Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #41
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thinking about Johnny’s skillset and just how much better he makes the players around him - I think I’m shifting away from being okay with Ferland being the RW on that line. For line balance, I see the value - but as far as player utilization goes, what could we really see out of Johnny and his linemates if he had another high end player.

Think of all the scoring chances he’s generated that haven’t gone in this year due to Ferly. I love Ferly, but he’s not a true sniper. He’s bumbled more than his fair share of finishing touches.

If we can in fact land Hoffman, or someone of that skill level, and another good 3rd line player...I mean...isn’t that how we get to being an elite team and away from being a bubble team?

Gaudreau - Monahan - Sniper
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - Good 3rd line player
Ferland - Shore/Lazar - Brouwer/someone better than Brouwer/Lazar

This is going to be an interesting off-season.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:53 PM   #42
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Thinking about Johnny’s skillset and just how much better he makes the players around him - I think I’m shifting away from being okay with Ferland being the RW on that line. For line balance, I see the value - but as far as player utilization goes, what could we really see out of Johnny and his linemates if he had another high end player.

Think of all the scoring chances he’s generated that haven’t gone in this year due to Ferly. I love Ferly, but he’s not a true sniper. He’s bumbled more than his fair share of finishing touches.

If we can in fact land Hoffman, or someone of that skill level, and another good 3rd line player...I mean...isn’t that how we get to being an elite team and away from being a bubble team?

Gaudreau - Monahan - Sniper
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - Good 3rd line player
Ferland - Shore/Lazar - Brouwer/someone better than Brouwer/Lazar

This is going to be an interesting off-season.
Ferland needs to stay on the top line. I know you're not a fan. But based on the eye test and the results, it's very obvious the current trio have chemistry.

Gaudreau has a 5 game point streak (7 points) since Ferland has come back from injury.

Gaudreau while Ferland was injured 5 games, 3 points, 4 straight games with 0 points. It's clear as day these guys should stay together.

From last season when they united, to this season and all of their career highs, there's no reason at all to move Ferland down to the 4th line.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:31 PM   #43
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Ferland needs to stay on the top line. I know you're not a fan. But based on the eye test and the results, it's very obvious the current trio have chemistry.

Gaudreau has a 5 game point streak (7 points) since Ferland has come back from injury.

Gaudreau while Ferland was injured 5 games, 3 points, 4 straight games with 0 points. It's clear as day these guys should stay together.

From last season when they united, to this season and all of their career highs, there's no reason at all to move Ferland down to the 4th line.

I like Ferly!

We just need to improve. Doing what I put out there is a way to improve. The 4th line can in fact have good players on it. I’d say good teams have the ability to roll 4 effective lines, and having Ferly be on that 4th line does just that.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:40 PM   #44
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I like Ferly!

We just need to improve. Doing what I put out there is a way to improve. The 4th line can in fact have good players on it. I’d say good teams have the ability to roll 4 effective lines, and having Ferly be on that 4th line does just that.
The problem with that is that ferland isn’t that great in his own end, which is why I think he should be used on the first or 3rd line. If the Flames get a top 6 RW in the off-season then ferland should be on the 3rd line if they decide to use this new signing on the top line. I just wouldn’t feel comfortable playing him on a line that plays a lot in their own end

Last edited by Beninho; 03-14-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:46 PM   #45
renny
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
No, but there are a bunch of honourable mentions: Brodie, Reichel, Lydman, Kruse.

And they've had later picks that turned out great: 8th round Theo and Hrdina, 9th round Loob and Suter, 10th round Titov and 12th round Makarov.
Don't forget about Hull in the 6th round he was not a bad hockey player...

renny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:12 PM   #46
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post

There is plenty of reason to put Ferland on the fourth line from time to time in my opinion.

He is a very hot-cold player. He has, I believe a 4 point steak where he had 8 points and a 6 game streak with 8 points. He disappears for long streaks and sometimes parking him on the 4th line reminds him what it takes.

He has had a career year, and shown progression, but has not yet shown the consistency to be a top line winger.

Picture a guy like James Neal on that wing. Ferland wouldn’t get a sniff of the top line again.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:43 PM   #47
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

As much as I love Tkachuck part of me wonders what if the Jets don't jump the Flames on the last day and Patrick Laine is the trigger man for Gaudreau. He'd be able to put up 80 assists. He is the most creative offensive player the Flames have had since Kent Nilsson.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:25 AM   #48
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
There is plenty of reason to put Ferland on the fourth line from time to time in my opinion.

He is a very hot-cold player. He has, I believe a 4 point steak where he had 8 points and a 6 game streak with 8 points. He disappears for long streaks and sometimes parking him on the 4th line reminds him what it takes.

He has had a career year, and shown progression, but has not yet shown the consistency to be a top line winger.

Picture a guy like James Neal on that wing. Ferland wouldn’t get a sniff of the top line again.
Yeah Ferland has his highs and lows and quiet stretches, but I like the chemistry these 3 have.

The proof is in the pudding: Since Ferland was moved onto the 1st line in Nashville back in late February 2017, Gaudreau's point totals have skyrocketed.

Gaudreau pre-Ferland (16-17): 49 gp - 35 pts (59 point pace)

Gaudreau with Ferland (16-17): 23 gp - 26 pts (93 point pace)

This season: Gaudreau is on the same points per game pace (92 points).

I'll take the Gaudreau that Ferland makes better as their line along with Monahan produces at least 90 + goals for the team. We don't know for sure if a player like James Neal would have chemistry with Gaudreau and Monahan, but we do know what Ferland does for that line.

James Neal probably would make the 1st line better with the tools he possesses. But he would also cost the team significantly more $$$ and I'd rather use that extra cap space to enhance the rest of the lines so we have a more balanced scoring group up and down the line up. To throw out 3 good scoring lines every game would make us insanely difficult to beat.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote