Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2016, 10:12 AM   #621
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Oh absolutely, I've embraced the fact that there's no need for me to compete or compare to others. I suppose a better reason for my distaste of it is because I'm tempted to use that resource which breaks my own ideal for the game.
Curious question, does Pokevision really make that big of a difference in enjoyment?

You still have to find it and IMO difficulty wise, it's still about as difficult as Geocaching. Personally, I'd only use it if something rare is nearby and I want it, or if I want to do research on where a nest is. I mean sure, if you have it open and run back and forth like a guy with a shopping list and no understanding of where anything is in a store... I could see that being detrimental to your enjoyment... personally I will use it for shadows and "the one that got away" pokemon only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
There probably wouldn't be a need for it if the 3 steps bug would get fixed.
I've read it is not a bug. 3 step was disabled to aid server stability.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:46 AM   #622
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There's another app called Pokedetector which will send phone notifications when pokemon are near by so you don't have to walk around with your phone out (especially usefully if you have a smart watch). It's kind of neat if you want something low-powered running the background as you're going about your day. App developers recommend using a seperate account incase it goes against the TOS. It'll notify of the random spawns (common for all players), but not lures and incenses. Also not sure if it'll help with egg hatching.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...detector&hl=en
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:44 AM   #623
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Curious question, does Pokevision really make that big of a difference in enjoyment?

You still have to find it and IMO difficulty wise, it's still about as difficult as Geocaching. Personally, I'd only use it if something rare is nearby and I want it, or if I want to do research on where a nest is. I mean sure, if you have it open and run back and forth like a guy with a shopping list and no understanding of where anything is in a store... I could see that being detrimental to your enjoyment... personally I will use it for shadows and "the one that got away" pokemon only.
Is it a big thing? No. As some people have both here and elsewhere on the Internet have said, enjoyment of any game is always going to be entirely dependent on your mentality towards how you'd want to play it.
If I want to casually complete the game on my own pace it doesn't affect me directly. I thought it might be an opinion worth sharing and discussing.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:03 PM   #624
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was worried about not being able to use the gyms until a high level but at level 10 I have a 605 vapeoreon which does surprisingly well. Collected some coins every day for 3 days now.

I'm glad I'm not too punished for being somewhere between casual and hardcore!

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:28 PM   #625
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Is it a big thing? No. As some people have both here and elsewhere on the Internet have said, enjoyment of any game is always going to be entirely dependent on your mentality towards how you'd want to play it.
If I want to casually complete the game on my own pace it doesn't affect me directly. I thought it might be an opinion worth sharing and discussing.
Ah fair enough. I was just counter curious . For instance, I don't always go to a certain place. If I see a shadow of something I have not run into before and I expect I won't be coming back for an extended period of time, I think having the ability to pokevision and engage the pokemon is nice. But yes, I agree with you. Enjoyment is what you make of it.

I am also guilty of exploiting missingno in the good old days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
I was worried about not being able to use the gyms until a high level but at level 10 I have a 605 vapeoreon which does surprisingly well. Collected some coins every day for 3 days now.

I'm glad I'm not too punished for being somewhere between casual and hardcore!
I've taken so many gyms... I've forgotten to hit the darn shield for the coins all the time other than yesterday. IMO it should be automatic. Blah.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:33 PM   #626
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
I was worried about not being able to use the gyms until a high level but at level 10 I have a 605 vapeoreon which does surprisingly well.
People are saying Vaporeon is way OP.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:22 PM   #627
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is Is it normal that at level 18 I am yet to get a 10km egg? I'm sick of incubating 2km turds and most of my 5km eggs have been turds too.

I wanted to park one of my Pokemon in a friendly gym to defend, but that icon on the bottom left when you enter the gym doesn't appear for me anymore??
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #628
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside View Post
Is Is it normal that at level 18 I am yet to get a 10km egg? I'm sick of incubating 2km turds and most of my 5km eggs have been turds too.

I wanted to park one of my Pokemon in a friendly gym to defend, but that icon on the bottom left when you enter the gym doesn't appear for me anymore??
I didn't get one until 15 or so. Now I'm 20 and I've had 3 or 4.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:29 PM   #629
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside View Post

I know a few friends of mine also haven't gotten any yet. I am level 17 and I've had 6 10k eggs.

As for the gym, you need to train at a friendly gym (fight) to increase it's prestige level in order to open up more spots for Pokemon to defend it.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:33 PM   #630
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Level 19 no 10k eggs. My son Level 18 has had 4.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:49 PM   #631
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Level 21 here, only one 10km egg for me.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:55 PM   #632
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

My first 2/4 eggs were 10k, none since
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:08 PM   #633
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Level 18, 0 10km eggs.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:10 PM   #634
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
My wife level 9 and has 4 10km eggs.

Me level 9 0 10km eggs

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:13 PM   #635
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm level 15 and I think I've had 4 10 km eggs. Only two of them were decent though (a Snorlax and Scyther). Pretty sure the other two were stuff I had already caught and nothing special.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:15 PM   #636
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went out for my walk today, and discovered that I have a backpack that can be filled up (and realized I had 70 Revives I had no use for) and that the mapping feature seems to have removed foot/bike paths, as all the paths around me that I usually walk on have disappeared.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:56 PM   #637
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

So unless you have a pokemon with CP around the same as the one at a gym, you basically have no shot right? I just tried a rival gym and friendly gym and both times I got crushed (not even really sure I was fighting correctly - I lost too fast!) If that's the case, its too bad because I feel like I'm so far behind I would never catch up (just leveled up to level 9 today).
Old 07-26-2016, 02:58 PM   #638
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
So unless you have a pokemon with CP around the same as the one at a gym, you basically have no shot right? I just tried a rival gym and friendly gym and both times I got crushed (not even really sure I was fighting correctly - I lost too fast!) If that's the case, its too bad because I feel like I'm so far behind I would never catch up (just leveled up to level 9 today).
I managed to beat a higher level gym with 3 pokemons downtown above 1000 CP, with my highest pokemon at 550 CP (sure had to use 5-6 pokemon, but beat it). Just have to dodge properly and note the weaknesses.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:01 PM   #639
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Went out for my walk today, and discovered that I have a backpack that can be filled up (and realized I had 70 Revives I had no use for) and that the mapping feature seems to have removed foot/bike paths, as all the paths around me that I usually walk on have disappeared.
Noticed that as well at Princes Island Park, no paths all of a sudden today. I think I did get a Google Maps update, but not sure that would affect that
Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:24 PM   #640
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

EDIT: Solution for people who aren't anywhere near the action?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/0...on-go-for-you/

Quote:
Now, a new wave of PC-based Pokémon Go "bots" take the hacking a step further, spoofing locations and automating actions to essentially play the game for you while you sit in the comfort of your own home.

There are a number of competing bots out there, from the open source Necrobot to the pre-compiled Pokébuddy to MyGoBot, which recently started charging $4.99 for its automation tool following a three-hour free trial. All of them work on the same basic principles, sending artificial data to the Pokémon Go servers to simulate an extremely efficient, entirely tireless player.

The user first provides a latitude and longitude as a starting point (the center of any major city is a good place to start) and some Pokémon Go account credentials to authenticate with the servers. The bot then finds any nearby Pokémon (using those previously discussed mapping functions) and simulates a "walk" to the nearest one by sending spoofed GPS coordinates to the server at appropriate intervals. When the bot gets close enough to a Pokémon, it can use a simple API call to quickly catch it before moving on to the next target.