Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #1001
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Not to mention, hasn't Cersei said a couple of times that if she can't use Jaime as a champion, she'll use the Mountain? Which makes sense that she'd know about him, he being one of the Lannister bannermen and all. Or is her threatening to use him book only stuff?
Who announces their champion first, I don't remember. I presume Cersei does which is why there's the shock value when Tyrion does?
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:49 AM   #1002
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
Who announces their champion first, I don't remember. I presume Cersei does which is why there's the shock value when Tyrion does?
Cersei announces hers first, and when Bronn finally turns up and turns Tyrion down (Bronn has a very good idea of his own skills, and Cersei buys him off) Tyrion is feeling pretty screwed. Oberyn shows up, and offers, as he sees it to be the only chance at revenge that he's going to get, seeing as he knows who did it, and he's getting the runaround when he just wanted confirmation.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2014, 01:42 PM   #1003
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yea, I guess there is enough info out there to guess, especially if you are reading through the show wiki (there is one right?) and looking at episode titles.

That last episode was pretty fun besides the Theon part which I don't remember happening...Can't wait for Tyrion/Tywin though I presume thats probably going to be the finale or close to it.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #1004
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah...I actually don't think it's much of a stretch that many TV viewers are guessing a Oberyn v Mountain match. It's a lot more obvious in the show than it was in the books. Watching with some TV only viewers last night, one of them was correctly able to predict who would fight.

Plus...I'm sure many people have seen "The Viper and the Mountain" episode title.

Great episode though. The "Yara" trying to rescue Theon thing was new to the show as far as I can remember.

Loving Jaime and Tyrion's relationship right now. Cannot wait until Tyrion breaks his heart in the dungeons when he falsely confesses to killing Joffrey. That was such an awesome scene in the book. Tyrion simply couldn't forgive him for his part he played in the whole Tysha situation many years ago.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #1005
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Oh man, I forgot about that part. I got chills reading it. Getting chills now thinking about it. Going to be great.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #1006
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Shae didn't mock Tyrion in the trial in the show last night - I thought she was going to be calling him "Giant of Lannister" like she did in the books. Though both were cruel, the books made the trial even more humiliating.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #1007
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah I wonder if it would have been over the top on TV, going too far might have robbed the emotion of it and made it funny rather than traumatic, or less believable.

Though not sure if she did enough to make him killing her "emotionally justified" to the TV viewers.

Really looking forward to the rest of the season!
Old 05-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #1008
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thing is, they haven't referred to the whole Tysha thing very much in the show and the last time they did, it was what, season 2? This may not hit home for normal show watchers and it was particularly powerful reading the books, especially following on the heels of Shae's betrayal, with Tyrion having explicitly said that being with her was the first thing that made him feel okay about Tysha, that he could get past it. I really just feel like it'll fall flat. Of course, given that it's likely to happen in the same episode as Shae and Tywin meeting their end it'll be overshadowed anyway.

That said, if done well, "Only Cat" remains the moment of this season I'm looking forward most to given how I feel it'll play on-screen.

EDIT: I don't think killing her was emotionally justified in the books, particularly by strangulation, that's a pretty personal, brutal way to kill a person. That said, I'm glad; need to remind everyone that Tyrion, while more good than bad, is still not some shining light of virtue.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:49 PM   #1009
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

They will probably have to do something to remind viewers of it though. Otherwise is there enough so far to justify him killing Tywin and Shae and betraying Jamie? That's the thing that really pushes it all home and sets off the series of events isn't it?
Old 05-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #1010
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well they do have a couple of episodes to do it in. 7 is next week, then you've got 8 which should contain the duel itself, and the reveal on Tysha either happens in that episode or in EP9, which if consistent with the pattern so far would be the one where Tywin dies, no? So maybe they bring it up as a reaction scene with Shae or something, or a bit where Jaime comes in to shout at him for throwing his life away. I agree they have to do something there.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:12 PM   #1011
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
Well they do have a couple of episodes to do it in. 7 is next week, then you've got 8 which should contain the duel itself, and the reveal on Tysha either happens in that episode or in EP9, which if consistent with the pattern so far would be the one where Tywin dies, no? So maybe they bring it up as a reaction scene with Shae or something, or a bit where Jaime comes in to shout at him for throwing his life away. I agree they have to do something there.
Spoiler!

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:14 PM   #1012
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

That episode was epic, the ending gave me goosebumps. And then Rains of Castamere for the ending credits. Just perfect.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:53 AM   #1013
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, just watched it yesterday night. As I said in the TV thread it was such a tight episode.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:32 AM   #1014
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
That last episode was pretty fun besides the Theon part which I don't remember happening...
I think they needed that in the show to truly show how broken Theon is. In the books you get that great build up not knowing who Reek is (nor does he know who he was), which obviously doesn't work when you can see the character. I didn't like the scene either but I can see why it was necessary.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanni For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #1015
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

HBO released some details about the upcoming episodes, put in spoilers for I don't know what reason just in case/for size. Interestingly enough they left out Mockingbird.. just the final three episodes. However it appears our speculation is very close.

Spoiler!
Old 05-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #1016
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sometimes the utter stupidity coming from the other thread is hard to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
It'd be cool if Tywin chose The Mountain as his champion, then Tyrion chose Tywin, and we get to see Tywin sliced in half.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ark2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2014, 11:16 AM   #1017
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Jon Snow and the Night’s Watch face a big challenge.
Haha, that's an understatement.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:47 PM   #1018
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tyrion sees the truth about his situation.
It's crossbow time!
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #1019
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

A buddy of mine is playing Ramsey in the show... It's effin' weird to watch him bangin' hotties and annihilating dozens of iron-born in just his skivvies. The boy is about Johnny Gaudreau's size!
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #1020
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
A buddy of mine is playing Ramsey in the show... It's effin' weird to watch him bangin' hotties and annihilating dozens of iron-born in just his skivvies. The boy is about Johnny Gaudreau's size!

Wait.. watching him cut off another mans penis isn't classified under 'weird'?

Sweet jesus.

Tags
books , it is known , spoilers , winter is coming