Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2020, 08:21 AM   #1601
socktape
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcin View Post
Noticed the building across the street from the current Shiki Menya in Bridgeland has been under renovation and there is a big Shiki Menya sign on it. Looks to be way larger than the current location which annoyingly constricts their daily supply. I'm hopeful you'll actually be able to walk in and eat a bowl of ramen without signing up for a waitlist or missing out completely.
I heard they were having a lot of flooding issues due to the construction of the building they are in. The more space is definitely welcome though.
socktape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:59 PM   #1602
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For many downtown workers who are also Vietnamese sub afficionados, Trung Nguyen is the best sub in Calgary, despite the popular opinion thinking that Thi Thi is. I just wanted to let everyone know that they are still open, and (based on the one I am scarfing right now) the subs are still the best around.

The owner told me to just call ahead to order, and then again when you arrive, and she will bring your sub out to the curb so you dont have to park. They are now on Door Dash, so you can see the menu if you'd like to order by phone, or for delivery.

If you get a chance, please return for a visit, or try it for the first time. It's a true gem, and I would hate to see if become a victim of the pandemic/oilpocalyse.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Voodooman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 02:06 PM   #1603
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Although I'm not thrilled to be going back to work in a physical location soon, I am excited that I'll be able to hit Trung Nguyen for lunch on occasion. I kill for their sate duck subs.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tete For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 07:33 PM   #1604
CRXguy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sate duck???? I know where I'm going this weekend.

Edit: Is duck a new item? I don't see it on google.

Last edited by CRXguy; 06-17-2020 at 07:35 PM.
CRXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:25 PM   #1605
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

How's Cleaver? Anything on the menu particular remarkable/not to miss? I'm going with the wife tomorrow, we've never been.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:34 PM   #1606
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
How's Cleaver? Anything on the menu particular remarkable/not to miss? I'm going with the wife tomorrow, we've never been.
I mostly go for happy hour to get cheap sliders and cocktails. The #### (chicken) for 2 is great to share.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 10:42 PM   #1607
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

ConMiTaco is back! New location and you can now pickup Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday. Pre-order for this Saturday starts tomorrow. See their website for new info.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 10:49 PM   #1608
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
ConMiTaco is back! New location and you can now pickup Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday. Pre-order for this Saturday starts tomorrow. See their website for new info.
Hello Mr owner of ConMiTaco
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:28 AM   #1609
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post

Man, I wish. If I could make corn tortillas like that, I could end my ever present search of good corn tortillas for home use.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:41 PM   #1610
toonmaster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I tried Hi-Ball in Montgomery today for the first time. It is a pretty solid Chinese restaurant and exceptional value for your money. It was probably the best value I have seen at a Chinese restaurant. The chicken balls, which I don't usually get but bought for my kids, were really good because they were actually big pieces of chicken with a light and crispy batter instead of a traditional small nugget surrounding by a big doughy mass. The ginger beef was solid but was a little too sweet and not spicy enough. I asked for extra spicy and there was no heat at all.
This place used to be in the Stadium centre. I believe they were causalities of the fire in that strip mall. I frequented it a lot at that location with my dad and aunt for their lunch buffet. Best S&P squid in the city.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:38 PM   #1611
CactusJack
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
You’ve got him! He’s been biding his time for 14 looooong years waiting to get a plug in that his restaurant is reopening! That is what you call an extremely well thought out and executed plan!
CactusJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 02:40 PM   #1612
CactusJack
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Does anybody know what’s going on with Foo in Mission? We’ve been waiting forever for it to reopen, I hope it’s not gone for good.
CactusJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 03:07 PM   #1613
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Ordered al pastor for tonight, haven't tried them before. I do like a good taco, so I'm looking forward to it.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 03:12 PM   #1614
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have had a couple meals from forkandfarmcatering who usually cater some high end events, that have switched to in-home service.

Extremely delicious. http://shop.forkandfarmcatering.com
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 03:13 PM   #1615
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, I went to Cardinale last night for the first time in ages, and instantly reminded me why I love that place. The food there is so damn good, I'm still thinking about it today.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:44 AM   #1616
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Ordered al pastor for tonight, haven't tried them before. I do like a good taco, so I'm looking forward to it.
How was it? Considering ordering for Tuesday!
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:47 AM   #1617
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
How was it? Considering ordering for Tuesday!
Tortillas were excellent, survived the 15 min drive home in great shape. Meat was flavorful and had some good crispy edge bits in it which are my favorite. Lots of pineapple/onion for on top, and the one of the salsas had really good kick to it. All in all, fed two adults no problem and felt like good value for the money. We'll order it again when the kids are home and get two different kits so we can mix it up a bit.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2020, 01:00 PM   #1618
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
For many downtown workers who are also Vietnamese sub afficionados, Trung Nguyen is the best sub in Calgary, despite the popular opinion thinking that Thi Thi is. I just wanted to let everyone know that they are still open, and (based on the one I am scarfing right now) the subs are still the best around.

The owner told me to just call ahead to order, and then again when you arrive, and she will bring your sub out to the curb so you dont have to park. They are now on Door Dash, so you can see the menu if you'd like to order by phone, or for delivery.

If you get a chance, please return for a visit, or try it for the first time. It's a true gem, and I would hate to see if become a victim of the pandemic/oilpocalyse.
These guys also make really good frozen spring rolls. It is my go to place for getting spring rolls at home. Just tell them you want to order some frozen spring rolls and I believe they will prepare some for you. I think they sell them in bags of two dozen or so. I usually give them around a weeks notice so that they have plenty of time to make my order (3 or 4 bags per order.)
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:28 PM   #1619
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXguy View Post
Sate duck???? I know where I'm going this weekend.

Edit: Is duck a new item? I don't see it on google.
They do the duck sub when they have enough leftover from their restaurant, so it's on the board if they have enough. I get it every time I've gone, but it's never been sate duck. It's always been Peking duck whenever I've had it.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2020, 09:47 AM   #1620
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we count Schanks as a local restaurant? Either way looks like they are gone.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1275082599476518913
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fast food sucks , local owned , support small business