Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #21
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I got it from Memory Express and it's still within the 15 days I think.

I changed the fan parameters so the fan cranks up higher and the temp is holding at 66 degrees, and it's not rebooting so far.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #22
photon

Exp:

Yeah if I keep the temp below 70, it seems to be ok, but even at stock speeds running furmark I have to crank the fan to 70 percent, which is 10% it's normal max, to keep it at 69. Drop the fan a little bit and let the temperature go up to 70, it reboots my system with 2 minutes.

I wish I would have grabbed that Seasonic PS I wanted at the last NCIX sale, it was like 50% off, then I'd know it wasn't the PS anyway.

I guess I'll exchange it and see what happens.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #23
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would, if you don't have A/C in your house come summer you won't be able to keep it under 70 under load.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:34 PM   #24
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah if I keep the temp below 70, it seems to be ok, but even at stock speeds running furmark I have to crank the fan to 70 percent, which is 10% it's normal max, to keep it at 69. Drop the fan a little bit and let the temperature go up to 70, it reboots my system with 2 minutes.

I wish I would have grabbed that Seasonic PS I wanted at the last NCIX sale, it was like 50% off, then I'd know it wasn't the PS anyway.

I guess I'll exchange it and see what happens.
I'm pretty sure it's not the Corsair 650W unless it is damaged somehow. What brand is your GTX 460?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:15 PM   #25
photon

Exp:

Yeah, I'm more prone to think my old PS is somewhat faulty than a brand new video card, but could be either.

It's the Gigabyte 1GB one. http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...29975(ME).aspx Pricematched down to $224
Old 09-09-2010, 10:12 PM   #26
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

If memory express has a good return policy you could try a new power supply, or if you have (or have access to) a multimeter test the 12v rail idle and under load and see if you get consistent voltage. I'm just inclined to think the card because I had the exact same issue, although on a different card. Could you talk them into testing the card for free since it's new? Even if you can't it might be worth the $20 or $30 to have them do it rather than buying a new psu and then having to return it because that's not the issue.

Unless you just need an excuse to buy a new power supply.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #27
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

My 8800GT is still running fine on my Desktop - the best investment I made with regards to hardware on my PC. But it certainly isn't close to top of the line anymore - I saw some performance issue with Starcraft, so I'll likely have to upgrade the entire rig soon anyways.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:48 PM   #28
photon

Exp:

Yeah Hanni I'd do exactly that except they don't carry the PS I want, I'd have to order that in from out of town.

But getting them to test it is a good idea, seeing as it's completely reproducible, at least on my system.

Lol my 8800GT has been a great card, even letting me game on my 1920x1200 monitor, in native resolution in TF2 no less.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:40 AM   #29
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Nice, I got one GTX 460 with the intention of putting in another at some point, and pretty happy with it so far. Got the Gigabyte one with the massive heat sink so it's pretty much silent.
How much louder is the eVGA version? The lifetime warranty eVGA offers is enticing to me. Gigabyte doesn't have such a thing, do they?

I think I will go with the prevailing advice in this thread and grab one of these cards! I've been tempted for a while... I'm still limping along with my 7950 GTX which I put in my newer i7 @ 2.66Ghz in order to save some money at the time because there were no games right at that moment that I wanted to play.

Like you Photon, I'm barely resisting a SSD...

With SC2 (which I am about to finally start playing) and Civ5, I can't resist the video card upgrade any longer
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:42 AM   #30
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
How much louder is the eVGA version? The lifetime warranty eVGA offers is enticing to me. Gigabyte doesn't have such a thing, do they?

I think I will go with the prevailing advice in this thread and grab one of these cards! I've been tempted for a while... I'm still limping along with my 7950 GTX which I put in my newer i7 @ 2.66Ghz in order to save some money at the time because there were no games right at that moment that I wanted to play.

Like you Photon, I'm barely resisting a SSD...

With SC2 (which I am about to finally start playing) and Civ5, I can't resist the video card upgrade any longer
EVGA has multiple versions of this card so buyer beware. Ones marked TR on the end of the product code are not lifetime warranty. They are only 2 year warranty. Ones that end in AR are lifetime warranty. EVGA also has ones called EE which is external exhaust. Those are based on the reference models which exhaust most of the hot air out the back of the card. Other models usually have an axial fan in the middle and are cheaper non-reference design that will blow some hot air back into your case.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #31
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks Hack&Lube...

Memory Express has the 460 EE - AR @ 675 Mhz for $270. They also have the Gigabyte version, at 715 Mhz for $250.

Do you think I should save the $20 and get the Gigabyte one?

I know Photon generally makes well researched and good purchases, so I probably cannot go too wrong.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #32
photon

Exp:

Or save more and pricematch like I did:

http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/22...GV_N460OC_1GI/

$225 vs $270 made up my mind for me. You can get Memory Expresses' extended exchange warranty for the difference.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #33
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, I haven't looked at SSD's in a while. They are starting to get into a useful size and good price range. My HD is the only bottleneck in my system according to that Windows Experience Index. Everthing is over 7.5 expect my HD which is at 5.9.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #34
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Or save more and pricematch like I did:

http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/22...GV_N460OC_1GI/

$225 vs $270 made up my mind for me. You can get Memory Expresses' extended exchange warranty for the difference.
MemEX's extended warranty only goes up to 4 years for $44.99 but I suppose many people don't keep their cards longer than that. But I still prefer lifetime warranties because when/if your card finally dies and you send it in, there's a good chance you will receive an upgrade.

I know someone who send in a 6600 AGP from like 2003 and when it died he recieved an 8800GT. I sent in my own 8800GT that died to XFX and got back a 9800GTX (although it took like 3 months!)
Old 09-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #35
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Wow, I haven't looked at SSD's in a while. They are starting to get into a useful size and good price range. My HD is the only bottleneck in my system according to that Windows Experience Index. Everthing is over 7.5 expect my HD which is at 5.9.
The Kingston 128GB SSD is on for $210 at Memory EXpress. From what I've read, it's not the best by any means but any SSD is great in my book.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX29747(ME).aspx?cc=1

I returned an old 8600GTS with a frozen fan, to EVGA hoping to get a more modern card. Apparently they have thousands in stock, so guess what I got back. 20 years from now, I'd probably still get back an 8600GTS.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #36
photon

Exp:

Even the top of the line Vertex 2 120GB I've seen for not much more than $250..

I'm tempted to get a 60GB one for now and run that, and then put that in my laptop when the bigger drives come out.

Anyway for the video card, I went ahead and exchanged it, and I still don't know the answer to the problems lol.. This card seems to have a much better chip in it, the other one was at 1.015 volts stock, this one is at 0.950 volts.. and under the same furmark stress test as before I can't even get it up to 70 degrees, it tops out at 65 degrees, and that with the fan turning at 50% speed (40% is the default).. so if it was a power draw thing, I can't tell because I can't get this card to draw as much power as the other one.

However my in game experience is MUCH different, with the other card I was getting stuttering and in Mafia II very choppy frame rates. With this card I get none of that, plus it runs cooler and with less power so I'll probably say the other card was defective somehow.

Much happier.

EDIT: Oh and I have a 550W PS, maybe not enough for SLI but enough for one of these cards. I also found out that while MemEx doesn't have the PS I wanted, one of the ones they do have is just a rebranded Seasonic X-750. I didn't get one now as I don't need it, but is a good price on a great power supply. http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...(ME).aspx?cc=1
Old 09-11-2010, 02:52 PM   #37
photon

Exp:

Getting an overclock from 715MHz to 830MHz (1430 to 1660MHz on the shader) that seems stable, and that's without touching the voltage. I could probably do more if I increased the voltage, but I don't want too much heat.

Memory from 1800 to 2100MHz too.

And still only 68 degrees and 58% fan speed, which is still quite quiet.

Very happy with this card
Old 09-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #38
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
However my in game experience is MUCH different, with the other card I was getting stuttering and in Mafia II very choppy frame rates. With this card I get none of that, plus it runs cooler and with less power so I'll probably say the other card was defective somehow.
Now I'm sure it was a faulty card, I completely forgot until you said this but this was another issue I had with my faulty card, symptoms have all been the same. I was getting terrible stutter in Mass Effect and TF2.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:15 AM   #39
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Speaking of SSD's ...

Today, Newegg has the OCZ Vertex2 120 GB 2.5" on sale for $255.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...C-C8junctionCA

You can price match that at NCIX which also has a $30 MIR, for a total price of only $225, plus $8 express shipping from NCIX.
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=53309&...Z%20Technology

Very tempted now ... it is probably only a matter of hours until I cave....
The Following User Says Thank You to Draug For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #40
photon

Exp:

Jeez...

EDIT: Will they price match like that with a MIR existing?