Franchise Player

Exp:

Commander Keen reboot anyone?
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:50 PM   #22
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think the "Microsoft killed Rare" narrative's a bit overblown. The Kinect era was regrettable (as was much of Microsoft's vision at that point in time), but Rare's been around for three and a half decades- peaks and valleys are to be expected in the lifetime of a developer that's been around so long. They've since released Sea of Thieves (which has become a pretty damned good game, and is totally Rare in terms of style), Battletoads, and are working on the new IP Everwild.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:59 PM   #23
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Right, Rare was the other one I was thinking. Microsoft isn't exactly great at this.
Microsoft isn't the same company as they were 10 years ago. Since then they've bought out Mojang, Obsidian, Undead Labs, and many for that they haven't killed. None of which were killed off.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:30 PM   #24
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
I think the "Microsoft killed Rare" narrative's a bit overblown. The Kinect era was regrettable (as was much of Microsoft's vision at that point in time), but Rare's been around for three and a half decades- peaks and valleys are to be expected in the lifetime of a developer that's been around so long. They've since released Sea of Thieves (which has become a pretty damned good game, and is totally Rare in terms of style), Battletoads, and are working on the new IP Everwild.
I think it was less "Microsoft Killed Rare" and more "Rare Sucked Without Nintendo". They're picking up steam again no though.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:34 PM   #25
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

No one kills studios better than EA. Not even close.
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LockedOut For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2020, 08:29 PM   #26
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I was really tempted to cancel Gamepass when the price doubled after the beta ended, but with all of the EA Play games being added and now this, it's still going to be a ridiculous value even at twice the price
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:49 PM   #27
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd love to see the Ultima property acquired again. However, I did feel that the Witcher 3 surpassed everything Richard Garriott had imagined infused with he gameplay.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:43 AM   #28
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedOut View Post
Ubi sure tries their best though
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:02 PM   #29
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedOut View Post
Pour one out for Maxis.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 04:45 PM   #30
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

EA took Criterion. I’d like one more Burnout!

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 07:33 PM   #31
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big move by MS...really adds a lot of proven IP to their roster...

a little disappointed as a PS fan - i am a big fan of Fallout and Skyrim...and potentially Elden Ring and Starfield...

still looking forward to getting a PS5 though...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:31 PM   #32
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Big move by MS...really adds a lot of proven IP to their roster...

a little disappointed as a PS fan - i am a big fan of Fallout and Skyrim...and potentially Elden Ring and Starfield...

still looking forward to getting a PS5 though...
Don't see why. I don't think Microsoft has any intention of making these new studios Xbox exclusives, their whole strategy now is to get as many games in as many hands as possible. If anything I'd put money on Microsoft trying to work out a deal with Sony to bring Gamepass to the PS5 with some sort of profit sharing model
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:09 PM   #33
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Don't see why. I don't think Microsoft has any intention of making these new studios Xbox exclusives, their whole strategy now is to get as many games in as many hands as possible. If anything I'd put money on Microsoft trying to work out a deal with Sony to bring Gamepass to the PS5 with some sort of profit sharing model
Well, i suppose that is true...

no announcements on whether they continue to offer multi platform so far...though they did state they'd look at it on a game by game basis.

But if you are right about their intention (even if they use zenimax for timed exclusives) its not a huge deal for PS fans...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:48 PM   #34
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

An article that I read said that m$ have increased their game pass players by 50% since March and have 15 million players generating $1 billion in revenue a year. The article stated that if Microsoft got to 50 million it would generate $6 billion in revenue a year. Now that’s some kind of voodoo math but the point is that game pass could get to 50 million and that’s a large revenue generating machine.

As an Xbox gamer, I couldn’t care less if a Microsoft first party game was on ps5 or not because I’m getting it on subscription and some other platforms would be generating direct revenue.

I’m closer than I have ever been to also buying a PlayStation as well because the games would be different.

It’s a great time to be a gamer on any platform.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:11 PM   #35
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I think anyone saying this is in some serious denial. Do we expect to see Halo on PS5? How about the next Forza, or Gears of War? Because that’s the equivalent. Microsoft owns Elder Scrolls now, they’re not just gonna drop it on a competing platform out of good will for gamers or whatever. You know what gets more GamePass subscribers? Having that as an exclusive, forever.

“Game by game basis” meant leaving the window open for something like Ori coming to Switch. Big franchises on PS is a whole different game.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:10 AM   #36
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I think anyone saying this is in some serious denial. Do we expect to see Halo on PS5? How about the next Forza, or Gears of War? Because that’s the equivalent. Microsoft owns Elder Scrolls now, they’re not just gonna drop it on a competing platform out of good will for gamers or whatever. You know what gets more GamePass subscribers? Having that as an exclusive, forever.

“Game by game basis” meant leaving the window open for something like Ori coming to Switch. Big franchises on PS is a whole different game.
They are not going to make Elder Scrolls an exclusive, that would make zero sense business wise. PlayStation fanboys are not going to forsake the PS5 for an Xbox for one exclusive. Microsoft would just cost themselves hundreds of millions of dollars in profit by making the next Elder Scrolls an exclusive. Now an earlier release on Xbox, that I can see for sure.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:01 AM   #37
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post

Microsoft probably won't release any of their big games on Playstation in the near future, that much seems assured, but I wouldn't count on them being Xbox exclusives either. At a minimum, every first-party Microsoft game will be available for both Xbox and Windows, and beyond that, most of their games are also now available for xCloud and can run on any other companies' devices that support the platform.

My guess is that Microsoft's long-term strategy is to more or less get out of the hardware business altogether after this console generation except for possibly a low-cost streaming box. By leveraging Azure, Gamepass, and xCloud, they're leaning in to the "games as a service" model and plan to do for videogames what Netflix did for movies and television. Consumers pick the hardware of their choice and then pay MS a recurring monthly fee for an all-you-can-eat buffet of games. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft has already approached Sony about offering Gamepass on Playstation only to have Sony turn them away.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:22 PM   #38
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Microsoft’s big play here is GamePass.

Wherever GamePass is, Bethesda/ZeniMax games will be. Is GamePass on PlayStation? Maybe it will be one day, but for now it isn’t so I don’t see Microsoft publishing their big hitting games on that platform.

If people only have a PlayStation 5 but want to play Fallout 6? Sign up for GamePass Ultimate and play it via xCloud on whatever device you have that can do it. That’s how this plays out in my eyes.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:27 AM   #39
RedMan12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am assuming these games will still be on PC.

You lack rawness, you lack passion, you couldn't make it through war without rations.

RedMan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:31 AM   #40
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMan12 View Post
I am assuming these games will still be on PC.
Absolutely, Microsoft puts all exclusives on PC.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post: