Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-28-2016, 11:21 AM   #1
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:
Default Apple Music

Apple Music is driving me crazy, making a number of changes to iTunes.

I don't want to join Apple Music. I do subscribe to iTunes Match, so that all my library is up in the cloud and available on all my devices.

iTunes does not recognize that I am a Match subscriber only - it is greyed out in iTunes.

Now when I rip a CD into iTunes, it is automatically downloading the songs on to the devices. I don't want that (not enough memory). I just want the songs up in the cloud. This used to work before the latest iTunes update. I had to "remove downloads" from the devices, and not all of the songs are appearing in the cloud like they used to. Annoying.

Help!

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204406

http://www.imobie.com/support/fix-it...nes-12-2-1.htm

Last edited by troutman; 01-28-2016 at 11:39 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:40 AM   #2
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Turn off automatic downloads. I'll take a look on my phone in a sec.

[Edit]

Settings -> iTunes & App stores -> Automatic Downloads (switch off music).

That works to disable purchased music from downloading, I assume it does with cloud stuff too. I have to physically pick which playlists/songs to download. I've got a bunch in the cloud and not on my device. I'll see if there's any other settings but I think that should be it.

[Edit 2]

Aaaaand it looks like they changed it. Maybe the only reason I can do that now is because I have Apple Music as well?

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 01-28-2016 at 11:58 AM.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2016, 12:56 PM   #3
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The other thing that is different - I see a new icon when the song downloads to the device. There is an iPhone icon with a check mark on it. This is new, before there was only the cloud icon beside the songs.

When I "remove downloads" the new icon vanishes, but the songs don't appear in the could like they used to.

I might try calling Support on the weekend.

Maybe I should never install updates when iTunes is already working the way I want it to.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2016, 01:01 PM   #4
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
The other thing that is different - I see a new icon when the song downloads to the device. There is an iPhone icon with a check mark on it. This is new, before there was only the cloud icon beside the songs.
Yeah that's what I get with Apple Music now. When you create playlists you have the option to download to the iOS device or not. With AM if it has that phone icon it means it's available offline. Otherwise it'll stream.

Looks like if you only have Match, you won't have that option. Anything I could find said that Match alone downloads to iOS with no way to change it.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2016, 09:47 AM   #5
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had similar issues. I turned off iTunes match and built a new iTunes library, then started fresh, things were much smoother.

iTunes Match has always been a mess. Guessing Apple will eventually separate out the subscription service.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:11 AM   #6
The Reverend
Backup Goalie

Exp:

iTunes Match and Apple Music are both terrible. I had iTunes Match change a tonne of my own music as well as mysteriously lose a bunch of songs. Considered moving to Apple Music but I think it's targeted for the person that doesn't care if they own their music down the road.

Maybe I'm the crazy one.
The Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:56 AM   #7
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So this isn't helpful for any iTunes/Apple Music problems you are having, but seems a suitable place as any for a rant.

I use computers all day everyday and I couldn't figure out Apple Music. I guess I should say, I can't figure out iTunes. I know there are radio shows hosted by some music celebrities, and I found some, but only by searching for their name (e.g. Josh Homme, St. Vincent). I couldn't find where to see a list of such things. I mean, I'm sure I can Google for a list of the radio stations Apple Music has, but seriously...

Then I tried looking up albums for streaming. So I search, and it brings up a results page where I can buy the album I searched for. No, I want to listen to it as part of the unlimited streaming music service I signed up for. So I click though some tabs and find if I hit this button, it starts playing the album, instead of prompting me to confirm payment. Great. Which tab-context was I in, and what icon did I hit for it to get the streaming behaviour instead of the purchasing behaviour?

Google Play Music has a few flaws, but the UI is not one of them. Compare to Apple Music, it is a million times easier to use.

So, if you are having trouble figuring out Apple Music/iTunes, you are not alone.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:59 AM   #8
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

iTunes needs a refresh in a big way, but I've never found it confusing. There's some odd things that it does, but I can't say I was ever lost. Truthfully I had a harder time straightening out Spotify after I abandoned Rdio.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:22 PM   #9
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Google play family plan for the win!
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:15 AM   #10
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

When I "remove downloads" the new icon vanishes, but the songs don't appear in the could like they used to.

I might try calling Support on the weekend.

Maybe I should never install updates when iTunes is already working the way I want it to.
http://www.oldversion.com/windows/itunes/

iTunes does tend to piss me off, too. I've had to revert to an older version a few times now.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:21 AM   #11
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post
I know there are radio shows hosted by some music celebrities, and I found some, but only by searching for their name (e.g. Josh Homme, St. Vincent). I couldn't find where to see a list of such things.
Under the "New" tab, scroll down. There' Activity Playlists, Apple Editors Playlists, and what I assume you're looking for, "Curator Playlists".

Granted it's not overly intuitive, but I can't say I found it that confusing. No idea how you're bringing up the purchasing option vs streaming.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:31 AM   #12
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Under the "New" tab, scroll down. There' Activity Playlists, Apple Editors Playlists, and what I assume you're looking for, "Curator Playlists".

Granted it's not overly intuitive, but I can't say I found it that confusing. No idea how you're bringing up the purchasing option vs streaming.
I didn't give it a lot of effort before. I have very lightly used iTunes in the past few years, so probably got tripped up by some pretty obvious things.

Someone told me "Josh Homme has a radio show on Apple Music". I wanted to quickly find it. I had trouble. I retraced my steps here to explain the confusion I ran into. Going through this slowly, I certainly understand it better, but I still feel the contextual UI is atrocious.

So, finding Josh Homme's radio show.
  • I opened up iTunes and typed Josh Homme in the search box. Hmm, I gives me two choices to search "My Library" or "iTunes Store". Well, I don't have Josh Homme's radio show in my library....so I guess store?
  • The results have a lot of songs listed for purchase, as well as albums for purchase. Well, not even close to what I want.
  • Oh yea, on the top left, iTunes has this widget for selecting what type of media I want. I had it set to TV (never mind that my search turned up music and didn't suggest anything useful like "No results in TV. Maybe you want to try searching music?")
  • OK, Music mode enabled. Ah, I see, There are options for "My Music", "Playlists", "For You", "New", "Radio", "Connect", "iTunes Store".
  • Well let's try searching again, this time when I have the Music mode enabled. Hmm, the search results are again all for purchasing stuff. I know the context menu popped up and said I am searching the iTunes store, but how do I simply search for albums that I can stream from Apple Music? Wouldn't it make sense if the context allowed you to select between "My Music", "Store", "Apple Music (streaming)"? Oh well, ignore that for now, let's find Josh Homme's radio show. Maybe instead of searching, I'll browse to it. Okay, the top menu has an option for "Radio". So obviously Josh Homme's radio show will be listed under "Radio". *Click*
  • Recently played, featured stations, Canadian, Blues, Classical, Rock. This isn't what I want. Where are the celebrity radio stations?
  • Maybe I'll try search again. Maybe I missed it. Hmm, now when searching, the context menu has options for "My Library" and "Apple Music". That's different, I wonder what changed. Okay, now instead of finding albums, it listed something about Stations (which appear to be individual episodes, hence the name of the station being 'Ep 23...'), and it lists stuff about "The Alligator Hour with Josh Homme". Great. I can click a "Station" and hear the radio show. Still no clue how to find a list of other celebrity radio stations.
  • I see....when I clicked "Radio", it set a different context, so now the search menu over there behaves differently. Now when I move my cursor half-way across the screen to the search menu and select it, it has a different context, based on the highlighted menu option back in the middle of the screen. This means the search box behaves differently depending on three different contextual menu selections from three separate parts of the application. Holy fata that is bad.

Other highlights:
  • When I finally found the Josh Homme radio show, it never does call it "Radio". It seems he is flagged as a "Curator". But each episode of the show is listed under "Stations". But this must not be a radio station, since it cannot be found in the "Radio" menu. Wow.
  • The "New" menu has a memory. Let's say I am under New, flip back to Radio, then back to New. Instead of reloading the main New menu that I saw the first time I navigated here, it loads up the last page I found while browsing under "New". If I hit "New" again (even though it is highlighted), it THEN navigates me back to the main "New" page. This is very counter-intuitive, and behaves unlike any well designed web page. iTunes may be framed in a desktop app, but a lot of this navigation uses web UI conventions, so I would expect everything to behave like the web.
  • Okay, under New, looking to find a list of curators (like Josh Homme is labelled back on that other screen). Can't find him under Apple Editor Playlists or Curator Playlists. I give up.
  • BTW, what is the difference between a "Radio" station and a playlist? The Radio stations are not a live stream. I can skip ahead on the Radio station just like it were a regular "Playlist".

I realize most of the UI problems can be overcome with familiarity, but it still sucks. Rant over.

gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote