Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-13-2021, 11:32 AM   #13441
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Technically correct.

Maybe he would be open to coming here to make one final throat slash gesture when Gio hangs them up

The guy is a loser who has at least 6 suspensions related to head contact and still doesn’t get it.

No thanks
The other thing is he's now two years older. I don't know that he fits the age range this team should be targeting now.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2021, 12:31 PM   #13442
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Gio was noticeably better under Sutter

Or maybe he was just noticeably worse under Ward because his stretch of declining play correlates pretty well with Ward’s tenure as coach.

It’s also important to note that essentially everyone paired with Rasmus performed worse (he had a nightmare season) and everyone paired with Tanev played amazing
Old 06-13-2021, 01:44 PM   #13443
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I think he vetoe'd the trade largely so he could stay in Toronto. Which didn't happen anyways. So now he could be more open to it.
It was shared here sometime in his first season with Colorado that he said he vetoed the trade because he didn't want to leave Toronto. He thought it was a one time scenario and wasn't told that they were going to trade him to another team.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:06 PM   #13444
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
It was shared here sometime in his first season with Colorado that he said he vetoed the trade because he didn't want to leave Toronto. He thought it was a one time scenario and wasn't told that they were going to trade him to another team.
He is an idiot then but that seems likely considering his track record.

I don't get the desire the stay with a team that obviously wants to move you
Old 06-13-2021, 11:07 PM   #13445
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
As painful as it was to lose Brodie for nothing I couldn’t be happier that the trade fell through. Kadri is a selfish player and at the worst possible times for his teams he pulls garbage and shows no respect for his opponents. No thank you.
Don't forget it was Kadri and Brown
Old 06-14-2021, 07:31 AM   #13446
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I think he vetoe'd the trade largely so he could stay in Toronto. Which didn't happen anyways. So now he could be more open to it.
Quote:
“What happened is they had a deal in place and they wanted me to move my no-trade clause,” Kadri explained on the podcast. “Obviously, for me, it was no disrespect to Calgary or the Flames organization — I love their team and I love the direction they’re headed. I just figured that had I declined, I would have had a better opportunity of being a Maple Leaf next year, and that’s really what it came down to.

“I wanted to play for the Leafs next year. I wanted to be a part of that. In declining that trade, I had aspirations of being a Leaf, and we know clearly that didn’t happen.”
https://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey...rade-to-flames
Old 06-14-2021, 07:59 AM   #13447
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Looks like Dougie might be headed for his fourth team since 2015:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1404422212631908355

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 08:04 AM   #13448
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Looks like Dougie might be headed for his fourth team since 2015:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1404422212631908355
Looks like Dougie is probably going to Washington (highest museums per capita):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...rs-per-capita/

Quote:
To its credit, D.C. blows every state out of the water when it comes to the number of museums and related institutions per square mile. And no other state comes close to the absolute number – more than 2,900
The Following User Says Thank You to Tkachukwagon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 12:15 PM   #13449
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post

Or maybe he was just noticeably worse under Ward because his stretch of declining play correlates pretty well with Ward’s tenure as coach.

It’s also important to note that essentially everyone paired with Rasmus performed worse (he had a nightmare season) and everyone paired with Tanev played amazing
Noticed that as well.

Likely has to do with the system change. As I’ve said many times on CP, Ward had the Flames playing a very taxing system which isn’t even a bad system, but the personnel on this team isn’t built for it. So in the end, it left the Flames’ defensemen very vulnerable for counter attacks and Gio’s greatest weakness is probably his mobility. Gio can be beaten wide a lot (think Ramo and McDavid injuries), so when you have the other team barreling down the ice with no back pressure, that’s not the exactly ideal system or situation to put a 37 year old defenseman into.

Sutter on the otherhand plays a much more conservative system which gives the defensemen much more support and thus, helps to cover up Gio’s shortcomings. With the game becoming much more “half court” style, that’s where Gio’s game thrives. He can use his aggressiveness and hockey IQ more under this system which should put less strain on his body, making him more effective. There’s no doubt in my mind Gio should be able to maintain a similar high level of play for years under Darryl.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:50 PM   #13450
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post

No he was noticeably better when paired with Tanev.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 12:52 PM   #13451
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

^ Yep he still stunk, under Sutter, while paired with Andersson. As many may recall, it was Sutter who said Gio had issues working with the younger defenseman.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:01 PM   #13452
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
No he was noticeably better when paired with Tanev.
That is also true. Gio has always worked well with faster defensemen who can cover up for his lack of mobility. But Gio brings a lot to the table too. He’s probably still the best defenseman on the team offensively. He can still pinch at the right times, keep pucks in at the blue line and make the right plays. His shot gets blocked too often for my liking, but he’s still a threat for a double digit goals which isn’t too shabby for a dman.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:04 PM   #13453
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
^ Yep he still stunk, under Sutter, while paired with Andersson. As many may recall, it was Sutter who said Gio had issues working with the younger defenseman.
Sutter also said Gio was the best defenseman on the team and then proceeded to promote him to the top pair and play him the most minutes of any skater on the team. He still had Gio playing 26-27 minutes in some of the meaningless games to end the season.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:17 PM   #13454
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Sutter also said Gio was the best defenseman on the team and then proceeded to promote him to the top pair and play him the most minutes of any skater on the team. He still had Gio playing 26-27 minutes in some of the meaningless games to end the season.
Absolutely. Sutter never said Gio stunk when he paired him with Tanev. Thats my own interpretation of his play. It was very clear that Sutter loved Gio and that his play was much improved. But that was mostly on Tanev who had a pretty remarkable season here all things considered.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:19 PM   #13455
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact that Ward had Gio with Andersson and Hanifin with Tanev was, on its own, reason enough to fire him.

Gio-Tanev
Hanifin-Andersson

is just so obvious.

And yes, Hanifin-Tanev was really good, but Gio-Andersson was so terrible that it was a net negative. Waiting more than half a season to fix it? GTFO.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:04 PM   #13456
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting, just heard a bit about the surgery that Eichel is going to be doing, and it's the replacement of the herniated disc with an artificial one. It's never been done on a hockey player before (the old way was fusion, which restricted movement) but it has successful been done on UFC fighters to good result. I'm more on board the Eichel train now.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:15 PM   #13457
aaronkarlpatton
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Interesting, just heard a bit about the surgery that Eichel is going to be doing, and it's the replacement of the herniated disc with an artificial one. It's never been done on a hockey player before (the old way was fusion, which restricted movement) but it has successful been done on UFC fighters to good result. I'm more on board the Eichel train now.
That has my worries eased too, thank you for sharing that update

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2021, 03:23 PM   #13458
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Fascinating.
Old 06-14-2021, 04:06 PM   #13459
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is that the surgery the Sabres didn't want him to have?

Also, if/when he has it, what's the expected recovery time?
Old 06-14-2021, 04:27 PM   #13460
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Is that the surgery the Sabres didn't want him to have?

Also, if/when he has it, what's the expected recovery time?
Pretty sure that the surgery that there is disagreement. I believe this MMA Fighter, https://www.instagram.com/funkmastermma/, had the same surgery done in the middle of April. Seems to be back training pretty hard as of the past few days.
Closed Thread