Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 01:30 PM   #61
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Tkachuk respect the current pay scale standard set by the Flames and take a similar contract to Monahan/Gaudreau. Probably end up right in between them.

He deserves more based on the market. But he’ll take less cuz he’s a swell young lad.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:35 PM   #62
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Jankowski being out of the lineup is both ludicrous and stupid.
not really, I think he deserves to sit to be honest. It's like he believes just making it is good enough or something.

What has he done for us recently? Anything?

edit: didn't read ahead enough. Anyway looks like Frolik is sitting which also makes sense. He's a classic example of another guy who's made his millions so he seems content. We need the hunger.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 10-13-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:36 PM   #63
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:
Default Flames @ Avalanche, 8:00 PM MST. CBC, Fan 960

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I don't really consider this track record:

Mason Raymond - Buyout

Lance Bouma - Buyout

Troy Brouwer - Buyout

as indicative of Tre being able to get rid of Frolik cleanly.
I think he was talking about signing Tkachuk to less than Gaudreau/Gio.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:40 PM   #64
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I don't really consider this track record:

Mason Raymond - Buyout
Lance Bouma - Buyout
Troy Brouwer - Buyout

as indicative of Tre being able to get rid of Frolik cleanly.
Frolik is not in the same category as those 3 players in my opinion, unless he completely falls off this year.
The Following User Says Thank You to shogged For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #65
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk is getting paid more then Gio. You guys are crazy. If the team holds itself to a 6.5 mil a year max payout to players for 6 years to make the captain happy that’s wild. With the cap rising that 6.5 becomes a smaller salary year after year there’s no way we keep the players we have without paying someone over that amount during Gio’s tenure here and I think he understands that. At the time Gio’s contract was fresh and Johnny was relatively unproven. If we did it again today he’d be making 8 mil plus. And when Tkachuk re-signs it will be over 7 million I’ll bet any money.
The Following User Says Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2018, 01:46 PM   #66
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
not really, I think he deserves to sit to be honest. It's like he believes just making it is good enough or something.

What has he done for us recently? Anything?
Recently, as in this season? As in his whole 12m 34s of 5v5 ice time where he he got three shots on net, add a few shot assists, and generally outchanced the opposition on the ice (unlike, for instance, Derek Ryan in the same games)? Or on the 3m 16s of PK where the Flames outshot the other team 3-0 with him on the ice?

Or do you mean last season, where he had seventeen goals playing limited minutes as a rookie?

I agree that guys have to earn their ice time, but you seem to be putting the cart before the horse.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 10-13-2018, 01:50 PM   #67
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Recently, as in this season? As in his whole 12m 34s of 5v5 ice time where he he got three shots on net, add a few shot assists, and generally outchanced the opposition on the ice (unlike, for instance, Derek Ryan in the same games)? Or on the 3m 16s of PK where the Flames outshot the other team 3-0 with him on the ice?

Or do you mean last season, where he had seventeen goals playing limited minutes as a rookie?

I agree that guys have to earn their ice time, but you seem to be putting the cart before the horse.
I mean this season and honestly he hasn't seemed that noticeable. Do you think he's been really good? I don't at all. I guess good he isn't costing the team so the stars can get some rest but I expect more out of this prospect. I legitimately thought he could emerge as a 2nd-3rd line center and right now he looks like just a fringe NHLer that could be replaced. Dube has put in more effort most shifts and generally looked a whole lot more interested than Jankowski, for example.

edit: now watch tonight he'll light it up haha
Old 10-13-2018, 01:58 PM   #68
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean this season and honestly he hasn't seemed that noticeable.
He is averaging under eight minutes a game. Just how noticeable do you expect him to be? He's still had setups and chances. I mean he had a breakaway, he set Bennett up for what looked like a sure goal a shift into game 2 He's generated shots and he's dominated the PK.

You need to manage your expectations to the role. And he is not in control of his role. He might not see the ice for five-six minute sequences at a time, of course you won't notice him.

Quote:
Do you think he's been really good?
I think Sidney Crosby might not necessarily look all that noticeable in eight minutes of ice time a game, much of it on the PK.

Quote:
Dube has put in more effort most shifts and generally looked a whole lot more interested than Jankowski, for example.
Or maybe Dube has simply had a lot more shifts, and you've noticed his strong shifts while forgetting his weaker shifts.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2018, 02:03 PM   #69
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Mason Raymond - Buyout
Lance Bouma - Buyout
Troy Brouwer - Buyout
Agreed, but still, I would rather a buyout than giving up assets, like when Calgary sent Buffalo a 2nd (Jake McCabe) to take on Ales Kotalik.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:13 PM   #70
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Agreed, but still, I would rather a buyout than giving up assets, like when Calgary sent Buffalo a 2nd (Jake McCabe) to take on Ales Kotalik.
The cap space that goes into a buyout is an asset, though.

Old 10-13-2018, 02:19 PM   #71
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I think the Frolik thing has derailed quite a bit.

If Frolik has a lost a step and is no longer a 3M player it doesn't mean he's suddenly Troy Brouwer. He can still kill penalties, and play the defensive conscious on a third or fourth line without hurting you.

Honestly his tripping and high sticking penalties are his only real flaw five on five. He won't put up numbers anymore but he doesn't need to be bought out.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2018, 02:19 PM   #72
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
He is averaging under eight minutes a game. Just how noticeable do you expect him to be? He's still had setups and chances. I mean he had a breakaway, he set Bennett up for what looked like a sure goal a shift into game 2 He's generated shots and he's dominated the PK.

You need to manage your expectations to the role. And he is not in control of his role. He might not see the ice for five-six minute sequences at a time, of course you won't notice him.

I think Sidney Crosby might not necessarily look all that noticeable in eight minutes of ice time a game, much of it on the PK.

Or maybe Dube has simply had a lot more shifts, and you've noticed his strong shifts while forgetting his weaker shifts.
He’s getting 8 minutes of ice time because of his play.

I don’t think we should lower expectations for our budding prospects. I think we should be realistic and we should be honest. It’s not good enough to just make it if you’re gonna be a championship team. We need everyone playing their best and he’s not. He’s got more in the tank.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:26 PM   #73
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think the Frolik thing has derailed quite a bit.

If Frolik has a lost a step and is no longer a 3M player it doesn't mean he's suddenly Troy Brouwer. He can still kill penalties, and play the defensive conscious on a third or fourth line without hurting you.

Honestly his tripping and high sticking penalties are his only real flaw five on five. He won't put up numbers anymore but he doesn't need to be bought out.

Troy Brouwer suddenly became Troy Brouwer under Gulutzan after consistently being Troy Brouwer on three other teams for 7 consecutive years. Should be interesting to see who Troy Brouwer is this year. Will he be Troy Brouwer, or will he be Troy Brouwer. So far with 1 G in 2 GP, he is looking more like Troy Brouwer.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2018, 02:29 PM   #74
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Good thing Rittich gets the start.

If last year showed us one thing, it is that Mike Smith can’t even play well at Calgary altitude.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:31 PM   #75
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He’s getting 8 minutes of ice time because of his play.
What play?

You are attributing ice time to play, but in game 1 and 2 of the season there is no play to evaluate, unless you're talking about previous seasons, and again, Jankowski had 17 goals last year which is hardly an argument for deserving 8 minutes a game.

Icetime early in the season was arbitrary. Bennett and Jankowski were the sacrificial lambs because they were the holdovers from last season's bottom six. Bennett-Jankowski-Frolik outplayed Dube-Ryan-Neal through two games and Peters was not about to scratch a shiny new toy. It's the same reason Bennett has yet to see a power play shift.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-13-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:31 PM   #76
Flames67
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Predicting a close one, 1-0

Bennett and Neal both score.

...How?
Old 10-13-2018, 02:33 PM   #77
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames67 View Post
...How?
I assume Bennett’s goal is disallowed
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2018, 02:33 PM   #78
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Good thing Rittich gets the start.

If last year showed us one thing, it is that Mike Smith can’t even play well at Calgary altitude.
Do you (or anyone else) have access to Smith's home stats from last year?
I know the Flames were weak at home, but I guess I forgot that it was partially due to Smith.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #79
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Predicting a close one, 1-0

Bennett and Neal both score.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames67 View Post
...How?
That's easy to figure out. The NHL doesn't count Sam Bennett's goals.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:36 PM   #80
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Could be just internal knowledge of players and their current shape or condition (someone not feeling so hot, sickness or injury), line pairing exploration and or opposing team lineups and how the coach wants to pair up against them.

As far as moving up or down a line on this team, I think it's less demotion and seeing earlier in the season what can happen and the option availability.
Closed Thread

Tags
go flames , hnic , the puppet & the snowman