Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-27-2021, 08:52 AM   #261
Gondi Stylez
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Some of the comments here are....interesting! I highly recommend folks watch Explained on Netflix - the episode titled Time.
Gondi Stylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:54 AM   #262
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The obvious solution is to create our own, Alberta Proud!, timezone that's half an hour between Mountain and Pacific time.

Problem solved!
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2021, 08:56 AM   #263
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Other than scientists, I have literally never heard anyone mention circadian rhythms. I think Pepsi was joking and you took it seriously.

Been mentioned 10 times in this thread, including this post. 3 by you and 1 by Pepsi. So 5 before today.
Well who knows, maybe I'm out to lunch. I mean 49.9% of voters agreed with me, so I can't be entirely on my own here.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2021, 09:23 AM   #264
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I also think solar noon should be as close to noon on our clocks as possible, as often as possible.
Why?

If solar noon lined up with actual noon, we would have a 3:45am sunrise and a 8:15pm sunset on the solstice. What good does that accomplish? At the equinoxes we would have the sunrise at 6am and set at 6pm. On all but the longest days of the year we would have no useable daylight after work.

Personally I think solar noon should be as close to the "middle" of most peoples days as possible. If the average person gets up at 6am and goes to bed at 10pm it would be best to line up solar noon with 2pm so we can enjoy as much sun as possible while we're awake.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2021, 09:50 AM   #265
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think people are vastly overestimating how much evening sun they'd actually use in the winter. I also think people are vastly underestimating the impact of very late sunrises for months on end on their mental well being.

We are already on a time zone where we are getting light later than normal solar noon. Not sure why people wanted to further exasperate that.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:53 AM   #266
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Other than scientists, I have literally never heard anyone mention circadian rhythms. I think Pepsi was joking and you took it seriously.

Been mentioned 10 times in this thread, including this post. 3 by you and 1 by Pepsi. So 5 before today.
Nah, I agree with Slava. I just picked a phrase. Biological clocks, solar noons, it's all jibber jabber nobody has cared about until this vote. People binge Squid Game until midnight and then cry about what time the sun comes up because it's against the natural order of our ancient ancestors or whatever. People don't drink enough water, sit too much, enjoy drugs and alcohol, chow down on McDonalds, drive polluting trucks, etc etc etc and you propose that sunrise changes for a few months of the year and suddenly they're all granola naturopaths concerned about the science of the body and achieving ultimate peace with the sun.

Y'all dumb.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2021, 10:11 AM   #267
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Nah, I agree with Slava. I just picked a phrase. Biological clocks, solar noons, it's all jibber jabber nobody has cared about until this vote. People binge Squid Game until midnight and then cry about what time the sun comes up because it's against the natural order of our ancient ancestors or whatever. People don't drink enough water, sit too much, enjoy drugs and alcohol, chow down on McDonalds, drive polluting trucks, etc etc etc and you propose that sunrise changes for a few months of the year and suddenly they're all granola naturopaths concerned about the science of the body and achieving ultimate peace with the sun.

Y'all dumb.
Or adding structural changes which cause these issues to become worse isn’t a good idea. We need our structures as good as possible so that we have the room to behave like idiots when given the choice.

This actually shouldn’t be a referendum question though experts should get together between the 2 non switch options and then we follow what everyone else does on switch / no switch.

What’s interesting is that places nearer to the equator due get dark year round between 6 and 7 and sun rises between 6 and 7. Those places don’t seem to be concerned with evening light to do activities to sacrifice morning light. I think we associate darkness with cold so we have an aversion to dark activities whereas places with nicer weather don’t have this association and nightlife happens in the dark.

Today is a good example of a day that would have been made better on MST. It was dusk at 8:00 today. Moving that to 7 would have been much better.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2021, 10:24 AM   #268
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Or adding structural changes which cause these issues to become worse isn’t a good idea. We need our structures as good as possible so that we have the room to behave like idiots when given the choice.

This actually shouldn’t be a referendum question though experts should get together between the 2 non switch options and then we follow what everyone else does on switch / no switch.

What’s interesting is that places nearer to the equator due get dark year round between 6 and 7 and sun rises between 6 and 7. Those places don’t seem to be concerned with evening light to do activities to sacrifice morning light. I think we associate darkness with cold so we have an aversion to dark activities whereas places with nicer weather don’t have this association and nightlife happens in the dark.

Today is a good example of a day that would have been made better on MST. It was dusk at 8:00 today. Moving that to 7 would have been much better.
Better for who? I'm working in my basement, it doesn't make any difference. But after work I like to go outside and get an hour of sun. So by your change, I'd lose that.

But the point is, everyone has different schedules and ideas as to what suits them best. Saying "this is better" only works for people who have similar needs as you.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2021, 10:27 AM   #269
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

Y'all dumb.
You guys are passionate, I’ll give you that. If it made you this angry, why only act now? Funny you call other people out by exaggerating their points but before now, I’d never heard any of the arguments you keep whining about. It’s weird to feign ignorance about the real reasons people don’t want it to change.

But hey, if this is that much of a dealbreaker, keep fighting. I don’t know anyone that actually cares or talks about time change or time zones. We could change to eastern time for all I care. I work eastern hours anyways.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:35 AM   #270
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Better for who? I'm working in my basement, it doesn't make any difference. But after work I like to go outside and get an hour of sun. So by your change, I'd lose that.

But the point is, everyone has different schedules and ideas as to what suits them best. Saying "this is better" only works for people who have similar needs as you.
Pepsi’s statement was that people don’t get benefit from morning light because they are up before anyway in the winter. Today is a good example of a day with opportunity to benefit from morning light. It’s days like today where the actual choice matters the 6-8 weeks post equinox.

Anyone using Solstice values for this discussion isn’t thinking about the real impacts in the 6weeks before and after the equinox’s. It doesn’t really matter outside those times as there is either too little or too much light.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:37 AM   #271
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You guys are passionate, I’ll give you that. If it made you this angry, why only act now? Funny you call other people out by exaggerating their points but before now, I’d never heard any of the arguments you keep whining about. It’s weird to feign ignorance about the real reasons people don’t want it to change.

But hey, if this is that much of a dealbreaker, keep fighting. I don’t know anyone that actually cares or talks about time change or time zones. We could change to eastern time for all I care. I work eastern hours anyways.
I also work eastern hours (mainly), so that part doesn't matter. I'm not super upset with this or anything, and it's no more effort for me to pop into this thread than to have my say on Jack Eichel. It's not even that it made me angry. I supported a move to a set time through the year when Thomas Dang (NDP) put it forward a few years ago, and this time. But life goes on.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:11 AM   #272
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Why does Solar noon have to align with 12pm on the clocks? Obviously our time is arbitrary.

As said by others, why wouldn’t we want solar noon closer to the middle of the time we are actually awake?

For most people that well after 12 noon. Well after 2pm for me, probably closer to 3 pm.
Old 10-27-2021, 12:54 PM   #273
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Why does Solar noon have to align with 12pm on the clocks? Obviously our time is arbitrary.

As said by others, why wouldn’t we want solar noon closer to the middle of the time we are actually awake?

For most people that well after 12 noon. Well after 2pm for me, probably closer to 3 pm.
Exactly. I have morning tasks, afternoon tasks, and evening tasks. It makes sense to have more daylight after 12:00, because I do more things from 12:00 until I go to bed than I do from when I wake up until 12:00.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:10 PM   #274
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I voted no because I heard a couple different experts on the subject say that other places that changed to later sunrises and sunsets in the winter had a bunch of problems and changed back within a couple years. I would personally prefer to stay on winter time because I get up late (comparatively) anyways, but swapping and then swapping back sounded like a waste of time and money to me.

I didn’t look into it any more than that. Maybe the people I saw on the Internet are wrong?
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:26 PM   #275
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think the gist of it is morning sun triggers the body to start it’s day and melatonin starts being produced when the light goes away but takes time. Think of pre-electricity equatorial regions.

Did they get up with the sun and go to sleep after dark or did they get up in the dark, then also go to sleep after dark. I believe you are making a false assumption that equa distribution of daylight across waking hours is natural.
Old 10-30-2021, 03:56 PM   #276
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
The obvious solution is to create our own, Alberta Proud!, timezone that's half an hour between Mountain and Pacific time.

Problem solved!
Newfie's of the west!
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 04:11 PM   #277
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
If the average person gets up at 6am and goes to bed at 10pm
The average person goes to bed at 10 pm? 12:30 am myself.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:34 AM   #278
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegypticus View Post
Maybe the people I saw on the Internet are wrong?
Blasphemy!

jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jwslam For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2021, 10:14 AM   #279
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Because ‘noon’ would be different for everyone, and then it would have to be tied to something arbitrary and not rooted in anything. At least ‘noon’ now is tied to something (fairly) consistent across people. It doesn’t matter in the slightest whether you work 6-6 or 9-5 or 1-9. The ‘time we are actually awake’ is a bizarre standard.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:41 AM   #280
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I have a solution, let's change all our jobs to farm hours.

We are only permitted to work when there is a daylight!
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote