Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
Deelow
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Problem with Bell receiver

I know there are some Bell experts on the site (hi Ken).
So I just moved into a new house. Dish is already mounted from the previous tennants, friends of mine, they had an HD 6242 that worked fine. I'm in the process of purchasing a 6100 but in the meantime am just using an old SD 4100. I've been having all sorts of problems with it. Channels seem to come and go. eg. one day TSN will work fine, the next it will give me "Error #2: Your Satellite Signal is temporarily unavailable". I will try un screwing the cable and unplugging then TSN will be back but Sportsnet or some other channels will be gone when I boot back up.

I have a feeling this has something to do with not being able to lock into a transponder. Even though the system is telling me I'm locked in, each time I return to the Point Dish screen it is on a different transponder than the one I chose. (eg I lock it on 25, when I go back in it is on 30 and not locked with a weaker signal) Any ideas why?

Also when that error #2 comes up it gives me this info (using tsn)
Channel: 400
Satellite: 91
Transponder: 24

Why transponder 24? I'm locking to 25, the sytem is telling me 30. Where is the 24 coming from?

Hopefully one of you guys can help me figure this out. I know the dish is pointed fine. I've seen ot work with the 6242.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Each transponder carries a few channels. When you go into the dish point signal, it shows the transponder of the channel you were last watching.

It sounds to me that you should try tweaking your dish to get better signal strength. Try for 80% on all transponders.

If the signal strength is fine try doing a check switch. If that doesn't help, do a check switch with the cable disconnected and than do it again with the cable.

Last edited by Vulcan; 10-03-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #3
Deelow
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can you explain to me what the switch does?
I ran a check switch and it said no switch detected. What does that mean? I thought the switch might be the powered box that is needed for the dual tuner HD box. Is it needed for the 4100?

Last edited by Deelow; 10-03-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Deelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelow View Post
Can you explain to me what the switch does?
I ran a check switch and it said no switch detected. What does that mean? I thought the switch might be the powered box that is needed for the dual tuner HD box. Is it needed for the 4100?
You'll have to physically check to see what kind of switch you have. The powered switch should be named SW44 and an unpowered switch should be a SW21. Make sure the powered switch is plugged in. If you have a switch try doing the check switch without the RG6 cable plugged in. This will reset the sensor on the 4100. Than do another check switch with the cable plugged back in.

Question? What is your lowest signal strength. Check all transponders.

The switch combines the signals from Bell's two satellites. They have satellites at 91 and 82 degrees. The one at 82 is used for HD and a few specialty channels so you don't really need it for the SD 4100 box.

Last edited by Vulcan; 10-03-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've heard that some SD receivers have trouble working with the SW44 when they are the only receiver. In that case you can disconnect the SW44, bring it in the house to keep it dry until you get your 6100. Take the line from the 91 satellite and connect that directly to your 4100. The LNB (that's the horn facing towards the satellite should be named 91 or 82 but if not IIRC the 91 LNB (the one you want) should be on your left when looking from behind your dish.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Can you confirm the switch is getting power? There should be a power adapter inside somewhere, and then a coax leading from it to the switch.

And yes, TSN 400 "lives" on transponder 24.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote