Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2024, 01:36 PM   #14021
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Re: Deer

Wasting disease apparently posing a very real risk of actually wiping out deer populations. Probably we should try to avoid accelerating that by culling them if we can.

where do i find one of these infected deer.... i've got a yard i'd like to show it!
Old 03-29-2024, 01:53 PM   #14022
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Don’t you need intent to be a jerk?
Yes.

Something I'm noticing lately is the subtle bigotry of low expectations for people with mental health struggles. You don't get an auto-pass to do whatever obnoxious thing you want just because the public has randomly diagnosed you with a 'mental health crisis.' This may be a mental health problem, but it is also a problem that this individual decided to rob Calgarians of 10s of thousands of man-hours and cost tax payers tens of thousands of dollars because he approached his issues in the most annoying way possible.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 02:13 PM   #14023
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think it's weird to think both "I hope he gets help" and "Thanks for ####ing up my day, #######" at the same time
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 02:37 PM   #14024
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Spending big money on a family dinner from a restaurant on door dash and I meet the guy at his car and he pulls out my order from his backseat and didn't have it in an insualted bag or any bag for that matter.

It was cold. I thought doordash makes drivers use an insulated bag? Or is this guy just not following rules?

Very annoying.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 02:46 PM   #14025
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yes.

Something I'm noticing lately is the subtle bigotry of low expectations for people with mental health struggles. You don't get an auto-pass to do whatever obnoxious thing you want just because the public has randomly diagnosed you with a 'mental health crisis.' This may be a mental health problem, but it is also a problem that this individual decided to rob Calgarians of 10s of thousands of man-hours and cost tax payers tens of thousands of dollars because he approached his issues in the most annoying way possible.
So you think he was rationally making a decision when he went on top of the bridge?

This isn’t someone being an ####### in the grocery line because they had a long day. A rationally acting person doesn’t do what he did.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 03:45 PM   #14026
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's Good Friday and I was craving a Reuben sandwich, but Gruman's Deli was closed. Why? It's a Jewish deli! If anything, they should be open as a form of mild protest against this purportedly magic putz getting all kinds of accolades when he's really just some gonif. Oy vey.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 04:01 PM   #14027
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
So you think he was rationally making a decision when he went on top of the bridge?

This isn’t someone being an ####### in the grocery line because they had a long day. A rationally acting person doesn’t do what he did.
I believe he had the option to do things in a non-a-hole way, but chose to do things in the maximum main character a-hole way possible.

And if he somehow was forced by his mental illness to inconvenience a million people by climbing onto a bridge due to climb-on-bridge syndrome, then we should have beaned him in the head with some non-lethal ammo so he'd fall off and we could all carry on.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 04:04 PM   #14028
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
It's Good Friday and I was craving a Reuben sandwich, but Gruman's Deli was closed. Why? It's a Jewish deli! If anything, they should be open as a form of mild protest against this purportedly magic putz getting all kinds of accolades when he's really just some gonif. Oy vey.
I read this in Larry David's voice.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:06 PM   #14029
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I believe he had the option to do things in a non-a-hole way, but chose to do things in the maximum main character a-hole way possible.

And if he somehow was forced by his mental illness to inconvenience a million people by climbing onto a bridge due to climb-on-bridge syndrome, then we should have beaned him in the head with some non-lethal ammo so he'd fall off and we could all carry on.
The problem is when you're in that mental state it can be difficult to think rationally. That's why there's a lot of empathy in this thread. In a few months you won't even remember being held up in traffic but a whole network of people could be mourning someone.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:08 PM   #14030
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

Which bridge closure impacted you?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 04:10 PM   #14031
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, all playing the 'mental health' card does is give him a pass that says "if you do something heinous, we most likely won't find you criminally responsible for it" (see Li, Vince and de Grood, Matthew).

In no way is anyone required to accept or tolerate their behaviour without expressing disdain for or annoyance at it or the consequences of said behaviour. Sliver's sentiment may be a bit insensitive for some of you, but let's face it, we've all gotten annoyed at one time or another over behavior that someone was very likely unable to control. We're allowed.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 04:10 PM   #14032
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't know if this is common in Calgary but here we have, on average, one person standing on the train tracks to commit suicide per week. It always causes huge chaos for the train network and it's incredibly frustrating if it makes you late. But gotta keep things in perspective.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:12 PM   #14033
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_calderon View Post
I don't know if this is common in Calgary but here we have, on average, one person standing on the train tracks to commit suicide per week. It always causes huge chaos for the train network and it's incredibly frustrating if it makes you late. But gotta keep things in perspective.
"Well, at least they won't do it again."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 04:14 PM   #14034
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, all playing the 'mental health' card does is give him a pass that says "if you do something heinous, we most likely won't find you criminally responsible for it" (see Li, Vince and de Grood, Matthew).

In no way is anyone required to accept or tolerate their behaviour without expressing disdain for or annoyance at it or the consequences of said behaviour. Sliver's sentiment may be a bit insensitive for some of you, but let's face it, we've all gotten annoyed at one time or another over behavior that someone was very likely unable to control. We're allowed.
Getting annoyed isn't the problem, it's expressing the sentiment that lacks empathy. So yes, it is a gear grinder so I guess it belongs in the thread, but I think Sliver could re-evaluate how much it bothers him in the context of the person involved.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:16 PM   #14035
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Seems like Sliver wasn't even personally affected? If he was late to an interview for his dream job or a date with Margot Robbie that's another thing.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:18 PM   #14036
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We've also recently had environmental protesters supergluing themselves to major arterial roads, again causing traffic chaos in peak hour. They've now brought in criminal punishments for these people including jail time. Sliver would probably like to see them hanged.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:20 PM   #14037
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

^I'm not sure bringing up people of sound mind actively causing major issues for everyone strengthens whatever the argument is supposed to be.
Quote:
Getting annoyed isn't the problem, it's expressing the sentiment that lacks empathy. So yes, it is a gear grinder so I guess it belongs in the thread, but I think Sliver could re-evaluate how much it bothers him in the context of the person involved.
In the context of the person involved, I think Sliver gives even less of a sh-t. This is just one of ~8.1 billion people on the planet, how much of a crap is he supposed to give every time someone has a crisis?

Put it this way: if this was Kanye West, most of us wouldn't give a sh-t and we all know who that is.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 03-29-2024 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:24 PM   #14038
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
^I'm not sure bringing up people of sound mind actively causing major issues for everyone strengthens whatever the argument is supposed to be.
In the context of the person involved, I think Sliver gives even less of a sh-t. This is just one of ~8.1 billion people on the planet, how much of a crap is he supposed to give every time someone has a crisis?
From a quick google 12 people die by suicide in Canada daily. Obviously fewer in Calgary/Alberta. That's rare enough, using your own logic, that you could devote some empathy to each case.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:27 PM   #14039
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
We've also recently had environmental protesters supergluing themselves to major arterial roads, again causing traffic chaos in peak hour. They've now brought in criminal punishments for these people including jail time. Sliver would probably like to see them hanged.
Hanging someone who is glued to the road sounds - difficult.
Rubbernecks cause chaos.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 04:28 PM   #14040
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There's also a distinction between "giving a ####" and crying in the foetal position all day. You can have empathy and still move on with your day.