week in and you're completely unhinged already. LOL!
TIL...not blindly polishing Elon's knob = unhinged meltdown.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2022, 12:09 PM   #245
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
TIL...not blindly polishing Elon's knob = unhinged meltdown.
Everyone knows that eye contact is an important component of any quality knob polishing job. It is a good habit not to do it blind.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 12:11 PM   #246
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
That's a good point. Cars are too expensive for a premium brand to dominate in sales numbers. I'm sure a lot of us would like to own a cooler or fancier car but when that costs me $500/month extra for 3-5 years - I think twice. The phone price difference is $500 once or like $10/month for a few years.
To dispute my own point - I will say this is the first big turning point in the automobile market in a long time. So how it turns out is a question mark. I'm sure there were similar questions about Japanese cars before they made big inroads in the North American market.
Old 04-29-2022, 12:14 PM   #247
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I think most of the hype around Tesla with regards to future technologies is misguided (their FSD is laughable at this point) and kind of distracts from the fact that they seem to be able to make a ton of money on their cars.
Exactly, making fun of Musk and his antics doesn't mean making fun of or not recognizing what Tesla as a company has been able to do.

It's entirely possible to both own Tesla stock AND recognize what he is.

Link
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2022, 12:20 PM   #248
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Personally I identify with logic, reason and sensibility. Wherever those things happens to land on the political spectrum on any given issue/subject.

I'm not married to any platform or party and I never plan to be. Because dumb politicians, conniving ones and respectable ones rotate through every party, and the things we need most changes based on the time and circumstance.

Personally I'm not a fan of over-censoring, but at the same time neither am a fan of spreading and influencing people to rally around anything that is clearly misinformation.

Basically what I wish for is just for any functioning adult to be able to use their brain to its fullest capacity to discern what is truth and what's conjecture or an outright lie, and not falling victim to things like charisma or proficient actors with ulterior motivations. Doesn't seem difficult, but somehow it is.

Unfortunately there's a large contingent that are like trout floating down a river with their mouths open, waiting to latch on to the next bait wiggling their way.

Last edited by djsFlames; 04-29-2022 at 03:46 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 12:34 PM   #249
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

But is it really a premium price? The vast, vast majority of the vehicles they're shipping are Model 3 and Model Y, which aren't priced all that much higher than the competition. A Long Range Model 3 AWD has an EPA range of 568 km and costs $51K in the US; a base trim AWD Ioniq 5 has an EPA range of about 485km and costs $47K. And a base model RWD Model 3 costs $42K which is right in line with similar range cars like the VW ID.4.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 09:00 AM   #250
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1520199912608223234

Eww, I didn't know Elon was also an Epstein-er. Gross.

Unconfirmed, but more info:
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ep...maxwell-email/
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 05:38 PM   #251
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1520408467596627968
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 07:07 PM   #252
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Can you be more specific? Like who?

I guess I would counter you question with the same.. do you NOT find it incredibly easy to know if someone is left or right if you hear some of their opinions on things like Musk and gay rights or gun laws?

edit2: Let me further sharpen that up. If you put a gun to my head and asked what the political leaning of a person was, and, I could ask three questions, I'd feel pretty safe about surviving. Ask them how they feel about gay marriage, Donald Trump, and COVId vaccines. Is it fool proof? No but nothing really is.
Sorry, I never did respond to this. I guess I was just curious how you could be sure if someone was on the left or right just based on a single tweet, without the benefit of asking 3 questions. I admit some are easy, depending on the subject, but to me there are a lot of tweets that would be tough to tell if they are left, right or center merely just as a response to something Musk has said. But as I said before, it's not a big deal, I was just curious more than anything.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 09:50 PM   #253
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1522380713047244800
Saudi Prince + Chinese Crypto = FREEDOM !!!!
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:04 PM   #254
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

If there’s anybody that knows freedom of speech, it’s the Saudis and the Chinese.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2022, 07:11 AM   #255
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Elon Musk says Twitter deal 'temporarily on hold'
Quote:

Stock in Twitter tumbles 18% while Tesla jumps 5%

Elon Musk said Friday that his planned $44 billion US purchase of Twitter is "temporarily on hold" pending details on spam and fake accounts on the social media platform, another twist amid signs of internal turmoil over the proposed acquisition.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/elo...451942?cmp=rss

Musk gets cold feet.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:23 AM   #256
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

Heh. Musk is in disbelief that no more than 5% of the Elon Muskians are bots.

On the bright-side no Trump, and on the other bright-side, maybe Twitter will get rid of bots and troll farms.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:26 AM   #257
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trying to get a lower price with current tech stock tank or looking for a way to back out?

Twitter also oddly fired 2 executives yesterday (one on paternity leave) when you'd kind of expect them to just operate as is until this closed.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:32 AM   #258
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Using twitter to manipulate the stock price.. the tried and true strategy!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2022, 07:48 AM   #259
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Worth stating that if he backs out - Twitter is basically screwed. The stock will tank (as it is already), they've cleared out some execs and the board has basically said they have no idea what to do with the company. Will be sold to someone for a lot less that Musk was offering.
Old 05-13-2022, 08:29 AM   #260
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Using twitter to manipulate the stock price.. the tried and true strategy!
Musk seems to have made it a hobby of his.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post: