Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2024, 03:24 PM   #741
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Disagree. That win demonstrated competitive soccer coming out of Quebec (which matters), and they had a decent supporters turnout in Halifax that came to support (and managed to get on the field). Plus, theyre based in Montreal, which has fantastic football support, and are a dominant team in L1QC as they also won the 2023 Coupe L1QC.

The next Laurent game will be at Claude Robillard, and a win in the CPL will generate even more interest IMO. It's a good litmus test quebec-based pro soccer not in the MLS.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 03:40 PM   #742
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's always been talent in Quebec. Mo Farsi, Diyaeddine Abzi, Woobens Pacius all examples of players who've signed for CPL and moved on to better. Halifax had multiple players on the pitch from Quebec.

A few dozen supporters travelling a short flight away is awesome for the level, but that doesn't mean someone is going to suddenly sink 8 figures into a club. Especially with a massive club on the door step (even though I think there's a good opportunity there to pry supporters away).

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 03:50 PM   #743
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sherm is right. the quality of the play isn't as important as the ROI.
As is stands now 4 of 9 CPL teams past and present have proven that you can make money. Forge, HFX, Cavalry and Ottawa.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 04:27 PM   #744
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Sherm is right. the quality of the play isn't as important as the ROI.
As is stands now 4 of 9 CPL teams past and present have proven that you can make money. Forge, HFX, Cavalry and Ottawa.
Pacific seems to do OK? And I think Vancouver will be good. I haven’t looked at their numbers, it just seems that way.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 04:31 PM   #745
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Pacific seems to do OK? And I think Vancouver will be good. I haven’t looked at their numbers, it just seems that way.
Pacific was lower half last year. The turnout for their Canadian Championship game was pretty pathetic. Not sure if that would be the case here if TSS Rovers visited as well. I think I'm alone in that seeing a team you'd normally never play is actually more interesting.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1785461343472226549
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 04:51 PM   #746
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pacific's attendance against TSS Rovers was basically in line with everyone else except Halifax. It was more than what Cavalry got vs Vancouver. And only a few hundred less than what Forge and Ottawa drew in their matchups.

Weeknight games in late April / early May just don't draw well.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 06:46 PM   #747
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

There is no ROI until you make the leap. That's the whole point of new franchises, you don't know what you don't know outside of estimates of market strength.

Support for a semi-pro, non-MLS team - in the Montreal area - is absolutely a litmus test for future potential ownership groups. And I think the attendance, support and interest in Laurent's TFC game is as good an opportunity as any to see L1QC and marker potential in action.

If you think investors curious about the Quebec market aren't watching this game, you're fooling yourselves.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cavalry fc , cpl , ftf , soccer