Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2015, 04:31 PM   #41
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Where's a good place to buy ski bindings from? (preferably on sale)
Buy from Fresh. Support local shops.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2015, 08:31 PM   #42
millhouse11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Which Sick Days? Even with the dollar that's an insane deal. I've got one pair, buying another this season.
They were the Sick Day 95. I just getting into skiing and thought they might be decent. My wife was looking at the Volkl One ski and bindings. Those were also $350. I'm a boarder and have a pretty good board, but everyone I go out with skis.
millhouse11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to millhouse11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2015, 08:50 AM   #43
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I found the womens I/O's at The Source.

I haven't been in that place since Junior High. I'm surprised they haven't started selling skis yet despite skiing becoming more and more popular with their target demographic.

It's not 2001 anymore. Not only parents ski.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:23 PM   #44
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just a reminder that the Max Bell Ski Sale is coming up this weekend. Public consignment is tonight and tomorrow night with the sale starting Friday night.
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fleuryisgod For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2015, 02:03 PM   #45
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuryisgod View Post
Just a reminder that the Max Bell Ski Sale is coming up this weekend. Public consignment is tonight and tomorrow night with the sale starting Friday night.
It was pretty disappointing last year. Seemed like anything decent was pretty much the same price as it is new. It was only good if you're looking to buy some old gear for a new skier or something.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 02:37 PM   #46
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

For a novice snowboarder such as myself that's only gone on rental gear so far, what's the best resource to figure out what to buy? There's so many different types of boards and bindings that I don't know what to go for
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:10 PM   #47
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frankly, it's a piece of wood with a p-tex base and metal edges. It will slide on snow. Just find something affordable that's the right dimensions for your weight and level of ability and pay as little as possible.

Also, the further away a piece of gear is from your body, the less it impacts your actual experience. Boots? Super important. Bindings? Less important. Board? Least important.

This is sort of like a newbie golfer deciding whether to buy expensive golf balls. It ain't gonna make much difference, man.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2015, 01:32 PM   #48
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
For a novice snowboarder such as myself that's only gone on rental gear so far, what's the best resource to figure out what to buy? There's so many different types of boards and bindings that I don't know what to go for
Corsi isn't out to lunch by any means with his post, but there's a bit more to it. Do you like groomed speed runs, the park, pipe, moguls, trees? Are you a heavy guy (go stiffer), light guy, big feet (need wider board), etc.? I'd make up a list of they type of riding you do and the type you'd like to do to kind of narrow down what "kind" of rider you are.

I like the way Burton rates their boards based on Terrain (park, groomers, backcountry); Personality (soft, medium, stiff); and width (standard, medium, wide). http://ca.burton.com/default/mens-snowboards

I have size 15 feet, so pretty much my only criteria is board width. I'll take the widest board any company is making in any given year and I get what I get, hah.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:06 PM   #49
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Priority.

1) Boots

5) Outfit for the conditions
6) Board
7) Bindings
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2015, 05:47 PM   #50
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ski wall complete for the year. Top to bottom:

Light / Long Distance Touring - Black Diamond Drift - 186 cm - Dynafit Radical FT
Deep Snow Touring - Black Diamond Carbon Megawatt - 188 cm - Dynafit Beast 16
Short Touring / Sidecountry - ON3P Steeple 112 - 186 cm - Marker Tour F12
Resort / Lift Access- ON3P Jeffrey 110 - 186cm - Rossignol FKS 180
Early Season / Rock Ski - ON3P Tychoon - 186 - Look PX12ti

Touring Pack - Black Diamond Alias Avalung Pack - 35L Capacity
Resort Boot - Tecnica Bushwacker 110
Touring Boot - Tecnica Cochise Pro Light
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2015, 06:44 PM   #51
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Priority.

1) Boots

5) Outfit for the conditions
6) Board
7) Bindings
I think I might put bindings ahead of board, but the importance of good boots can't be stressed enough.
They will make or break your day.

Especially when you're a newer rider, you won't be able to feel a difference between a $300 board and a $1000 board, but you will be able to tell the difference between $100 boots, and $300 boots.
Worry about other gear as you get better, but research, ask you local shop workers, and splurge on your boots.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:33 AM   #52
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just a final reminder that Sports Rent tune special ends in a couple days. Drop off your gear before the end of October and it`s $25 for a complete ski tune and $30 for snowboards. Right now we are averaging a 1-2 week turn around time to get your skis back to you.
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fleuryisgod For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #53
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuryisgod View Post
Just a final reminder that Sports Rent tune special ends in a couple days. Drop off your gear before the end of October and it`s $25 for a complete ski tune and $30 for snowboards. Right now we are averaging a 1-2 week turn around time to get your skis back to you.
I am going to send my GF your way to do her snowboard. Is that a CP deal or for everyone? Is it on tomorrow still?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:38 AM   #54
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

All about windburn:

http://www.innovateus.net/innopedia/...ptoms-windburn

One can easily prevent windburn. Exposed skin must be covered with sunscreen and moisturizer. Windburn is more frequent amongst skiers. They should protect their face with masks while skiing or snow-boarding. Regular use of petroleum jelly or moisturiser (three to four times a day), sunscreen lotion (with a SPF of atleast 15), hand gloves, scarves, mufflers, and chap stick helps to prevent windburn. Goggles prevent burning sensation in the eyes. One must use a mild cleanser to clean the affected areas. It is important to keep as much of the natural oils on the skin as possible. If the skin begins to blister or looks really swollen, one must immediately consult with a doctor. Some people use aloe vera, or chamomile tinctures as home-remedies. One must avoid hot shower and keep windburned areas away from the heat of heaters or fires. Doctors often prescribe mild pain reliever for severe windburn. Most OTC (over the counter) pain relieving drugs such as ibuprofen reduces discomfort. If the eyes feel irritated, one may consider “red eye” eye drops or “artificial tears” to combat itchiness.

What Is the Difference between Windburn and Sunburn?

• Sunburn is caused by ultraviolet rays, whereas, windburn occurs due to exposure to the chilly wind.
  • Sunburn can occur in both warmer and colder climate, whereas, windburn occur only in colder climate.
  • Windburn does not damage the skin harshly as sunburn.
  • Sunscreen can completely protect from sunburn, whereas, windburn cannot be prevented by the use of sunscreen. The oil layer can get removed by chilly winds even in the absence of sunlight.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:55 PM   #55
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

New gear for the season!

Skis are ordered now I'm just patiently (or not) waiting.

Spoiler!
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2015, 08:02 AM   #56
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

That backpack vest looks interesting, but I guess my question is why not just wear a backpack.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:21 AM   #57
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
That backpack vest looks interesting, but I guess my question is why not just wear a backpack.
Really wants to feel that probe
Old 10-30-2015, 08:23 AM   #58
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I think I might put bindings ahead of board, but the importance of good boots can't be stressed enough.
They will make or break your day.

Especially when you're a newer rider, you won't be able to feel a difference between a $300 board and a $1000 board, but you will be able to tell the difference between $100 boots, and $300 boots.
Worry about other gear as you get better, but research, ask you local shop workers, and splurge on your boots.
Cant really fata up bindings anymore. (Unless you go flow/step-ins)
Old 10-30-2015, 09:49 AM   #59
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I looked the thing up and it actually has some perks, most notably weight distribution to save your shoulders and lower back some strain.

The thing about the vest is even leaving aside the fact that most people need pack space for layers, in 90% of touring conditions in the rockies you're more worried about breathability than anything else, and this basically eliminates all opportunity to dump heat. Hence the OR trailbreaker being the sort of holy grail of Rockies touring pants. I guess it might be useful for resort access stuff, like the Castle cat terrain.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:41 AM   #60
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I doubt I'll use it much on full-on touring days. I usually carry lunch and an emergency sleeping bag and such, so I wouldn't be able to get away with this on a tour anyway. Lighter days maybe, since I have SI issues that touring in a backpack really aggravates.

As you noted, I picked it up primarily for resort/slackcountry. I usually cart my backpack around, and this seems like a way better solution. Carries enough stuff, holds the shovel/probe, and can carry the skis diagonally if I'm boot packing around Sunshine/Louise or up to Taynton Bowl. Also thought it might be okay if I do a cabin trip, leave the backpack when a guy's just doing laps.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote