Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-11-2016, 08:51 AM   #1
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default LF: Old Phones/Tablets In Working Condition For Students

Hello CP'ers,

I teach at SAIT in the School of Information and Communication Technologies. Our program is starting to rapidly add more mobile development for our students, as this is the way our industry is moving.

I would love to be able to setup a device testing lab for my students, where they would be able to test their applications and websites on various different tablets and phones with different screen sizes and specs. This would allow them to really understand the challenges of mobile development, and the broad range of devices they need to support.

Right now our program is in a spending freeze for new hardware, and even if we weren't, SAIT doesn't like to buy one-off devices. They always want to purchase a class set of the same gear, which makes it difficult to do what I'd like to do.

If you have an old smartphone or tablet sitting in a drawer collecting dust that's in working condition (doesn't need a SIM card, we won't use that) that you'd be willing to donate, please let me know. Donating your device to our device testing lab will mean that someone can use it as a means of testing their projects and bettering themselves as they train for their upcoming career. It'll get much better use with us than it will sitting in your drawer.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:20 PM   #2
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Have you checked out the Electronic Recycling Agency? They might have something for you. They are based in Calgary as well I believe.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:27 AM   #3
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why don't you use virtualization?

I used Genymotion for some testing a while back, and it worked very well.