Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #81
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I spoke with Ward this morning and asked specifically about the amount of good, young prospect depth this year. In a nutshell, he said he's looking forward to having that much young talent. He said in years past there was a core of veterans to augment the average-level prospect talent whereas this season there's going to be a core of good young talent with only a few vets sprinkled throughout the lineup.

I'm more confident than ever that it'll be the young kids time to show and prove. He'll give them every opportunity simply because the talent is actually there in this year's crop of prospects.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #82
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some notes from this morning's Heat camp:

- Reinhart is awesome. It's amazing what a cup of coffee in the NHL will do for a young player. Obviously we'd need to see what he can do in a game situation, but he looks miles ahead of when I last saw him in a Heat jersey last April.

- I think it's extremely telling that Ward uses Nemisz, Byron, Reinhart (as one line) and Knight, Olson, Hanowski (as the other line) to basically show the rest of the players how to properly run a drill properly the first time through. He'll often use Reinhart to give a good example of how to do a drill.

- If the Olson/Knight/Hanowski line sticks together to start the season, the other team will never get the puck. They're relentless on the forecheck.

- Wotherspoon and Billins were a pairing. Don't know if they'll stay together, but they looked good out there.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #83
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Due to the Colbourne trade, the Heat will be getting one more NHL body than they would've otherwise. (Pending waivers, of course).

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #84
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Due to the Colbourne trade, the Heat will be getting one more NHL body than they would've otherwise. (Pending waivers, of course).
The competition for spots is going to be NUTS at every position.

Just at the C position Byron, Granlund, Horak, Reinhart, Jooris, Knight, Olson, Jones, Street, Begin, and Nemisz are all fighting for a big role. Some of those guys are going to be put on the wing. But that is a lot of competition.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:09 AM   #85
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

This camp just got even more intense.

Depending on injuries, there are going to be a lot of disappointed guys going up to the frozen north.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:56 AM   #86
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

So.... forward lineup for the Heat should look something like this, I assume. In no particular order...

Ferland - Granlund - Horak
Olson - Knight - Hanowski
Byron - Reinhart - Nemisz
Jooris - Bancks - Street

With B. Jones and Begin as extras.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:14 AM   #87
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
So.... forward lineup for the Heat should look something like this, I assume. In no particular order...

Jooris - Bancks - Street

Roughly. I'd almost put Blair in ahead of Olson. He's just far too effective of a player to leave out of the lineup. But yeah, that's roughly the Heat forward group. Absolutely stacked in terms of good young talent. Vastly different from Walter and Kolanos leading the forward group.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #88
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

PMM with your watching the AHL quite closely, what do you think of Coblorne, did he impress you when watching the marlies?
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #89
GettinIggyWithIt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post

Jooris - Bancks - Street

I'd agree with most of that. I agree with PMM that Jones should be in the starting lineup. I also think that there is a good possibility that Horak stays up with the big club if Cammy starts on the IR and continues to stay with the big club if Monahan only gets a 1-9 game stint. Just my best guess. If that's the case, I'd say Street replaces Horak, Jones steps in with Jooris and Bancks, and Byron-Reinhart-Nemisz becomes the top line.

Where does that leave Eddy and Elson? Eddy seems destined for Alaska but do you keep Elson as the extra forward or send him to the E to get some ice time?

I haven't been keeping up with the comings and goings in Abbotsford but I'm curious to hear how the d group is shaping up.
GettinIggyWithIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #90
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
PMM with your watching the AHL quite closely, what do you think of Coblorne, did he impress you when watching the marlies?
I've watched him dozens of times for the Marlies. He's got good hands, no doubt. His speed is average, but his quickness and acceleration might be an issue (as is with every big player).

He'll fit in nicely in the bottom two lines for sure. I'm happy we got him. I've always been a fan because he always seemed to play well against the Heat.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #91
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
I've watched him dozens of times for the Marlies. He's got good hands, no doubt. His speed is average, but his quickness and acceleration might be an issue (as is with every big player).

He'll fit in nicely in the bottom two lines for sure. I'm happy we got him. I've always been a fan because he always seemed to play well against the Heat.
Colborne has reportedly really worked on his skating and is much quicker.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #92
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

is there a roster limit in the AHL? If so is it 23 like the NHL? It seems to me the Heat have carried more players than that in the past. If there is no 23 man roster could they keep 14 healthy forwards (plus the injured Begin) and 8 defensemen?
Old 09-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #93
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
is there a roster limit in the AHL? If so is it 23 like the NHL? It seems to me the Heat have carried more players than that in the past. If there is no 23 man roster could they keep 14 healthy forwards (plus the injured Begin) and 8 defensemen?
There's no roster limit in the AHL. It's why at one point the Heat had something like 28 players last season.

It used to be that every team had to cut down to a 22 player roster (which dictated who was eligible for the Calder Cup Playoffs) on what was called the Clear Day, but with the new NHL bargaining agreement that no longer exists.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #94
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Akim Aliu is now a Hamilton Bulldog.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #95
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Five players have been cut.

Jordan Kremyr, Andy Taranto, James Martin and Zach Davies are headed to Alaska while Art Bidlevskii is off to Bakersfield.

More cuts might come after Monday's practice, but most likely the rest of the cuts will happen on Wednesday.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #96
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

my guess was going to be 8 defensemen, 15 forward (including the injured Begin) and 2 defensemen stick with the Heat

with Jones, Smith and Street joining the team if the cut all the PTOs except Arnese it should leave 15-8-2
Old 09-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #97
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reto Berra and Roman Horak seen on the ice for Abbotsford this morning.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #98
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Byron-Granlund-Knight
Ferland-Horak-Hanowski
Jones-Reinhart-Olson
Bancks-Jooris-Elson
(Begin-Nemisz)

Wotherspoon-Sieloff
Cundari-Ramage
McKelvie-Billens
(Lamb)

Berra
Ortio
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #99
Francis's Hairpiece
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
Byron-Granlund-Knight
Ferland-Horak-Hanowski
Jones-Reinhart-Olson
Bancks-Jooris-Elson
(Begin-Nemisz)

Wotherspoon-Sieloff
Cundari-Ramage
McKelvie-Billens
(Lamb)

Berra
Ortio
That actually looks fair to middlin. I'm excited to see what that kind of lineup can do this year.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #100
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
Byron-Granlund-Knight
Ferland-Horak-Hanowski
Jones-Reinhart-Olson
Bancks-Jooris-Elson
(Begin-Nemisz)

Wotherspoon-Sieloff
Cundari-Ramage
McKelvie-Billens
(Lamb)

Berra
Ortio
Nemisz will not be a 13th or 14th forward, not even close, top 9 for sure, probably top 6. That top 6 will also be eaten alive! 4 rookies in the top 6 is just ridiculous. Adding 3 more to your top 4 defensemen is just asking to lose.