Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-24-2019, 10:56 AM   #21
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Probably could add Wayne Simmonds, who had just been downright awful in Nashville.
Really, Stone, Hayes and Simmonds were the big CP targets, along with some goalies. Some of the others were mentioned only after we heard Treliving was interested.

I wanted Stone but was afraid of his salary demands. I still think it's a lot over that term. I am pretty happy they didn't pay for Simmonds and Hayes as rentals. If they really want Hayes on a decent contract, I'm interested in that.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:02 PM   #22
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^I am not sure that Vegas is so well off in the long run with what they have done. They put together an older second(maybe first line) that has very long contracts at the expense of giving up cap flexibility and really are stuck with a "goon" filled 4th line(Bellemare and Reeves). They also have a lot to consider in the off season and i don't think our GM would swap rosters with Vegas.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 04-24-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:03 PM   #23
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
yeah, tough to assess 7 points in 4 games.
Actually yes it is. Lots of players can score a bunch in a short sample but not pan out as well in a longer term. We shall see, won’t we.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:04 PM   #24
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

wrong thread
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:04 PM   #25
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I also think Kulak and the Flames had a bit of a falling out. All the right things were said, but there was something there.

I really think that Tre just did a favour for Kulak. On paper he was down the depth chart and wasn't likely to get a big break in Calgary.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:06 PM   #26
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Actually yes it is. Lots of players can score a bunch in a short sample but not pan out as well in a longer term. We shall see, won’t we.
Come on, they swept Tampa and Duchene was a big part of it. He was brought in for the playoffs, are you going to say if he doesn't win the Conn Smythe he doesn't pan out?
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:11 PM   #27
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Come on, they swept Tampa and Duchene was a big part of it. He was brought in for the playoffs, are you going to say if he doesn't win the Conn Smythe he doesn't pan out?
Of course not. But by the same token, what if they are swept in the next round and he has nothing. Is the price then worth it, when he jumps to a new team? It’s not like he has a stellar record elsewhere. So far it looks great. But I like a bit longer of a look before I declare it a huge win.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:13 PM   #28
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
^I am not sure that Vegas is so well off in the long run with what they have done. They put together an older second(maybe first line) that has very long contracts at the expense of giving up cap flexibility and really are stuck with a "goon" filled 4th line(Bellemare and Reeves). They also have a lot to consider in the off season and i don't think our GM would swap rosters with Vegas.
Vegas has 17 guys signed at 82.5 mil cap hit already

Rfa

Subban
Karlsson
Nosek
Gusev

Ufa

Bellemare
Piri
Carpenter
Engelland

They are in serious trouble. Even if they dump Clarkson's contract in off season to create space to resign guys someone has to go to get it done.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:34 PM   #29
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
The Duchene trade had a conditional first based on if he re-signs so calling him a rental and costing them 2 firsts is inaccurate.
The Jets didn't trade a 2nd in the Hayes deal either, but whatever it takes to make the deals sound worse than they are I guess.

Par for the course.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:35 PM   #30
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I really think that Tre just did a favour for Kulak. On paper he was down the depth chart and wasn't likely to get a big break in Calgary.
Yeah, for a young guy like him, he was in a tough spot. Not even counting a vet like Stone or Hamonic, there were now young guys like Valimaki, Andersson, Kylington and Hanifin all ahead of him. He was in 9th place.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:36 PM   #31
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe3 View Post
Kulak was given an opportunity to play elsewhere, it was more for the player's career than for the organization's selfishness.
Still poor asset management and bad GM work in undervaluing Kulak. Sentimental stuff aside

Kulak > Fantenberg

Kulak + 4th >>>>>> Fantenberg and the crap we got for Kulak

Would have been better off just keeping Kulak rather than dumping him for nothing, then trying to replace him, then getting a lesser player in as a replacement for a draft pick.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 12:40 PM   #32
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, for a young guy like him, he was in a tough spot. Not even counting a vet like Stone or Hamonic, there were now young guys like Valimaki, Andersson, Kylington and Hanifin all ahead of him. He was in 9th place.
It’s not like he walked into a higher depth chart spot on the Habs. He started in the AHL and worked his way up with quality play.

He started the year in 9th place there too really
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:40 PM   #33
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Jets didn't trade a 2nd in the Hayes deal either, but whatever it takes to make the deals sound worse than they are I guess.

Par for the course.
You think it was a good trade with a fourth instead of a second (along with the first)? Jets fans think the Stastny trade didn't pan out, and they made it to the WCF.

If you make a big deadline deal trade for a rental, you'd better go far, whether that guy put up points or not.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:45 PM   #34
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You think it was a good trade with a fourth instead of a second (along with the first)? Jets fans think the Stastny trade didn't pan out, and they made it to the WCF.

If you make a big deadline deal trade for a rental, you'd better go far, whether that guy put up points or not.
They didn't trade a 4th either as the condition wasn't met.

This kind of dishonesty is why you ended up on my ignore list and I'm glad to see with this thread that it was the right decision.

Have a nice day.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:47 PM   #35
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They didn't trade a 4th either as the condition wasn't met.

This kind of dishonesty is why you ended up on my ignore list and I'm glad to see with this thread that it was the right decision.

Have a nice day.
Dishonesty? If I make a mistake I make a mistake. I was just reprinting the trade from a trade deadline site and made a mistake. Bottom line, the Jets have nothing to show for their trade.

If I ignore someone I don't respond to their posts. It's kind of a dick move.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 01:34 PM   #36
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Still poor asset management and bad GM work in undervaluing Kulak. Sentimental stuff aside

Kulak > Fantenberg

Kulak + 4th >>>>>> Fantenberg and the crap we got for Kulak

Would have been better off just keeping Kulak rather than dumping him for nothing, then trying to replace him, then getting a lesser player in as a replacement for a draft pick.
Agree with this 100%.

I think it is great that Kulak was able to establish himself in the NHL this year rather than toil away in the AHL as a depth defender, BUT in terms of asset management we should have either held on to him or included conditions into the trade (e.g. if Kulak plays 20+ games in the NHL, Flames receive a 4th round pick).

On a side note, I wouldn't be shocked if Fantenberg is brought back next year if some of our bodies move out.
Funkhouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:00 PM   #37
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moral of the story; Some trades work and some don't.
Not really any meaningful conclusions that can be drawn overall.

From the Flames perspective it made sense to play the guys we had. They earned that from the season's performance and BT likes to build in the off season.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 02:13 PM   #38
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Moral of the story; Some trades work and some don't.
Not really any meaningful conclusions that can be drawn overall.

From the Flames perspective it made sense to play the guys we had. They earned that from the season's performance and BT likes to build in the off season.
Yeah, and that was kind of the aim of the OP - to see what worked and what didn't, mainly in respect of the players CP was targeting. I didn't go back to see what people thought of those deals at the time, but I'm pretty sure everyone thought Columbus was nuts, given their position and the complete overhaul they made. Most people thought they were going to be sellers.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:16 PM   #39
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This seems like as good a thread as any to note the comment of another poster re the passion displayed by the SJ players last night: guys like Hertl, Couture, LeBanc and others. Incredible effort, heart - you could see afterwards how totally drained they were - they left it all on the ice in the third and OT.

Wish we had more players who play like that.

Edit: Copied this post in Bingo's new roster management thread - better noted there.

Last edited by Manhattanboy; 04-24-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:58 PM   #40
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Treliving said he had one deal line up for a player with a 2nd but the other team wanted a 2019 pick. They didnt have it so lost the trade. I think that may actually have been the Marcus Johansson deal.

Too bad, I think he would have flourished here in Jankos slot. And the COL series would look very different .

Of all the deadline deals the 2 biggest successes are Duchene and Stone. Close 3rd to Zuccharello.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote