Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2018, 10:58 AM   #41
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Why would you pick these two Call of Duty games? There were at least 4 better COD games released in the 2000s than those ones. The series went downhill fast after Black Ops, but the stretch from COD4 to Black Ops were some of the best FPS games ever made.
Take a look at the games I listed and I bet you can find a theme that would answer this question. The second World War is perhaps my favorite setting. RtCW and Enemy Territory deserve to be mentioned as well. CoD 2 was perhaps the pinnacle of the series in my opinion. Killstreaks were the single worst addition made to the series and the lack of dedicated servers on a lot of the titles after are a huge negative.

Last edited by cDnStealth; 03-13-2018 at 11:04 AM.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:57 AM   #42
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me, there's only two time periods for war games that really do it for me - WWII, and current day (with accurate geopolitical climates).

The original Call of Duty was awesome when it came out, same with Battlefield 1942. You felt like you were actually part of history when playing that game and the weaponry was easy and fun to understand.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:42 PM   #43
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Baldur's Gate 2
Still my favorite game of all time! Great mechanics, beautiful hand crafted areas, and an epic story trumping everything else in terms of game development.

The last great cRPG before the genre became dumbed down and action-ized to appeal to consolers
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #44
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

1.command and conquer generals/zero hour
2.Bf2
3.Heroes of Might and magic 2,3,4,5
4.Sudden Strike
5.Age of empires
6.Rome Total War
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:06 PM   #45
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is going back to early 2000 but did anyone ever play Severance: Blade of Darkness? I loved that game as to me that was the original Dark/Demon Souls.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:11 PM   #46
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Still my favorite game of all time! Great mechanics, beautiful hand crafted areas, and an epic story trumping everything else in terms of game development.

The last great cRPG before the genre became dumbed down and action-ized to appeal to consolers
Pillars of Eternity is solid if you haven’t given it a go
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:21 PM   #47
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
I played through a lot of it, but the underlying mechanic wasn't as good as 2nd Ed. D&D, and the story and characters didn't grab me.

Still, a good game though, and I'd probably finish and play the sequel if I decide to invest in a new gaming PC to replace the one was outdaed and eventually bricked
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:34 PM   #48
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post

I feel like there's a legitimate question as to which was the best Forgotten Realms isometric cRPG. Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale 2, Neverwinter Nights, Neverwinter Nights 2, all the expansions...

Incidentally, this goes back to my hobby horse from the 1990s PC games thread, but have you played Planescape:Torment?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:54 PM   #49
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
So, yet again, serious issues here. First, Mass Effect rather than ME2? You can pick ME2. It came out in 2009 and is better in every way. I mean, I'd probably have left both of them off because I consider them to be primarily console games, but if you're including the first then you can clearly include the second.

A bigger problem is that Dragon Age: Origins isn't on there. Now, there IS a game that is very clearly a PC-first game, it's a better version of everything done in KOTOR (minus the Star Wars theme), and coming out later in the decade had about as good a visual experience as you were going to get. Great voice acting, too. I know people have nostalgia for the KOTOR games, but as time went on, Bioware got better.

Portal is an obvious omission, even though Portal 2 is again better. They straddled the decade cutoff though.

But here's the biggest problem, and it's basically an instant disqualification: Deus Ex. It was released in 2000. It was obviously the best PC game of the 2000s. For the longest time it was considered the best PC game ever - most notably, PC Gamer had it as the best PC game ever made at the end of the decade, which says something.
ME2 > ME... nope. ME2 was the better shooter, but ME1 was the better RPG, the better story, and the better game overall. As far as story goes, ME2 was the slow second movement of the space opera. It felt like an interlude, something to tide you over until Mass Effect 3 came out and you'd get to finish your fight with the Reapers.

DA:O > KOTOR... nope again, for me. Though I'll admit that I may not have a sound opinion there, having been completely unable to get into DA:O. I was bored within two hours. KOTOR is great not for it's Star Wars theme, but for its Star Wars story. I'm detecting a pattern here.

Portal 2 > Portal... nope. Sure the sequel is better technically (and particularly for those who suffered motion sickness playing the first, such as myself). But it didn't match up to the experience of playing the first, nor did have the same sort of cultural impact. GLaDOS > Wheatley.

Deus Ex... yup! When you get past the technical view (which will always favour sequels or more recent games), you get it right. Deus Ex should be on the list.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2018, 10:22 PM   #50
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm...put console games when it said Computer Games!

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:47 AM   #51
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
nm...put console games when it said Computer Games!
Almost did the same thing. Boy oh boy do I have a lsit ready for the console thread, haha. It's basically all MGS and GTA
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
McG
Old 03-15-2018, 08:43 AM   #52
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'd love to have someone put up a console game list, because as I stated before, I have never been a console gamer. If I put up a list based on personal experience, its going to be Madden, two hockey games, and a couple battlefield games and GTA V.

Honestly I just can't use controllers.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #53
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The main computer game I played in the 2000s were the Tiger Woods PGA Tour series. It was a step up from the older Links series I used to play.

On the action front, nothing really appealed to me until I saw the first reviews of Splinter Cell. I always liked stealth over action, and this one hit all the right buttons for me. Something about just choking out a guard (and then having to hurry since they'll wake up) instead of just killing, or using distractions to lure guards away just felt right to me. You wanted to be in and out without leaving a trace. All that and night vision and infra red goggles to boot!
psyang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:22 AM   #54
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

As others have said Half Life 2 and Dragon Age: Origins are probably the biggest omissions, they would be in my top 5. GTA III was pretty groundbreaking but Vice City was way more fun to play, the soundtrack alone was worth it.

Honorable mention to Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast, just plain fun to play.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:27 AM   #55
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
BTW, Deadfire is coming soon.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #56
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

so in theory, I wanted to put this out there.

My next list this weekend was going to be around the best computer games from 2010-now.

However, I was reading while taking an Oiler this morning and I came across an article that talks about these incredibly brilliant jerk moves that people have pulled on in MMO's and I thought that would maybe be a really entertaining list for this weekend.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2018, 10:24 AM   #57
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

#1 MMO Jerk Move has to be Leeeeeeeeeeroy Jenkins!

The only MMO I really played was EVE Online and there has been some amazing jerk moves/scams that have cost thousands of real world dollars worth of loss to some.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:35 AM   #58
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Test Drive Unlimited deserves a mention. On PC it gave you manual clutch, handbrake, basically all analog inputs. Was super fun to play and the multiplayer races got pretty competitive. The funniest part was that using the clutch made you way faster, however most americans that played had no concept of using the clutch. The europeans were awesome at it the game though
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:23 AM   #59
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

My goodness how could I forget this masterpiece
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2018, 11:27 AM   #60
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I love it when Corsi comes into these games threads like he's the authority on PC Gaming. LoL.

WoW is definitely number 1 for me, and I didn't even play it that long nor was I a hardcore get home from work and play through to unreasonable hours in the morning player. I played beta through to a bit of Wrath and then was done. I've yet to play another game that gave me that feeling I had playing it. I no doubt have far more hours into the Quake franchise, Unreal, and Counter Strike; but playing WoW was just an amazing experience from top to bottom.

But with all that being said, "Best computer games of X era" is such a personal thing, I feel. Sure, one could compile all the reviews, number of copies sold, replay-ability, etc. and come up with a calculated best list, but not everyone loves Call of Duty, not everyone is a dictator in disguise ready to wreak havoc in Civilization, nor does everyone lose their mind over the Sims.
woob is online now   Reply With Quote