Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Downtown Lunch Spots

So I like going to a new place for lunch everyday, I know there is already a thread on food trucks and alot of the restaurants are on urbanspoon/yelp, but what about food courts, +15 eateries or fast food (not chains like McDs/Subways, etc) joints?
secol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't work downtown but Chachi's Sandwich Bar is really becoming one of my favorite spots.

There's 4 of them downtown: Shell Center, Fifth Ave Place, TD Square & Centrium Place

http://www.chachis.ca/
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Marcellos is always good.
New Green Been opening in Calgary House early July (beside Local 522).
I always enjoy a Sunterra Salad
I always look at the Sunterra Pizza's. They look delicious but I'm always worried I'll still be hungry so I don't get one.
I do like ChaChi's
Submission in Watermark Tower
I need to wander through Centennial Place, I think they might have something interesting.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ranchlandsselling For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I find the Sunterra pizza's quite filling suprisingly. They are pretty tasty.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
Marcellos is always good.
New Green Been opening in Calgary House early July (beside Local 522).
I always enjoy a Sunterra Salad
I always look at the Sunterra Pizza's. They look delicious but I'm always worried I'll still be hungry so I don't get one.
I do like ChaChi's
Submission in Watermark Tower
I need to wander through Centennial Place, I think they might have something interesting.
Food court is nice, food options are:

Verona Pizza
Subway
Crepe Delicious
Koryo
A&W
Jimmy the Greek
Tim's
Taco Time
Umi Sushi Express
Jugo Juice
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I like Oriental Phoenix (Vietnamese) in Gulf Canada Square. They also have the Phoenix Express in Altius Centre (NW corner of 4th and 4th).
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
I don't work downtown but Chachi's Sandwich Bar is really becoming one of my favorite spots.

There's 4 of them downtown: Shell Center, Fifth Ave Place, TD Square & Centrium Place

http://www.chachis.ca/
Take the time to do Sub Mission's Italian Mission (Watermark tower). You won't eat Chachi, Quizno, or Subway again.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #8
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Green bean represents all that is wrong with the world. Vile crap is what they serve. You can taste the job hate in every stale sandwich they mass produce.
Good to know. It's a sandwich shop. I like a good sandwich so was hoping it'd be okay.

Where have you sampled them prior??
Old 06-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Take the time to do Sub Mission's Italian Mission (Watermark tower). You won't eat Chachi, Quizno, or Subway again.
Been there a few times but prefer Chachi's way more. I just can't get enough of the New York...

and there is no comparison whatsoever to Chachi's vs Subway/Quizno's
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Food court is nice, food options are:

Verona Pizza
Subway
Crepe Delicious
Koryo
A&W
Jimmy the Greek
Tim's
Taco Time
Umi Sushi Express
Jugo Juice
Wandered over - didn't really like.

Pizza seemed expensive per slice, may have been filling for two slices, but a lot of crust.

Crepes? It's lunch time

Koryo - nope

A&W - nope

Jimmy the Greek - debatable, but there was a line up

Tim's - only when desperate

Taco time - nope

Umi Sushi - maybe next time, was busy

Jugo Juice - want lunch, not a cold snack

Leaves subway... Oh well, I am rarely disappointed with subway. More bored... But I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #11
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goon View Post
I like Oriental Phoenix (Vietnamese) in Gulf Canada Square. They also have the Phoenix Express in Altius Centre (NW corner of 4th and 4th).
I would not recommend that place. I've been there 3 times and every time the food was pretty gross. One time I got Pho and the ''broth'' was basically blood and tasted like it. I'll never go back. The one by the Calgary Tower though is delicious.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #12
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just went to Boudrie Rouge today for lunch. The food was actually really good. Plus, they have great live entertainment there. Lol
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #13
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Good to know. It's a sandwich shop. I like a good sandwich so was hoping it'd be okay.

Where have you sampled them prior??
Practically every meal I eat is Green Bean because I survive off of all the catered food that appears in kitchens after meetings.

It's really not all that bad but then I don't pay for it. The variety is good when it's their catering because you get big platters with lots to choose from in sandwiches and fruits and vegetables and baked goods.

Sure it's generic food but it's mass produced for boardrooms and ain't as bad. They aren't supposed to be artisan sandwiches made just for you. It's ready to go food like you would get on a decent supermarket platter.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 06-28-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #14
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Brought in for lunch meetings and training sessions. So a lot. Boycotting them now. Awful sandwiches, butter/baloney and kraft single type of thing.

The coffee could bring you to tears. After drinking it you find yourself angry that you got tricked into ingesting it and you want to punch the owner in the face for such a blatant disregard for taste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Practically every meal I eat is Green Bean because I survive off of all the catered food that appears in kitchens after meetings.

It's really not all that bad but then I don't pay for it. The variety is good when it's their catering because you get big platters with lots to choose from in sandwiches and fruits and vegetables and baked goods.

Sure it's generic food but it's mass produced for boardrooms and ain't as bad. They aren't supposed to be artisan sandwiches made just for you. It's ready to go food like you would get on a decent supermarket platter.

So where do you buy it? Maybe the new location opening will be a half decent deli ?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #15
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
Been there a few times but prefer Chachi's way more. I just can't get enough of the New York...

and there is no comparison whatsoever to Chachi's vs Subway/Quizno's
Man the warm baked bread is so money, ah well, to each his own. I will give you the mac n cheese at Chachi is quite good, we hit that once every few weeks!
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #16
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
So where do you buy it? Maybe the new location opening will be a half decent deli ?
I always see a Green Bean just across the street from the south side of Bow Valley Square. I don't know if their catering comes out of there or what.

Maybe Fotze's company is cheaping out because at our last team coffee meeting there were some really great baked goods and sliced fruit (grapefruit, yum!). My lunch today was from one of their meeting platters and it was Vietnamese sub style french bread stuffed with slices of real cheese, tasty salami, a nice spicy-tomato sauce, lettuce. It tasted better than anything I've ever eaten at Subway. The other day I had some nice Rye with roast beef and some kind of interesting jelly.

I have never, ever seen butter, baloney, and kraft singles type sandwiches like Fotze is describing on a Green Bean platter at work.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 06-29-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #17
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

i hear great things about rita sandwiches and catering in the fina building.....got a soup from them and it actually tastes homemade and not canned/powdered with real chunks of veggies (tomato tortellini) and their sandwiches looked pretty big
secol is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secol For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #18
homestand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

That Schnitzel Place at 821 - 4 Avenue SW

http://www.that-schnitzel-place.com/
homestand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #19
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by secol View Post
i hear great things about rita sandwiches and catering in the fina building.....got a soup from them and it actually tastes homemade and not canned/powdered with real chunks of veggies (tomato tortellini) and their sandwiches looked pretty big
The club sandwich from there was always good.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote