Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2020, 02:31 AM   #81
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone running the Dolphin emulator that can help me? I'm trying to play SSX Tricky and keep getting a black screen. Google has been little help.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 01:29 PM   #82
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Wow, some of the posts in this thread could be in another language for all I know! Apparently I have some reading up to do on ROMs/emulators/etc. .

Quick question before I start - for those that play emulated games, do you use a controller that is the same from the system that the game was originally on? Or do you use a single controller for all emulated game systems with it mapped the way you like?

I feel like playing Mario 3 with an XBox controller would be weird...
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 01:32 PM   #83
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Some of my friends got together in a covid gaming quarantine group and started playing Everquest again after 18 years since playing regularly. I was in a uber guild at the time before quitting, decked out in top level 65 raid gear at the time, which is now dwarfed by random solo drops We initially thought of playing from level 1 in a TLP server, but realized most of us had characters in their 60s already.

Grouping and playing in Bastion of Thunder, power leveling one of the guys from 51 in Old Sebilis, we even got a Fungi Tunic right there to drop which sells for 100K+ plat now, inflation is crazy.

Fun times.

Last edited by Firebot; 04-15-2020 at 01:34 PM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:47 PM   #84
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me for nostalgia sake, my favourites on the NES are:

Megaman 2 and 3
Faxanadu
TMNT 2 and 3
Double Dragon 2
Contra and Super Contra (with the cheat codes lol)
Dragon Warrior 3

I'd play Final Fantasy again, but i've played that on multiple consoles since.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:00 PM   #85
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post
Wow, some of the posts in this thread could be in another language for all I know! Apparently I have some reading up to do on ROMs/emulators/etc. .

Quick question before I start - for those that play emulated games, do you use a controller that is the same from the system that the game was originally on? Or do you use a single controller for all emulated game systems with it mapped the way you like?

I use a PS4 controller.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:05 PM   #86
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I like to use the original controller...but what are you emulating on?
Old 04-15-2020, 07:03 PM   #87
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I use the USB NES/SNES/Sega controllers. Or an 8bit-Do.

Anything newer I use a PS4 controller.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:18 PM   #88
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

just finished Final Fantasy 4 (FF2 in US).
Next up, Chronotrigger.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2020, 08:33 PM   #89
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I like to use the original controller...but what are you emulating on?
Nothing. I have some vintage systems - a NES Mini, SNES Mini, Sega Mini, N64, and XBox 360. I like the idea of building a system to play some of the games I had growing up without having to go hunt them all down again. Perhaps I’m assuming things that aren’t right, but I figured if you built a Raspberry Pi or something you would use a single controller for all games/systems? Or are people buying multiple USB controllers to play the various systems?
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:28 PM   #90
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nothing. I have some vintage systems - a NES Mini, SNES Mini, Sega Mini, N64, and XBox 360. I like the idea of building a system to play some of the games I had growing up without having to go hunt them all down again. Perhaps I’m assuming things that aren’t right, but I figured if you built a Raspberry Pi or something you would use a single controller for all games/systems? Or are people buying multiple USB controllers to play the various systems?
I use all the original controllers because I have them...like from the actual original system with a USB adapter.

You know can easily hack those mini systems to play any games? Load them up with full libraries if you want. You can even run Sega CD and 32X on the Genesis mini. That might be the easiest if you already have them. Really you can run all systems on one but if you are like me you like to keep things separate especially since you already have them that might be the way to go.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:08 AM   #91
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

8Bitdo is the king when it comes to controllers for emulation. My go-to for every system up to PS1 and N64 is the SN30 Pro

It feels like a heavier SNES controller, which is perfect because the originals are just too light for my taste. Bluetooth performance is fantastic, you can even get less input lag than the original hardware if you use RetroArch and it's run-ahead feature. The analog sticks feel good and are great when playing N64 and PS1 dualshock compatible games. The only negative is the R1 and L1 buttons are a little on the thin side as they had to make room for the R2 and L2 buttons. For any games that use the triggers extensively, like Gamecube and PS2, then I switch to the SN30 Pro+

That one is fine for playing the more retro system as well, but to me it just feels better using a smaller controller. I have tried using a PS4 controller as well, but it's bluetooth performance just isn't very good. And Xbox controllers are only good for newer systems because the dpad is trash
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 03:57 AM   #92
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You can basically use whatever you want, but often time it makes way more sense to acquire a controller that is more similar to the original as it add to the nostalgia.

No reason to stick with the original controllers from a purist perspective. Play with whatever you feel most comfortable with. IMO it's an extension of a custom mapping on any input (ie: keyboard) but hardware.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 08:49 AM   #93
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord_Wappel View Post
Bruce Lee, Archon, and Summer Games just to name a few that are still very fun to play
Oh, you just brought back a tonne of fun memories of the cliff diving event in Summer Games
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 05:47 PM   #94
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
You can basically use whatever you want, but often time it makes way more sense to acquire a controller that is more similar to the original as it add to the nostalgia.

No reason to stick with the original controllers from a purist perspective. Play with whatever you feel most comfortable with. IMO it's an extension of a custom mapping on any input (ie: keyboard) but hardware.
Gamecube and N64 are way better with original controllers, but the rest are fine with modern comtrollers.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:41 PM   #95
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
Gamecube and N64 are way better with original controllers, but the rest are fine with modern comtrollers.

Your nostalgia is too strong, the N64 controller is a terrible design. Playing Mario 64 on an Xbox controller is so much more comfortable, let alone anything that has to use the d-pad or left shoulder button
Old 04-16-2020, 06:59 PM   #96
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
the N64 controller is a terrible design.
It absolutely is. My muscle memory disagrees with me, however. YMMV.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:02 PM   #97
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
It absolutely is. My muscle memory disagrees with me, however. YMMV.
I wish I could find a good USB N64 controller. I bought one from Winners, but the stick was messed up.

I prefer the N64 controller when playing N64 games then trying to handle the Z button being somewhere else and stuff like that.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:16 PM   #98
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
I wish I could find a good USB N64 controller. I bought one from Winners, but the stick was messed up.
Was thinking I had a stellar one but then realized it's a 3rd party N64, not USB.

For 64 I picked up an Everdrive cart and won't look back:
https://stoneagegamer.com/flash/nint.../everdrive-v2/

I have a couple USB 64 controllers from Allcade that seemed okay the few times I've used them.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:05 PM   #99
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else playing CoD Warzone? Free to download (enormous file, 100gb on PS4) and it's a great battle royals game with new modes popping up.

Right now theres a mode with snipers and shotguns only this game has become everything I hoped PUBG would be
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:55 PM   #100
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post

I prefer the N64 controller when playing N64 games then trying to handle the Z button being somewhere else and stuff like that.

I don't understand, in regular operation the N64 controller has your left index finger on the trigger, the same way that every modern controller does