Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2017, 07:07 PM   #21
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see Backlund signing a fairly team friendly deal if he can get a longer term deal (6-8 years). He feels like a career flame and if they can keep the cap hit under $5M going 7 years is worth it.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:08 PM   #22
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

2 feels like the best way forward for everyone.
Cycling76er is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:51 PM   #23
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

#3 or else #2

I think all 3 are a bit high - I would suggest:

3 x $5.8
5 x $5.3
8 x $4.25 (maybe 7 years)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:53 PM   #24
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

6 years, $30M. Backlund can retire a Flame, hopefully with a couple rings.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2017, 05:55 AM   #25
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF84 View Post

Backlund should stay a Flame until retirement. He will be an amazing leader and will still be a great defensive center when he is 36. Backlund is exactly the kind of player every team needs.

I completely agree with this, he deserves a long term deal to stay with the Flames. I wouldn't mind option #2, but I don't think we should be paying out 2nd/(possibly 3rd line centre in 2-3 seasons) $6m plus.

We win with guys like him.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:12 AM   #26
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

6 years 4.7 per
Old 09-08-2017, 07:42 AM   #27
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Obviously there are other options in between these three, but if these were your options which would you pick?

1) 6.75 million dollars x 3 Years - Keep Term Low And Take Advantage of Tkachuk's ELC, and Bennett/Ferland's bridge deals and not lock down any real long term consequence. Allow Backlund to sign a long term deal elsewhere if Bennett or Jankowski surpass him by then.

2) 5.75 million dollars x 5 Years - In many ways considered to be the "front-runner" deal - take on some term but have the AAV "solid".

3) 4.4 million dollars x 8 Years - Basically a retirement contract, with a relatively low AAV, banking on Backlund being an effective top 9 forward at age 36. Would basically be our "Hossa" deal so to speak.
From the Flames perspective, the best deal is #3 by far, it would be a dream come true if he agreed to that.

#2 is the only one that Backlund could conceivably accept, although I expect it's more likely he'd want at least 6 years, $6M AAV.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:58 AM   #28
BrownDrake
Backup Goalie

Exp:

He's getting traded or Bennett likely is.

If they have a good read on Bennett being at least a quality 2 way second line center Backlund is traded for a high quality RW prospect/roster player.

If Backlund is their guy Bennett is moved to the wing by next season or traded for a top line RW.

They have to be counting on a Lazar/Jankowski filling the third line Center slot in at least 1-2 years.

Backlund is going to be costlier than any of you believe, he is going to get a 6-7 year deal somewhere that needs an elite 2nd line two way centerman - they are rarer than you think and one of the main ingredients for playoffs.

Given Sam's playoffs and style I think management is assured of his two way ability and his youth will win the day between the two.
BrownDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:11 AM   #29
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Obviously there are other options in between these three, but if these were your options which would you pick?

1) 6.75 million dollars x 3 Years - Keep Term Low And Take Advantage of Tkachuk's ELC, and Bennett/Ferland's bridge deals and not lock down any real long term consequence. Allow Backlund to sign a long term deal elsewhere if Bennett or Jankowski surpass him by then.

Deal #1 doesnt even take advantage of Tkachuk's ElC and Bennet and Ferlands bridge deals. It will last 2 years past each of those expiring.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:28 AM   #30
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Easy on this stuff.

He is a career 40 point guy and its a very large sample size.

He was great last year, no question. He is elite defensively as well. In no way is he anything more than an average offensive player though.

Thats why many believe you have to be very careful with this deal and if it doesnt work for the Flames, you have to deal him and get a decent return.
I guess you could call him a career 40 point guy, if you ignore the icetime, lack of PP minutes, slug linemates and games played for the first part of his career.

The last two years are the first years that he has played a full season. He put up 47 and 53 points despite getting the majority of his starts in the D zone and playing against the top lines on other teams.

Just imagine the points he could put up with Gaudreau on his line and the O zone starts the first line gets. I think he is an above average offensive player, he is just so elite defensively he gets used in that role, yet still puts up decent production.

Backlund is a rare breed in the NHL, the kind of guy who does EVERYTHING. Plays center, PP, PK, plays against the top lines every night, takes all the defensive draws. Guys like this are what every team wants. You need a guy like this to win. I have all the faith in Treliving knowing this team needs Backlund.

6X6 sounds about right to me. We shall see.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2017, 10:34 AM   #31
TheKurgan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Number 2 is closest - I say 4.75 to 5mil x 5 years. 1 to .5 mil below market because of Treliving.
TheKurgan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheKurgan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2017, 10:53 AM   #32
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Easy on this stuff.

He is a career 40 point guy and its a very large sample size.

He was great last year, no question. He is elite defensively as well. In no way is he anything more than an average offensive player though.

Thats why many believe you have to be very careful with this deal and if it doesnt work for the Flames, you have to deal him and get a decent return.
Average points per game in NHL last year was 0.33, or 27 points in a full 82 game schedule. Even as a 40 point player, he is well above average.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #33
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
Average points per game in NHL last year was 0.33, or 27 points in a full 82 game schedule. Even as a 40 point player, he is well above average.
To take this a little further...

Over the last 2 seasons, he has 100 points. That ties him for 67th in the league (among forwards) with Duchene, Galchenyuk, Williams and Niederreiter, and ahead of such people as Eberle, Pastrnak, Parise, Marleau, Toffoli and Horvat.

To call him an average offensive player is beyond laughable.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #34
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

8 years at $4ish MM / year makes sense to me. This team's competitive window is the next four years, and to have Backlund locked up during that timeframe at that cap hit would be great.

If he's overpaid a bit for the last four years, so be it. The first four will be worth it.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:17 PM   #35
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

It really depends on how much Bennett develops. If he breaks out I don't think long term you can keep both. I can see them inking Backlund and then trading him in year two of the deal.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:26 PM   #36
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBCT View Post
8 years at $4ish MM / year makes sense to me. This team's competitive window is the next four years, and to have Backlund locked up during that timeframe at that cap hit would be great.

If he's overpaid a bit for the last four years, so be it. The first four will be worth it.
If the Flames signed an 8 year deal with a 29 year old player

That would be a huge mistake

League is rapidly getting younger all of the time.

Last 3 years could be really scary
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flambers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2017, 02:33 PM   #37
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post

That deal would be a massive steal for the first 5 years.

Backlund's agent should be fired if he took that deal.

The difference between the 3 year deal and the 8 year deal is only $15 million. Backlund would still easily get a contract worth more than $15 million coming off his 31 year old season.

The trend doesn't really seem to be older guys taking less for more years. Look at the Kesler, Giordano, Lucic, Burns contracts.

They all got paid well, and long.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:51 PM   #38
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm all for a longer deal for a lower AAV. If Tre can get him in at a cap hit around 4.5 or less but has to throw him longer term to get it done I think based on the Flames current cap structure this could sets them up for a 4-5 year run.

If some young guys can push out players like Stajan, Versteeg and Lack out next summer, next summer could be a summer where the Flames have a ton of cap space to make another big splash. If a couple of Gillies/Rittich, Andersson/Kulak and Lazar/Foo/Klimchuk/Porier/Jankowski can become regulars and produce at the same or better level then guys above the Flames can easily be set up with a better team and a 3rd and 4th line full of players on steal contracts.

Depending on what the cap is next year I see the potential for 7-10 million cap space and a full roster. If you can get Backlund at 5 for 6 years then maybe you don't need to give him 8 years but I could see him wanting 5.5 for 6, if that is the case I like 4.4 for 8 better.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2017, 02:59 AM   #39
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, Backlund isn't great offensively but he is well above average.

Only a handful of players in the league can be really good offensively while playing the tough minutes Backlund plays. He is one of, if not the most important forward on this team.

I'd be happy with 6x5.5 million.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:42 AM   #40
Serapth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post

Your clear disdain for paragraphs make your posts read like a haiku. That said, I agree and 8 year deal on a 28/29 year old player is an anchor waiting to happen.

Of the options listed, I'd take number 2, but I think it's about a 15% overpayment.
Serapth is offline   Reply With Quote