Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2009, 02:16 PM   #321
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I can't say enough about Mustaine's insane talent, the riffs he has created and the solos he executes to perfection each and every night on tour. Rust in Peace was their pinnacle, I have been trying to learn that album since it was released, very difficult.

Then there's the new guy, Broderick. I've only heard the one new song Saturday night but he has been recreating Freidman's solos flawlessly. I have the "Blood in the Water" San Diego show in HD on my PVR and can't stop watching it. Hope it gets released on DVD soon.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:01 PM   #322
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
Wow thanks for the heads up. Are they using the last recordings from Piggy for the new CD like the last one? I thought that's what they were doing.
It's their last album, and yes, it contains the last of the stuff recorded by Piggy on his laptop before he passed away.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #323
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf3 View Post
I must say I'm not as up on my metal or my pirating (especially pre-release) as I used to be. I had this pop up on amazon the other day and I'm wondering if anyone here has heard it yet? Any good?

Haven't heard it yet, but do you know they're coming to Calgary?

This fall, alongside Slough Feg and DESTROYER 666.

Should be a good one!
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:40 PM   #324
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryzsky View Post
I can't say enough about Mustaine's insane talent, the riffs he has created and the solos he executes to perfection each and every night on tour. Rust in Peace was their pinnacle, I have been trying to learn that album since it was released, very difficult.

Then there's the new guy, Broderick. I've only heard the one new song Saturday night but he has been recreating Freidman's solos flawlessly. I have the "Blood in the Water" San Diego show in HD on my PVR and can't stop watching it. Hope it gets released on DVD soon.
Broderick is an insane guitarist. He is probably one of the best in the world right now, he has insane talent. I was at the show on Saturday as well, and everyone of the solo's sounded 100% like it on the album, perfect. Can't say enough about him.

Out of the 4 "major" thrash bands, Megadeth is easily the most talented. Metallica's and Anthrax's songs are super easy to play. Slayer is mediocre, but Megadeth's riffs are intense.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:43 PM   #325
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
Out of the 4 "major" thrash bands, Megadeth is easily the most talented. Metallica's and Anthrax's songs are super easy to play. Slayer is mediocre, but Megadeth's riffs are intense.
You actually just made my head explode. Slayer's awesome, and even the highest power in the land enjoys them.

ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:49 PM   #326
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post

Should be a good one!
wow Slough Feg is coming to Calgary? when is this?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:20 PM   #327
Lucifer
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yeah, I was at the show on Saturday also. Awesome show, first time seeing Slayer and I wasn't disappointed. Megadeth was good as usual, but I was surprised because it seemed like Megadeth had the shorter setlist, and they closed the show.

Machine Head was amazing, they managed to get the crowd going. Only other time I saw them was when they opened for Lamb Of God, back when I wasn't really into them so I never paid much attention. Suicide Silence was okay, I don't think I'd pay and see them on their own, though.
Lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:38 PM   #328
Sittler
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Damn, I'd almost fly to Calgary to see Slough Feg (provided of course they were the headliners). Lucky bastiges... Oh, their Myspace says October 2nd.
Sittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:19 PM   #329
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
wow Slough Feg is coming to Calgary? when is this?
October 2 - I believe the show will be at the Distillery. It's 18+ (thank Zeus), and it should be great. There is a metal conference that night as well.

Saturday brings on Destoyer 666 (one of my FAVORITE metal bands), at Mac Hall. Two venues are open that day, a main stage (I imagine the ballroom), and a second stage in the Den.

I really hope Midterms are not around that time, because they will suffer because of this festival.

Also, if you didn't know Atheist and Quo Vadis are playing a festival by Red Deer first week in September.
The Following User Says Thank You to Esoteric For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2009, 10:25 PM   #330
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
You actually just made my head explode. Slayer's awesome, and even the highest power in the land enjoys them.

I meant it in the way of playability, ie. me being able to play it.

Out of the 4 main thrash bands, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, and Metallica, Slayer is my favorite.

Oh, and Suicide Silence sucks badly. There "singer" is terrible, what is with all the bird "caw caw caw" sounds?? He would caw like a bird three times, then say some lyrics in death metal voice, and repeat. Awful.
The Following User Says Thank You to 3 Justin 3 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2009, 11:05 PM   #331
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
October 2 - I believe the show will be at the Distillery. It's 18+ (thank Zeus), and it should be great. There is a metal conference that night as well.

Saturday brings on Destoyer 666 (one of my FAVORITE metal bands), at Mac Hall. Two venues are open that day, a main stage (I imagine the ballroom), and a second stage in the Den.

I really hope Midterms are not around that time, because they will suffer because of this festival.

Also, if you didn't know Atheist and Quo Vadis are playing a festival by Red Deer first week in September.
i see the Distillery show on their myspace page, but nothing about where to buy tickets, and ticketmaster doesn't have anything. do you know when they go on sale?
Old 06-30-2009, 08:56 AM   #332
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Should be a good one!
damn you for telling me about this. its been a loooooong time since i've been out to see a live metal show. i'm not sure i can skip this - my willpower isn't that strong.
Phaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:34 AM   #333
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
i see the Distillery show on their myspace page, but nothing about where to buy tickets, and ticketmaster doesn't have anything. do you know when they go on sale?
They aren't on sale just yet, but will be by July 27.

http://www.noctisvalkyries.com/noctis3/tickets.html
Old 06-30-2009, 09:49 AM   #334
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
They aren't on sale just yet, but will be by July 27.

http://www.noctisvalkyries.com/noctis3/tickets.html
Hahahaha another noctis?
I should have known once I saw which bands were booked that Terese had something to do with this.
Phaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:43 PM   #335
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not a metal band but heavy and ferocious as hell, Grey Britain is the most brilliant album I have heard in the past couple years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n99vRJqKVmU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RbMRszWOiA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk3FSZE9Twk

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009...britain-review

Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:23 PM   #336
Canuck-Hater
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Down is coming to calgary August 8th. Im keeping my fingers crossed they wont cancel this time (Phil Anselmo's voice was messed up last time supposedly). Playing Mac hall, not the ballroom. Great venue for a band like Down.
Canuck-Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:39 PM   #337
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck-Hater View Post
Down is coming to calgary August 8th. Im keeping my fingers crossed they wont cancel this time (Phil Anselmo's voice was messed up last time supposedly). Playing Mac hall, not the ballroom. Great venue for a band like Down.
already bought my tickets for that show. i was crushed when they pulled out at the last minute and instead of Down i got an extra helping of Dio. only concert i've ever walked out on
Old 07-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #338
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Megadeth has their new song available for download.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/headcrusher/

I didn't like United Abominations very much, but really like this song so far. Sounds like they're going back to their thrash roots more.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:42 AM   #339
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not sure if it was posted in the thread yet, but "Violator" is an awesome Thrash band.

They are from Brazil and only have 1 record, but as thrash goes, this album is 100% thrash. One of the best albums to be put out in a while I think.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:03 AM   #340
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

I enjoy Violater - they aren't anything groundbreaking, but play thrash well. My problem is they appear directly after Vio-Lence on my iPod, and I have to stop and listen to Eternal Nightmare in full everytime I see that name. Which is what I shall do now