Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #41
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraisoup View Post
All FPS games really do cater to causal. It is a genre where you basically have to know how to pull the RT. There is skill in versus I suppose but generally the FPS genre is a casual genre. I'm doubting the casual gamer picks up X-Com or an RPG.

I will always prefer halo over cod, just enjoy it more. I find cod is just more for multi player.

I personally haven't found much different in any COD game. I enjoy story over multi player in any game I play. But to be fair I am kinda getting sick of every other game being an FPS.
Perhaps on the console it's a casual genre but there are plenty of hardcore tactical fps games on the PC where you sure as hell need to know more than just how to pull a trigger. It's the same thing with racing games. You have your arcade racing games (CoD, Halo etc.) and you have driving sims (Red Orchestra, Arma, classic R6). In fact, the older Rainbow games were every bit as in depth as X-Com.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #42
miraisoup
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I can't speak for PC, I was speaking about console. They just pump so many out now and so many that are just mediocre at best. Most of them you are just able to press the right trigger and save the world that I find them more casual.

Last edited by miraisoup; 11-13-2012 at 06:26 PM.
miraisoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #43
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I can't speak for PC, I was speaking about console. They just pump so many out now that I find them more casual.
Fair enough and you are right. I am not trying to turn this into a console vs PC debate but fps games on console are extremely casual. Not that I don't enjoy them myself (Halo has always been a fun ride) but it all comes down to the limitations of controllers. Its why virtually every fps on console has some form of aim assist.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #44
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post
I get what your saying, but in truth, there has been more then 5.

Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST, Halo Wars, Halo Reach, Halo 4. (And soon to be halo 5 & 6 as part of the reclaimer trilogy)

Now I love Halo games, but besides ODST and wars, none of the games are that different. ODST was also released at full price and was basically an expansion pack.

Now with COD you get 1, 2, 3 and world at war (all WW2) then COD: Modern warfare warfare 1,2,3 and Black Ops 1/2, which I will admit is quite a few games, but it does move around quite a few time lines (WW2, Vietnam, Cold War)

Anyway, not really sure about the point besides the fact that enjoying COD seems to be some terrible thing, while enjoying Halo is par for the course.
Yeah but that's still over ten years and two generations of console - if you want to stay within the same console generation, Halo 1 and 2 are out, and CoD 3 is in (which I think was probably my favourite CoD, that or CoD 2).

I'm only trying to make rational sense of the viewpoint, not necessarily represent it.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #45
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm gaming right now, pm me if you want to party up.
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #46
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
I can't speak for PC, I was speaking about console. They just pump so many out now and so many that are just mediocre at best. Most of them you are just able to press the right trigger and save the world that I find them more casual.
Casual for one person is pretty intense for someone else. Just up the skill level and see how you do.

I find that my taste in games almost makes no sense. I cannot stand GTA but I will put a hundred hours into Oblivion. I will play and finish every Zelda, Mario and Castlevania game, possibly multiple times. Find me a good game where I can level grind mindlessly? I am all over it. I have tried to play Mass Effect on several occasions and I just cannot get into it. I get to the same place every time, the first town area, walking around for hours I cannot go any longer.

By the way, I did pick up Halo 4 and 1 hour in and it is fantastic. I also have Black Ops 2 and I found the multiplayer great. It doesn't matter to me that there is aim assist, it is a level playing field. A serious clan will demolish anyone out there, so I don't think it is 'casual'. Better players are clearly better at the game, you simply cannot mash your controller and expect to get anywhere.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:03 AM   #47
miraisoup
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I do up the skill level. I just mean the general audience. I consider myself a hardcore gamer, ill play anything but I'm kind of getting sick of FPS games. Anyway, I am gonna stop hijacking this thread back to halo talk.

Last edited by miraisoup; 11-14-2012 at 04:05 AM.
miraisoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #48
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I finished Halo 4 last night.

I've got to say, given how rave the reviews have been, I was slightly disappointed with the game.

It was definitely pretty, and the game mechanics felt good, but it was too short, and the ending sucked.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #49
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's everyone's favourite online game mode for Halo 4?

I'm kind of having fun with Dominion lately. I always seem to do well.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #50
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I beat legendary mode this weekend with my buddy. My god, what a tedious grind it is to beat that game with only 2 players on the hardest setting. It would be impossible to do it single player. Glad that I finally got it out of the way.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #51
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best thing to come from Halo is Red Vs Blue.

FPS with a console controller seems like masturbating with mittens on. Sure it might not be that bad, but at some point you need to realize that something just isn't right.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #52
Cheerio
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm loving playing flood, but it gets really stupid when people team kill you because "You're in their spot"
Cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #53
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
I'm loving playing flood, but it gets really stupid when people team kill you because "You're in their spot"
The amount that this type of crap happens in Halo is insanely irritating. Whether it's over a "spot" or a vehicle, it's ridiculous.

To no one's surprise I'm sure, I still think Call of Duty and Halo have the two worst online communities in the entire industry.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #54
Captain Chuckles
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I find it super hard to compete online nowadays though
Captain Chuckles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #55
Codes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
The amount that this type of crap happens in Halo is insanely irritating. Whether it's over a "spot" or a vehicle, it's ridiculous.

To no one's surprise I'm sure, I still think Call of Duty and Halo have the two worst online communities in the entire industry.
Which is sad, because back in the day, the whole reason I liked playing online was the friendships I built up playing with people from all over the place. Now it's pretty bad. I don't even bother playing unless I'm in a party with people I know.

Don't get me wrong, I am completely capable of being a dick, but it was always towards the opposition. I always found it stupid to try and sabotage your own team.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #56
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I beat legendary mode this weekend with my buddy. My god, what a tedious grind it is to beat that game with only 2 players on the hardest setting. It would be impossible to do it single player. Glad that I finally got it out of the way.
Not impossible but you have to approach each engagement in a different way than on the easier difficulties. I haven't really had the time to sit down and play much but I am about half way through mission six on my solo legendary play through. The only thing that I find annoying are those light cycles.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #57
miraisoup
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Finished it solo and co op on legendary. Solo had a few annoying choke points but overall not horrible, Reach was harder imo. I find it much more enjoyable online this time around, I have everyone muted unless i have an xbox live party. Much, much less D**** that way for me.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #58
Codes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Interesting comment about the difficulty of Reach. I recently went and replayed Reach on legendary, and I'm currently replaying Halo 3 on legendary, and my goodness, Halo 3 is a walk in the park comparatively. I'll be interested to go back to Halo 2 and compare.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #59
miraisoup
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yeah me and a buddy were playing reach the other day because we barely remember it and man compared to 4 it is HARD. From what I remember 2's Cairo Station was the biggest pain in the arse on legendary, took forever.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #60
Codes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ha! Halo 2. I remember I got suck on the gondolas for a very long time after an unfortunate respawn point started me with next to no ammo facing a squadron of jetpack Elites and seemingly every other foe armed with fuel rod cannons.

It was infuriating.

Tags
halo 4