Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Memory Express Sale

Some pretty great deals...

Patriot Inferno 120 GB SSD $200, $170 after $30 mail-in rebate.

Seagate 1 TB Barracuda SATA HDD $45

HIS Radeon 5770 1 GB $130

http://www.memoryexpress.com/

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nehkara For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Great price on that SSD!
Old 10-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Way down at the bottom of the page- 6' HDMI cable for $5.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn, I missed out on the SSD. They're sold out. I should have checked my e-mail earlier but a few days ago they said they were giving free hotdogs, etc and I though big deal.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:55 AM   #5
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is there any reason not to go and pick up 12GB of this ram? Patriot Viper2 Sector 7, 3x2GB DDR3 1600 ... for $75 after the sale and a $25 MIR.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...29711(ME).aspx

I havent kept up that much in the past year or so ... I cant find much negative online.

Right now, Im running 6GB of 1066 ... My older Gigabyte EX58-UD5 should work with the 1600 Patriot since the 1GB version is listed as supported. Seems like I cant go too wrong by grabbing this memory. I just wonder why they are trying so hard to get rid of it???
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I bought a $60 1TB drive a few months ago and it was the cheapest drive I've ever puthased. I can't get over how the prices drop on those things.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:09 AM   #7
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I bought a $60 1TB drive a few months ago and it was the cheapest drive I've ever puthased. I can't get over how the prices drop on those things.
I remember dropping $400 on a 4GB drive from London Drugs back in the day.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
Is there any reason not to go and pick up 12GB of this ram? Patriot Viper2 Sector 7, 3x2GB DDR3 1600 ... for $75 after the sale and a $25 MIR.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...29711(ME).aspx
Well, I bought it. I won't have time to install till late tonight.

Before it's opened, any experts out there have good reason why I should buy a different brand or speed?
Old 10-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not an expert but I haven't heard anyone dissing Patriot memory. The speed is what most gamers seem to be happy with.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2010, 01:04 AM   #10
burning_acid1
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Any external hard drives on sale?
burning_acid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:13 AM   #11
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

They had a few enclosures for sale. I picked up a USB 3.0 NexStar Hard Drive Dock for $27.99. Very nice to have around if you ever need to switch hard drives.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #12
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, I installed the RAM and it works fine. I havent tried overclocking it at all.

But, I am very suprised and disapointed how little difference going from 6GB to 12GB made in terms of performance. Even though all the benchmarks are quite a bit better, I can hardly distinguish a performance enhancement during usage.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #13
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Well, I installed the RAM and it works fine. I havent tried overclocking it at all.

But, I am very suprised and disapointed how little difference going from 6GB to 12GB made in terms of performance. Even though all the benchmarks are quite a bit better, I can hardly distinguish a performance enhancement during usage.
Wasn't it after about 3.5 Gigs / Ram, it's almost negligible to the human eye? Or was that Processor speed?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #14
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:

What are you even running that requires 6-12GB of ram? Unless you are running several virtualizations of windows at a time or doing a massive amount of video processing, etc. I'm guessing you have about 8GB of unused ram at any time.

The real performance gains are in faster CPU and SSD versus ram.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #15
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, I have the SSD on the desk ready to install, but dont have the time to rebuild right now. The processor is only an i7 920 ...

Probably the most memory intensive thing I do is that sometimes 3 or 4 VPC's are open and running.... at 6GB, it seemed like sometimes I was running out. With the sale price of $75 for 6GB of 1600Mhz ram, I thought I would give it a try. Youre right, on normal usage, you dont really notice.

As an aside, at this same sale, I finally bought the two GTX 460's I have been talking about. They didnt wow me as much as I thought they would. Civ4 looks somewhat better and scolls nice a quick. Dragon Age looks better too ... just doesnt seem like $400 better.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #16
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I have the SSD on the desk ready to install, but dont have the time to rebuild right now. The processor is only an i7 920 ...

Probably the most memory intensive thing I do is that sometimes 3 or 4 VPC's are open and running.... at 6GB, it seemed like sometimes I was running out. With the sale price of $75 for 6GB of 1600Mhz ram, I thought I would give it a try. Youre right, on normal usage, you dont really notice.

As an aside, at this same sale, I finally bought the two GTX 460's I have been talking about. They didnt wow me as much as I thought they would. Civ4 looks somewhat better and scolls nice a quick. Dragon Age looks better too ... just doesnt seem like $400 better.

Neither of those games are graphically intensive in terms of "wow" factor. Civ4 takes up a lot of resources and processing power because of the scale of the game but it's still a simplistic strategy game and Dragon Age is well known as a console port with low-res textures. There are fan mods out there that improve Dragon Age graphics for more powerful PCs.

If you want to be wowed by your GTX 460 SLI, try something like Metro 2033 or Crysis. Sadly, with so many games being console ports, there is really very little out there that makes use of that graphical power.

You could also buy two more monitors and make used of Nvidia 3D Surround
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:26 PM   #17
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I saw a HUGE difference between 4GB and 8GB but that was because I was running over 4GB all the time with all the apps I had open at once.. for memory best to check your usage first to see if you need to upgrade.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:32 PM   #18
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Yeah, more RAM doesn't matter unless you don't have enough.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote