Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2017, 03:16 PM   #661
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I think he wants a good cake not a German one. Frambois is a new bakery on 10th and 20th or Eclair de Lune on Northmount and 40th. Can't personally recommend them as I haven't been able to eat at either, but I'm sure the standard review sites could help.
Eclaire de Lune is pretty good
Old 02-14-2017, 03:16 PM   #662
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviaant View Post
I just booked Alloy for this Saturday. Ive been wanting to go for a while now, im very excited.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
It's our go-to "fancy" restaurant. Friday and Saturday is the tasting menu - I would recommend giving it a go. The quality has improved over the last 5 years, it went from 4 to 5 stars.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:21 PM   #663
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I booked the Longview Steak House a couple of months ago for my birthday next Friday. I've never been and don't really know may who have to ask, but I'm getting pretty excited.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:15 PM   #664
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I booked the Longview Steak House a couple of months ago for my birthday next Friday. I've never been and don't really know may who have to ask, but I'm getting pretty excited.
I read about this place in another thread and its really peaking my interest because I have never heard of this place. The reviews sound really good even though I am not a review type person.

A little research I have done shows that this place is busy and requires an advance reservation which is also intriguing given the location of the place.

If anybody here has actually gone can they give us any sort of feedback? I am trying to find a website to also see about the little motel on premises but can't find anything.

Thanks!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:27 PM   #665
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Decided to skip the fancy cake today and get that another time when I've had more of a chance to check things out. Grabbed a Marble Slab ice cream cake instead.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:30 PM   #666
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just decided to bail on going out for dinner tonight.

Anyone got a good place to order in from? Downtown area.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:37 PM   #667
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Decided to skip the fancy cake today and get that another time when I've had more of a chance to check things out. Grabbed a Marble Slab ice cream cake instead.

A great place I like going to is http://www.thepiehole.ca/sweet/ The Pie Hole. They do amazing, great tasting high end pies. I don't know if they do cakes or not but for me personally a sweet pie/cake is similar.

They aren't cheap but the workmanship is top notch.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2017, 05:42 PM   #668
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
A great place I like going to is http://www.thepiehole.ca/sweet/ The Pie Hole. They do amazing, great tasting high end pies. I don't know if they do cakes or not but for me personally a sweet pie/cake is similar.

They aren't cheap but the workmanship is top notch.
I've been meaning to check that place out but the one time that it crossed my mind when I was in the area it was closed because it was a Monday. I'll make it out there sooner or later.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:06 PM   #669
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I read about this place in another thread and its really peaking my interest because I have never heard of this place. The reviews sound really good even though I am not a review type person.

A little research I have done shows that this place is busy and requires an advance reservation which is also intriguing given the location of the place.

If anybody here has actually gone can they give us any sort of feedback? I am trying to find a website to also see about the little motel on premises but can't find anything.

Thanks!
I'll let you know once I go on the 24th. I actually made this reservation back in mid-December and when I called for the holidays and they kind of laughed and told me they were booking into early February.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2017, 07:41 PM   #670
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I'll let you know once I go on the 24th. I actually made this reservation back in mid-December and when I called for the holidays and they kind of laughed and told me they were booking into early February.
I think I remember hearing they book a week or two in advance and now your saying February when you called in December?? Ohhh my
Old 02-14-2017, 09:17 PM   #671
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spaghetti Cafe Prairie is awesome. We've been there a number of times and have never had a bad meal. The noodles are always perfectly cooked.
http://calgaryherald.com/life/food/j...-italian-twist
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:17 PM   #672
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I think I remember hearing they book a week or two in advance and now your saying February when you called in December?? Ohhh my
I can't remember for sure, but I think that was the timeline, at least for
Friday night.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:11 AM   #673
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Not really restaurant related but I have an urge to buy a cake for tonight. Obviously nothing custom because it is pretty short notice. I don't even know what kind but I just want cake. Maybe cheesecake or maybe some sort of chocolate and caramel type cake. Red Velvet is always good too.

That being said, I need some suggestions for a good bakery or store to visit in the NW to find a cake.
If you're willing to make the trek to Chinook Centre area, WOW bakery has really good cakes. They use fresh cream for their whipped cream icing, and it's amazing.. Cakes are not too expensive either. Under $30 for a 8" round cake that can probably serve 6 people.

Try their Strawberry cream cake. They have a facebook page with lots of photos and prices too.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #674
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
Spaghetti Cafe Prairie is awesome. We've been there a number of times and have never had a bad meal. The noodles are always perfectly cooked.
http://calgaryherald.com/life/food/j...-italian-twist
I have lunch there sometimes - hope they survive, because it is never busy, and many places have failed there. It seems to open or closed randomly.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #675
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone done walk-in seating at Notable? We're thinking about heading down around 7:15-7:30pm.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:40 PM   #676
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Anyone done walk-in seating at Notable? We're thinking about heading down around 7:15-7:30pm.
Depending on the night, you may be lucky to sit at the bar. Tables can be hard to get.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2017, 03:27 PM   #677
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Depending on the night, you may be lucky to sit at the bar. Tables can be hard to get.
As an aside, I have found Notable and their offshoots (A New Table, Nash) to be really disappointing. Notable and New Table have both been really mediocre at best in my experience (to the point I will never go again) and have heard the same about Nash (from foodie friends I trust). A whole bunch of smoke & mirrors hiding essentially Moxie's quality, much like Trump Resorts are essentially Best Western with shiny paint.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2017, 04:51 PM   #678
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Disappointing to hear the poor reviews lately, so maybe it isn't quite as busy, but we had to walk-in really early (like 5:00) to have a chance.

That was a few years ago, and I thought it was very good at the time.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2017, 01:02 AM   #679
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
As an aside, I have found Notable and their offshoots (A New Table, Nash) to be really disappointing. Notable and New Table have both been really mediocre at best in my experience (to the point I will never go again) and have heard the same about Nash (from foodie friends I trust). A whole bunch of smoke & mirrors hiding essentially Moxie's quality, much like Trump Resorts are essentially Best Western with shiny paint.
Naw, Nash and Offcut are good. Especially if you stay in the cocktail and Appy zone.

Notable, however, is not my favourite.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #680
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nash breakfast is fantastic.

Also went to Ten foot Henry the other day. There truffle mustard on steak was fantastic and the Yam tortilla was amazing. Both new items since I had been there last.

Last edited by GGG; 02-19-2017 at 08:21 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fast food sucks , local owned , support small business