Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2021, 04:00 PM   #761
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Holy hell? Are you kidding me? That's wild and crazy.

####, even Kijiji itself and the Calgary Police tell you outright NOT to meet at your home but rather a public place.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...violent-thefts

https://help.kijiji.ca/helpdesk/basi...at-the-meet-up
Is that an evidenced base practice or a fear based practice? If you note from the article the thefts aren’t occurring at people’s homes they are secluded locations yet they recommend not doing at your house.

Also how does 90 thefts compare to the total number of transactions and the risk of driving to the public location.

Last edited by GGG; 10-27-2021 at 04:03 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:37 PM   #762
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've never had a problem buying at someones home, nor selling from my own. I almost never allow someone inside or go inside someones home. I've met someone in a mall parking lot too and that seemed sketchy thanks to crap lighting and not too busy despite being 99% sure it was all legit. Also, I think using Facebook marketplace gives you that much more info than Kijiji - you can check out their profile ahead and get an idea of the person.

... coming from a tall white guy middle-class privileged perspective...
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 12:29 AM   #763
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Had one of those sellers that won't accept etransfer, must be cash. It was $30, I had a $50, asked if she had change so I could skip another stop.

She said sure, then upon arrival handed me a ziplock bag with 10 toonies in it. Not the end of the world, but as someone that rarely uses cash and almost never uses change for anything, uggh.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:37 AM   #764
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ As someone who (used to) buy a lot of smaller items on kijiji, I went to the bank and specifically got $200 in $5 and $10 bills for kijiji transactions. Put it aside in a drawer. Super helpful when it comes to paying (and occasionally giving change) as you don't have to worry about having or needing the exact amount.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:24 AM   #765
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Had one of those sellers that won't accept etransfer, must be cash. It was $30, I had a $50, asked if she had change so I could skip another stop.

She said sure, then upon arrival handed me a ziplock bag with 10 toonies in it. Not the end of the world, but as someone that rarely uses cash and almost never uses change for anything, uggh.
People who don't accept etransfers are dopes of the highest order. It makes Kijiji transactions so fataing annoying when they should be so easy.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:27 AM   #766
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
People who don't accept etransfers are dopes of the highest order. It makes Kijiji transactions so fataing annoying when they should be so easy.
So dumb. I don’t want to talk to you, or interact. Put your #### on the front step and let me put the money directly into your bank account. Why are you making this more complicated?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2021, 09:35 AM   #767
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm never meeting someone in a parking lot ever again, an item I bought last year had scratches that I couldn't see in dim light. A front porch outdoor light would have been great and I would have changed my mind on buying it.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:42 AM   #768
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
I'm never meeting someone in a parking lot ever again, an item I bought last year had scratches that I couldn't see in dim light. A front porch outdoor light would have been great and I would have changed my mind on buying it.
Your phone has a flashlight...seems a simple issue to mitigate.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:44 AM   #769
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I prefer etransfer as well, but if there's ever a time where it will take 30 minutes to process, it will almost always be when you're buying something off of Kijiji.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2021, 10:55 AM   #770
zztim81
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Kijiji is funny, I fought with Samsung to repair under warranty a top load washing machine since January, after a ton of run arounds and 4 trips out by repair guys, they finally said the transmission was shot and it was unrepairable. Repair guy said go buy a LG! We had a baby in May and no way i was going to go to a laundry mat with a newborn while waiting for a replacement so bought a new LG that was actually in stock at Costco. New replacement machine finally gets delivered two weeks ago. almost 10 months since i started having problems. its not even out of the shipping box so i listed it on Kijiji for 600, online price is 830-795 +gst two weeks on kijiji and only one response from a low baller that offered 400 cash. So with the snow coming i want it off my driveway, posted to Facebook maketplace and a few buy and sell groups at 9pm last night for 550 and it was sold in 30mins full price. Had multiple offers and interest including a hutterite that wanted to trade for a handmade king feather down bedding set lol. I really dont get it, if im looking for something i check kijiji and buy and sells, why it sold so fast for 50 bucks less on facebook really surprised me.
zztim81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:34 PM   #771
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I prefer etransfer as well, but if there's ever a time where it will take 30 minutes to process, it will almost always be when you're buying something off of Kijiji.
I find ATB takes forever. TD is almost always instant.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 02:12 PM   #772
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Yeah autodeposit has kind of f’d that up for me. I’d always send it before I left the house. Then just tell them the password was 1234 or something easy when I pick it up.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 07:56 PM   #773
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get a message about a listing:

"firm?"

Like as in pricing? Or like supple in the hand?

Look up the potential buyer, 1 stars only, "Unfriendly" and "Unfair Negotiation". Perfect, blocked.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 05:41 PM   #774
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I’m selling some OEM truck running boards for cheap, and there is a guy from Toronto who wants to buy them. Says to pack them up, he’ll send the money in an etransfer, email me a waybill and have Purolator pick them up (on his account). Seems a bit weird; could I get screwed on this?
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:45 PM   #775
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's pretty tough to get screwed by an etransfer, no? Aren't they irreversible?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:58 PM   #776
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The only way I could think of the etransfer being a problem is if it was from an account that was funded fraudulently. I.e. guy manages to get a bad cheque deposited, sends the money, you deposit, cheque bounces, money gets clawed back. Or some variation.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:16 PM   #777
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

It is a common scam. The etransfer is likely from a hacked account and will be reversed when the fraud department takes a look at it. By the time you notice, your running boards will be on their way to Toronto.

https://www.google.com/search?q=e+tr...ransfer+kijiji

Last edited by Flames0910; 12-08-2021 at 07:19 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 08:53 PM   #778
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Could be legit. I literally just did this last month except I was the buyer.

I bought some awesome wheels for ridiculously cheap. $500 brand new (guy had taken them off his telluride new as he put aftermarket wheels on and I wanted them to put winters on my wife's telluride). I e-transfered him the money, he boxed them and gave me weight and dimensions. I sent him waybills and it all worked out perfect.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:14 PM   #779
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Normally I'd say it sounds scam-ish, but like the Telluride rims, who develops a complex scam and hacks into someones bank account to score a pair of running boards?

Like if they had the cash in the account, just steal the cash, why bother having running boards shipped to you?
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:27 PM   #780
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Normally I'd say it sounds scam-ish, but like the Telluride rims, who develops a complex scam and hacks into someones bank account to score a pair of running boards?

Like if they had the cash in the account, just steal the cash, why bother having running boards shipped to you?
They then etransfer too much “by mistake” and then ask you to transfer the extra back to them. Then when it gets clawed back for fraud, they’re not the ones getting the stolen amount taken away. It’s you. Now you’re out running boards and hundreds of dollars.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote