Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2015, 04:42 PM   #21
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Now, a Ghostbusters with Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon, that I could go for!

Come on, and 'all-woman reboot' is about as crappy and gimmicky as it gets. If it was women in some other city setting up their own Ghostbusting company or something it may stand a chance.

But a gimmicky 'reboot?' This is a shameless cash grab.
a) Feig, Wiig and McCarthy made probably the best comedy of the last decade - if anyone, I have full confidence they can pull this off.

b) "Gimmicky reboot" worked pretty well for 21 Jump Street. It's not like Ghostbusters is some untouchable sacred cow. It was a great comedy for its time that has aged pretty poorly. It could use a re-do.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:45 PM   #22
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Aaannndd another movie series from my childhood is ruined.
Never got this mentality. A crappy reboot or sequel or whatever shouldn't ruin or tarnish your view on how much you enjoyed the original.

I'm as big a Terminator 1 and 2 fan you will ever find. I didn't care for 3 or 4, but by no means have i ever thought the first two were ruined because of inferior sequels. My memories of the movies I loved in the past remains the same, no matter how many poor sequels or reboots come out.

Is the original Psycho still not considered a classic despite 3 bad sequels and the pointless shot for shot remake? Of course it is.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #23
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Flame View Post
a) Feig, Wiig and McCarthy made probably the best comedy of the last decade - if anyone, I have full confidence they can pull this off.

b) "Gimmicky reboot" worked pretty well for 21 Jump Street. It's not like Ghostbusters is some untouchable sacred cow. It was a great comedy for its time that has aged pretty poorly. It could use a re-do.
If there was every an untouchable sacred cow of comedy, it's Ghostbusters.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2015, 04:52 PM   #24
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Which comedy was that Bridesmaids? I watched it because people kept telling me how great it was. That movie defined massively over rated.

21 jumpstreet completely spoofed a TV comedy series that was actually fairly serious at the time. The movie worked because it was a spoof of the original material.

Ghostbusters worked because you had a great mix of different characters. you had two straightmen in Ramis and Ernie Hudson. But you had two of the most brilliant comedy foils of the time in Aykroyd and Bill Murrey who could play off of all of the straight characters in that movie, including Weaver and that EPA investigator.

The dynamic was awesome and the chemistry was incredible.

I just find Wig and McCarthy to be at the head of the unsophisticated comedy wave. Wig plays the same character in every movie that she plays a major role in and McCarthy is just loud and annoying.

the other two are in your face as well. They basically grabbed these four because they're a known quantity.

Its not about being grouchy. Its about getting tired of movies with stunt casting and people playing the same character in everything they do. And being completely unsubtle about it.

Ghostbusters can't be redone, they tried it in the sequel and failed badly.

If you want it to be like 21 jumpstreet then you write a fairly serious movie with comedy thrown in to play off of the serious moments.

But then again I thought that Wig was completely over rated as a full time player on SNL, most of her characters just annoyed the hell out of me.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2015, 05:16 PM   #25
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
While Dan Aykroyd (Ray Stantz), Harold Ramis (Peter Venkman) and Ernie Hudson (Windston Zeddemore) had agreed to reprise their characters, Bill Murray proved elusive.

YOU CANNOT HAVE GHOSTBUSTERS WITHOUT PETER VENKMAN!!!
I think you nerd raged a little too hard here.

I cannot stand Melissa McCarthy at all. Just terribly unfunny. Typically I like Wiig. This better have friggin Slimer in it. And Janine. Better have Janine.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:53 PM   #26
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Harold Ramis has a writing credit for this, so I'm holding out one iota of hope. Exactly one. Two if they manage to talk Rick Moranis into coming out of retirement.

They have a little time to teach these four comedians how to act, if they start now.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:09 PM   #27
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

One can only hope that McCarthy gets a new Character. The Hangover wore that role out before she was even doing it.

It's said how bad it actually feels like this will be.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:38 PM   #28
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm with you, I think this has a lot of potential. I enjoyed the original, but it's not one of my all-time favourite movies.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:32 PM   #29
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ghostbusters 2 sucked enough with a great cast. I say give the ladies a shot.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:55 PM   #30
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I actually think it's aged well. But what ever, I'll just go back to collecting my molds, spores and fungus.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:59 PM   #31
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
If there was every an untouchable sacred cow of comedy, it's Ghostbusters.
There was already an animated series.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:07 PM   #32
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Most shows today couldn't hold a candle to the Real Ghostbusters series.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2015, 09:09 PM   #33
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

You mean Channing Tatum, Liam Hemsworth, Zac Efron and Chris Evans weren't available?

They should have picked a new f'ing awkward cast of Gilbert Godfrey, Gary Busey, Daniel Radcliff and Steve Buscemi.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2015, 09:11 PM   #34
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Wiig earned strong reviews in a darker dramatic role in The Skeleton Twins. She has far greater range than some of you suggest.

McCarthy has shown she is capable of subtle performance.

McKinnon is the best talent on SNL now. I see great potential in Jones too.

This movie has the potential to be a lot of fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2015, 09:18 PM   #35
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Which wasn't a rebooted movie, which was awesome.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:27 PM   #36
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

If you are critical of the cast, list the four women that you would prefer in a reboot.

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainm...-2012129/30758

I'm also a big fan of Kaling, Faris, Poehler and Plaza.

Last edited by troutman; 01-27-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:40 PM   #37
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you are critical of the cast, list the four women that you would prefer in a reboot.

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainm...-2012129/30758

I'm also a big fan of Kaling, Faris, Poehler and Plaza.
how about four men
Old 01-27-2015, 09:44 PM   #38
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

The first (AND ONLY!) Ghostbusters movie is near and dear to my heart. I wore out a VHS copy as a child and as an adult it's my traditional handing out candy movie on Halloween.

Heck as a child I was part of the Ghostbusters gang in our school play's toy box. I even had the Ghostbusters firehall play set and the ecto-1 car!

Point being, I love Ghostbusters and have a ton of nostalgic baggage attached to this franchise.

Coming from such unreasonably high expectations... I love this casting choice. When I originally heard they were doing an "all female cast" I assumed they were gonna go with some generic young hot chicks and make a worse film then Ghostbusters Part 2... which would be hard since that film doesn't exist.

Anyways, casting established female comedians and doing a true reboot works great for me. The original Ghostbusters legacy remains untouched, and a new generation gets to enjoy an updated flick.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:46 PM   #39
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
I'd prefer a reboot that doesn't sound like some wacky producer pitched this while on a big cocaine bender. "Ok, we're gonna redo Ghostbusters, but wait- wait - WE'RE GONNA CAST IT ALL WITH CHICKS!!!"

Well, actually, I'd prefer no reboot at all. Go head and cast a movie with four funny women as the main characters, but make an original film that'll make people laugh 30 years from now, not an unoriginal remake with a gimmick that'll make you groan in horror.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:52 PM   #40
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
I'd prefer a reboot that doesn't sound like some wacky producer pitched this while on a big cocaine bender. "Ok, we're gonna redo Ghostbusters, but wait- wait - WE'RE GONNA CAST IT ALL WITH CHICKS!!!"

Well, actually, I'd prefer no reboot at all. Go head and cast a movie with four funny women as the main characters, but make an original film that'll make people laugh 30 years from now, not an unoriginal remake with a gimmick that'll make you groan in horror.
thats the thing...having four women is a gimmick