Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2017, 08:26 PM   #2001
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole arsenal fans wouldn't accept what spurs fans are happy with is grasping at straws sorry, the clubs financial power hasnt been in the same stratosphere and won't be for another few years.

One club is trending upwards and about to move in to a brand new stadium, with the youngest starting XI in the league and England's 2 best and most exciting players

The other is in a rut with a disgruntled fan base and falling behind expectations of their fans

The argument from arsenal fans that spurs can't be happy because they wouldn't only makes some arsenal fans look miserable and a bunch of whiners
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2017, 11:49 PM   #2002
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Yeah I don't entirely disagree, but they're stagnant now. So while the fans really should be a little more grateful for him and what he has done for the club, supporters of others are going to enjoy their demise. That's just sports. I'm sure you enjoyed watching Pep go from "having the PL all figured out" in the fall to seeing some adversity as the year went on?
What demise?
We still won a major trophy and you won....????
At least finish ahead of us 2-3 years on before you start claiming a demise is happening.
You sound like an Oilers fan celebrating the Stanley Cup McDavid hasn't won yet.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 01:18 AM   #2003
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
The whole arsenal fans wouldn't accept what spurs fans are happy with is grasping at straws sorry, the clubs financial power hasnt been in the same stratosphere and won't be for another few years.

One club is trending upwards and about to move in to a brand new stadium, with the youngest starting XI in the league and England's 2 best and most exciting players

The other is in a rut with a disgruntled fan base and falling behind expectations of their fans

The argument from arsenal fans that spurs can't be happy because they wouldn't only makes some arsenal fans look miserable and a bunch of whiners

Arsenal fans have been moaning for years about what has made you deliriously happy. However, what is making you happy now is pretty much the best we can aspire to, so I'll take the Cup over being one of the best losers and another spanking in the CL.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:36 AM   #2004
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Atleticos transfer ban upheld by the CAS today. This will have numerous implications on the transfer market:

- Antoine Griezmann likely to stay there for another year
- Lucas Hernandez' £50m move to Man City is postponed until 2018
- Diego Costa likely to stay at Chelsea now
- Alexandre Lacazette (Lyon) can't join them, so will probably sign somewhere else now

EDIT: should probably go in the other thread, but obviously effects a few PL clubs too ...
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:56 AM   #2005
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
What demise?
We still won a major trophy and you won....????
At least finish ahead of us 2-3 years on before you start claiming a demise is happening.
You sound like an Oilers fan celebrating the Stanley Cup McDavid hasn't won yet.
Yeah, that FA Cup fixed everything and believe me that's what is so great. Until then it was Wenger out and maybe some common sense, but instead its two more years of mediocrity and delaying the inevitable.

You're right that Spurs haven't won anything yet. It sure looks like it's coming though! And yeah, you can say that we need to finish ahead of you for however many years, but it had to start somewhere.

(The Oilers fan shot is pretty low though!)
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:12 AM   #2006
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Repeating myself but Spurs look good in one of the weakest Premier Leagues since it started. Gives the delusion they actually are good. Look at them in Europe and you'll see what they are.

The difference is they aspire to be a good PL club the big clubs aspire to be the best in Europe. They blew their chance last season. Once the PL reaches a standard where the big clubs are competitive in Europe again watch the excuses fly. Wembley, adjusting to new stadium....

And yes, it sure looks like it's coming, except it never does. Jebus, United had a terrible season and finished up outperforming them. Fact.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:26 AM   #2007
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not off the opinion that the Griezmann deal is dead yet. The Atletico ban is nothing unsurprising or unexpected. Lot of time for this to play out.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:18 AM   #2008
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
I'm not off the opinion that the Griezmann deal is dead yet. The Atletico ban is nothing unsurprising or unexpected. Lot of time for this to play out.
Question;
Does the BAN from the CAS, only restrict them from purchasing new players? Or selling too (both)? I can understand them not wanting to sell though, considering they can't replace him.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:37 AM   #2009
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only buying.

The deal is still dead though. No reason for United to brief all of Stone, Ducker and Luckhurst within minutes after the decision if the deal was on. I suspect all parties agreed in advance that the deal hinged on the CAS decision.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:41 AM   #2010
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Why sell without a replacement (Costa) and now that they aren't going to be spending money on transfers they can throw it towards increased wages to get at least another year out of him?http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...nsfer-ban.html

Old 06-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #2011
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

also remember that activating the clause would mean paying the full amount up front. Normally you pay in installments, and I'm sure they would have negotiated that with Atletico if they could have bought replacements (Lacazette and Costa).

Griezmann also might feel he doesn't want to leave Atletico hanging now. Since Simeone stays, he might be okay with staying until next year if they adjust his wages.

Anyway, it all makes sense now. Griezmann said in that talkshow back then that his future would be decided within two weeks. That was 10 days ago or so.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:09 AM   #2012
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Technically Atletico can still buy players. They just can't register them to play so they have the option to buy then send the player on short term loan till January.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:04 PM   #2013
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

isnt their something weird with Spanish release clauses too?

wasn't it Herrera a few years ago where the issue came up with people pretending to be agents of United going to the Spanish FA?
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:04 PM   #2014
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

wasn't it Herrera a few years ago where the issue came up with people pretending to be agents of United going to the Spanish FA?
I vaguely recollect, but I think that was just the Basque, and them not wanting to sell one of their own. So they dinked around.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:12 PM   #2015
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

yeah that was the Moyes summer. It has changed though, teams no longer have that tax issue when activating a clause. Good article from March:

http://sportwitness.co.uk/no-tax-pay...run-griezmann/

anyway, as expected, Griezmann is staying put according to his Twitter.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:20 PM   #2016
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Repeating myself but Spurs look good in one of the weakest Premier Leagues since it started. Gives the delusion they actually are good. Look at them in Europe and you'll see what they are.

The difference is they aspire to be a good PL club the big clubs aspire to be the best in Europe. They blew their chance last season. Once the PL reaches a standard where the big clubs are competitive in Europe again watch the excuses fly. Wembley, adjusting to new stadium....

And yes, it sure looks like it's coming, except it never does. Jebus, United had a terrible season and finished up outperforming them. Fact.

Bahahaha! I know you're just trolling here, but that is hilarious!

Spurs 2nd place, 86 points, +60 GD with 26w 8d 4l
United 6th place, 69 points, +25 GD with 18w, 15d, 5l

You guys weren't even .500 and yet somehow that's outperforming the team with the least amount of losses in the league? Thanks for the laugh!
Old 06-01-2017, 03:39 PM   #2017
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Yeah, that FA Cup fixed everything and believe me that's what is so great. Until then it was Wenger out and maybe some common sense, but instead its two more years of mediocrity and delaying the inevitable.

You're right that Spurs haven't won anything yet. It sure looks like it's coming though! And yeah, you can say that we need to finish ahead of you for however many years, but it had to start somewhere.

(The Oilers fan shot is pretty low though!)
It hasn't fixed everything and many of us still want Wenger out (myself included).
But the fact remains that our worst season is better than your best, our problems that need fixing are issues you're not even in the realm of knowing about yet.
If Arsenal is mediocrity, Spurs aren't even mediocre yet.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 04:21 PM   #2018
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 06-01-2017, 05:28 PM   #2019
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

So instead of getting Griezmann, there's reports in Italy that United have wrapped up a €52m deal for Inter winger Ivan Perisic.

god, I hope that's not true. Might as well get ballistic and bid for Alexis Sanchez. If you're willing to spend €52m on a bang average player like Perisic, paying something like €75m for Sanchez with one year left actually seems very sensible.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 06:27 PM   #2020
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Sanchez would be a good addition. The costs are out of control in general, but he can help you win for sure.