Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2018, 08:15 AM   #1
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Your 2018-19 Calgary Flames?

Obviously tensions are high and disappointment in the season is crushing everyone's soul, but a post by Jiri in the GT last night got me thinking. I thought we could try and inject some more positive energy into the site and look to the future. So share your hopes of what the team will look like to open the season based on:

GM: Who is your guy?
Head Coach: Who is your guy?
Signifcant moves: What do you do to right the ship?
Line up: Who plays with who?
Biggest development: What is going to happen that will shock people?

My go.

GM: Brad Treliving

I don't mind the job that Treliving has done putting the team together on paper. I think that he has some major short comings, but I think he is a smart guy who learns from his mistakes. I think that he recognizes the pickle he has put the team in and will take the appropriate steps to resolve the problem.

Coach: Alain Vignault or Joel Quennville (which ever one gets sacked)

I think either of these guys will know how to use the talent on this team in the most effective manner. Transition and speed will the focus of the hockey team, and the defense will be free to join the rush, driving the opposition insane. Players will be put in positions where they will be successful and play with other guys they can feed off of. No more square pegs in round holes. The players will get a system that works for them, and they will then be accountable because they are playing a game they are best suited for.

Significant moves:

Troy Brouwer is shown the door. Sorry Troy, I really like you, and had high hopes for you, but the game has passed you by. Its buy-out time. I wish you luck getting another gig in the NHL, but if you want to continue playing hockey you might want to keep that guy's number who offered you that beer league slot. The NHL is just too fast for you.

TJ Brodie is traded to Ottawa for Mike Hoffman. I've been talking about this one for a while, and I think the potential is still there. Hoffman would be a great addition to the team, and moving Brodie gives opportunity to others who are ready.

A major retool of the 4th line with a focus of them being a true energy line. I want to see a 4th line that goes out on the ice and has the opposition wince. I want size, speed, and guys that will bump. Devante Smith-Pelly is a guy I bring in just to be a poop disturber on that 4th line. I also want four players on our BUS Squad (broke underpaid superstars - in the making) who need experience, can cut their teeth in the NHL, and have the ability to play up and down the lineup as needed. There will be some shuttling between the NHL an AHL as they rotate, but I want these guys on the team for a month or two at a time.

Roster:

Johnny Gaudreau - Sean Monahan - Micheal Ferland

If it aint broke, don't fix it. This line is lethal when it is on. I think that we are seeing just how important Ferland is to the trio as it has not been the same since he went down with injury. Ferland comes back healthy and this line starts clicking again.

Mike Hoffman - Mikael Backlund - Michael Frolik

Defensively responsible and still capable of putting up offense. Backlund gets a more traditional scorer and a player more in his style of play. I see this as a natural scoring line that can also play against the best the opposition has to offer and stop them from being effective in our end.

Sam Bennett - Mark Jankowski - Matthew Tkachuk

This is the line the fans will grow to love and the opposition will learn to hate. Two balls of hate centered by a big skilled center? This just has success written all over it. I think that Tkachuk and Bennett are destined to play together, sharing many of the same characteristics and style of play. Play them with a big center with great hands and this is a line that drive the opposition batty and chip in more than their fair share of offense.

Garnett Hathaway - Nick Shore - Devante Smith-Pelly

The opposition is going to hate playing against this line. All speed and size and bump and grind. They won't get a ton of ice, but when they do, they get to cause mayhem out there. Nice thing is they are also defensively aware and shouldn't hurt you in the defensive zone.

Mark Giordano - Doug Hamilton

One of the best pairs in the game. Don't break what is already fixed.

Brett Kulak - Travis Hamonic

Kulak has shown he is more than capable of playing in every situation. Time to move him up the lineup and give him more responsibility. Frankly, Kulak and Andersson were a very effective pair together in the few games they played together, so that option could still be there. I just like the blend of skill and toughness on this pair.

Rasmus Andersson - Michael Stone

Stone seems like a good fit with Andresson, and to bring him along. I think Stone is very good at working with any partner, and will know when he has to cover mistakes made by his partner. Andersson is going to be a breath of fresh air on the back end and I look forward to his arrival,

Tyler Wotherspoon (one way contract)

Wotherspoon gets the popcorn contract. I think he's earned it and will be a good fill in up and down the lineup where needed.

Mike Smith - Jon Gillies

Gillies wins the backup because I see Mike Sith providing the mentorship another big goaltender needs. Watching Smith play up close will help him become the starter we will need in a couple years. This is an investment in the future as much as it is an investment in our immediate team.

BUS Squad - Dylan Dube, Andrew Mangipagne, Spencer Foo, Oliver Kylington

Every team needs an influx of energy and guys that can step in and play. You also need a way to keep the guys in the minors motivated. Give them some slots to battle for and play for. Injuries happen and these are the guys you want to fast track into the system and get them ready to play and backfill positions were needed. Giving learning opportunities in the show is something this organization needs to get better at. This is one way to do it.

Biggest Development: Just before the Labour Day long weekend the City of Calgary and the CSEC announce they have come to agreement on a deal that will address the comprehensive sports entertainment needs in Calgary. A new hockey arena, football stadium, and field house will be announced, injecting some much needed energy into a city needing a lift. Hey, dream big, right?

What's your take?

Last edited by Lanny_McDonald; 03-03-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:23 AM   #2
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would change three things from your list and modify one.

1) I would get rid of Treliving, not sure who to replace him with but he has been here 4 years, has not shown any ability to learn from his mistakes. He builds by trading picks in a cap era where good young players on ELC's is the difference often between ok and very good.

2) I would move Brodie for picks. I do like Hoffman and do not oppose the move, but would rather move Brodie for picks and use his cap space to grab Kane (who would have a similar price tag to Hoffman)

3) I would add Sutter to the list of coaches.

4) I would put Kane and Tkachuk on a line with Jankowski and put Bennett with Backlund and Frolik on a true checking line.

4)
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:29 AM   #3
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by new era View Post

what's your take?
tl:dr

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2018, 08:31 AM   #4
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

*Michael
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:50 AM   #5
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

The good news is the off season plan seems both clear and achievable

Priority 1: scoring on the wings. Primarily addressed by trading a d
Prioriry 2: reshaping the bottom 6. Addressed through buy outs (Brouwer) retirements (Stajan) graduations and perhaps signings or small trades
Priority 3: figure out what to do with the coaching

I would not be opposed to large changes. At minimum I would listen to interest on anyone not named Tkachuk

I bring the gm back because overall I think he’s done a good job and I strongly believe that bad teams change gms far too often, and each time they do a price is paid

Thinking more about it my number one trade target would be Galch out of Montreal, who also need a shake up
How about Sam plus Brodie for Galch plus Gallagher
Just spit calling. Bergeron certainly isn’t afraid of big deals
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2018, 09:00 AM   #6
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Kovalchuk
Tkachuk - Backlund - Bennett
Ferland - Jankowski - Frolik
Lazar - Stajan - Hathaway

Gio - Hamilton
Valimaki - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone

Smith
Gilles

Trade Brodie to Edmonton for their first
goflamesgo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:02 AM   #7
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving is middle of the pack. Compare him to every other middle of the pack gm. Not a lot of difference.

Brodie is lit bring us much back anymore in a trade.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:19 AM   #8
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
*Michael
All three spellings are correct and accurate. Betcha didn't know you could spell it so many ways!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2018, 09:20 AM   #9
Trolleydodger
Backup Goalie

Exp:

There's a better chance that we discover the moon is a hollowed out alien base than Kovalchuk signing with the Flames.
Trolleydodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:21 AM   #10
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Thinking more about it my number one trade target would be Galch out of Montreal, who also need a shake up
How about Sam plus Brodie for Galch plus Gallagher
Just spit calling. Bergeron certainly isn’t afraid of big deals
That would indeed be an interesting deal. I'm not a fan of having so many small players. There is some risk there, but I think I would do it.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:25 AM   #11
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

IMO if Treliving is fired he will be hired by an NHL team within 48 hours. Not every GM is perfect, they all have blemishes in their resume and Treliving's are pretty low when compared to some of the other GM's in the league.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #12
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubFlames View Post
IMO if Treliving is fired he will be hired by an NHL team within 48 hours. Not every GM is perfect, they all have blemishes in their resume and Treliving's are pretty low when compared to some of the other GM's in the league.
No, he would not be hired within 48 hours. Having your teams average 85 points a season does not get you instantly hired.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2018, 09:32 AM   #13
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The team up North probably would grab him if he became available.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #14
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
No, he would not be hired within 48 hours. Having your teams average 85 points a season does not get you instantly hired.
NHL teams take a far more nuanced approach to these decisions then how many points the GM netted. They would actually take the time to evaluate their hirings, drafting, trades, signings, contract negotiations, managing a staff and probably a long list of other things.
Let's not be so simplistic in these discussions.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:37 AM   #15
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Tre has done a good enough job to stay. I want GG gone but if he finds a way to get the team back in the playoffs he is certainly staying and even if he doesn't I would not be shocked to see him back, I think Tre and Conroy are really committed to this guy for some reason. I do think he is a very brilliant hockey mind when it comes to the x's and o's of the game but his man management of the game is terrible. Obviously if a Quennville or AV become available those are great choices for coach. I think you trade Brodie to recoup a 1st at the draft, a good opportunity to get back into the 1st rnd and offload a serious handicap to this team. I would unload Stone as well, maybe to the Sens for a 2nd. Dumping Brouwer would be nice but I don't see it happening. I have watched quite a bit of Heat video and I would bring both Kylington and Andersson in next year and run with them, time to promote the young guys. I am not sure a top 6 RW will be available but I don't think it is needed, I think if a new coach comes in he will see what has been apparent to me watching Tkachuk play in London and now in Calgary and that is that he gets the majority of his chances from the right side, I would promote him to top line RW.
Let some of the young talent from Stockton battle for that open spot on 3rd line LW.

Gaudreau/Monahan/Tkachuk
Bennett/Backlund/Frolik
Open spot/Jankowski/Brouwer
Lazar/Shore/Hathaway

Gio/Hamilton
Kylington/Hamonic
Kulak/Andersson

Smith
Gillies
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:38 AM   #16
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
That would indeed be an interesting deal. I'm not a fan of having so many small players. There is some risk there, but I think I would do it.
I like that Gallagher plays with an edge, which is part of what I'm looking for.
Galch is a guy that I think could flourish under a different environment and away from the Montreal glare. And we know the Flames liked him at the draft (I think he was #1 on their board).
I think the key is do the Habs need a guy like Brodie.
Part of what I'm looking for is a team who has similarly disappointed with a GM unafraid to make moves. Habs certainly fit that bill.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:41 AM   #17
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I like that Gallagher plays with an edge, which is part of what I'm looking for.
Galch is a guy that I think could flourish under a different environment and away from the Montreal glare. And we know the Flames liked him at the draft (I think he was #1 on their board).
I think the key is do the Habs need a guy like Brodie.
Part of what I'm looking for is a team who has similarly disappointed with a GM unafraid to make moves. Habs certainly fit that bill.
I like Gallagher a lot too but to me he is like their Mark Stone, a guy they are not moving and is seen as a key part of their future.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:41 AM   #18
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some of Treliving's worst moves:
-Trading away Stempniak for a 3rd and flipping that 3rd for Bollig
-Signing Brouwer
-Trading a 2nd for Lazar
-Giving chances to people like Glass and Grossmann at the expense of some of the younger players. This might be Gulutzan's doing.
-Not firing the coaching staff months ago

There's a common denominator with these mistakes; these are all low-skill high-grit players. Now we're getting almost no scoring from the 3rd and 4th lines.
I have faith that Treliving has learned from the obvious.

But a lot of this might be Burke's doing as well.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2018, 09:42 AM   #19
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

When GG was hired, the GM said it was to take this team to the next level. It is clear that is an abject failure and I could easily argue the team has deteriorated significantly. My first order of business would be to get rid of the coaching staff, except for Gelinas. Including the goalie coach. Bring in a real coaching staff - Quenville, AV, Sutter....someone who can make adjustments based in the players the GM supplies him with.

I would certainly rebuild the third and fourth lines. But I would not trade any of our skilled players until we see what a real coach can do with them.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldSam For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2018, 09:44 AM   #20
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I like Gallagher a lot too but to me he is like their Mark Stone, a guy they are not moving and is seen as a key part of their future.

I'd take Gallagher in a heart beat. But like you said they are not moving him. Everything I've read says he is the next captain if they trade Patches.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote