Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2017, 01:16 PM   #21
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Roughnecks lack a true floor general and have since Evans left. They have a lot of shoot first type guys - Dickson, Dobbie, Catonni, Loewen and to a lesser extent Berg all like to get 1:1 matchups and try to make it happen on their own. The Mammoth don't have a more talented group out of the front door, but kept the ball hot, and got everyone involved. Calgary isn't moving the ball nearly enough - and that's partly because of the type of players they have. And teams know that - they are sliding over and double or triple teaming Dickson, and getting in the way of a lot of shots. The way you beat that is by moving the ball more and quicker - but I didn't see that adjustment being made last night.
5 on 5 they got nothing done for most of the night. The score flatters the team with 3 goals basically in mop-up time.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2017, 04:09 PM   #22
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post

Not a great start to the season, this is the least we've enjoyed the games since we got our tickets 5 years ago. The in-game entertainment was really lacking last night too.
Did you stay for the fireworks? I was skeptical but came away pretty impressed, glad we stayed.

I missed the first half of the game selling 50/50, sat down for the second half thinking we were in it. Pretty uninspiring play, defensively we are still giving up some brutal chances. Can't blame Frankie on a few of those goals. One observation is they were really exposing when we got a forward caught in transition.

If we were getting more high percentage shots off Dickson/Dobbie, we could exploit defences doubling them and feed shots to Cattoni or Lowen. Both have shown they can put the ball in the net. We just seemed to be stuck on shooting from low percentage areas and not doing what was necessary to get the ball back for any kind of sustained possession. Agree with the Evans comments, I've been saying for a long time we miss his play.

Super frustrating half to watch, reminded me of the season opener. Just no jump. I had a feeling that beating the Stealth didn't really mean anything as far as the team improving.

Coaching needs to change. Malawsky has shown no ability to adapt and change something that isn't working. I'm starting to feel that just like the start of last season, teams are figuring our plays out and shutting us down. And we seem to have no answer. Motivation and strategy needs to come from the top.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:05 AM   #23
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, we did stay. I should have mentioned that, the fireworks were pretty good.

I agree with your Malawsky comments. If he can't adapt and we don't have the roster to just light it up then something will need to change.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:09 PM   #24
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Another brutal game. Listless offence, lots of goals given up on transition. Unlike the last couple of seasons we aren't losing close games. We weren't ever in this Bandits game.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:33 AM   #25
Dome_YYC
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I wonder what it takes to have a coaching change...

Also, as hard as it is to think, Vancouver is actually WAY worse then us and got dismantled by the Rock like 27-4 or something
Dome_YYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:13 AM   #26
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

getting to the point where i dont really look forward to the games, this team needs to be blown up in a big way.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:21 AM   #27
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dome_YYC View Post
I wonder what it takes to have a coaching change...

Also, as hard as it is to think, Vancouver is actually WAY worse then us and got dismantled by the Rock like 27-4 or something
Something has to change. This is sounds like a guy out of ideas to me.....

“It’s back to the drawing board,” sighed head coach Curt Malawsky of his offensively-challenged club. “We have to make a couple of adjustments up front, whether it be personnel or what. We have to find ways to continue to get to the net. It’s just not falling. We need a break. We have to continue to compete. These guys aren’t feeling sorry for themselves. All we can do is try to be better next week.”
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #28
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

A team with Dickson, Dobbie, Berg, Digby and recent high top picks in Cattoni, Currier, Pace, Martel should not have this much trouble scoring on a weekly basis. They need a change.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:36 PM   #29
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would give Currier some significant time on offence and see if he can spark things
Old 01-12-2018, 10:35 AM   #30
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

really not sure what to expect this weekend but Malawsky needs to go soon. This team has been trending down for some time. the only saving grace is having Vancouver in the division.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:07 AM   #31
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Swarm have been struggling too, particularly on offense, but I think they are also more primed for a breakout game. They have a ton of weapons
Old 01-12-2018, 05:03 PM   #32
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
The Swarm have been struggling too, particularly on offense, but I think they are also more primed for a breakout game. They have a ton of weapons
The Thompson brothers are really good, surprises me they are losing this much
Old 01-13-2018, 11:13 PM   #33
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well, that game happened. Got killed by that run the swarm had in the third. Just looked at the box score and see the roughnecks has 72 penalty minutes in the fourth, most coming at the end of the game...did the guys tell the refs which short pier to walk off of?
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:01 PM   #34
GeoffSK
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Strange to not allow the guy who brings in 1000's of $ to not be allowed to dress up on a night people may come in star wars costumes.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...mpression=true

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
GeoffSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:40 PM   #35
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffSK View Post
Strange to not allow the guy who brings in 1000's of $ to not be allowed to dress up on a night people may come in star wars costumes.

Seems ridiculous.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:59 AM   #36
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

the way this team is playing, you should welcome any paying fan. Flames organization is all class
Old 01-24-2018, 02:12 PM   #37
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffSK View Post

Bit more info here...sounds like he wanted to be a bit more than 'a fan who dresses up':

Moore said Ooms can wear his Hulk costume as long as he doesn’t obstruct the view of other fans or behave like a mascot.

“When he came to us, he was going to have a handler, he needed a dressing room to dress in and he needed other things for his uniform and his act,” said Moore. “That’s just not something we allow.”

More here:

http://thestarphoenix.com/sports/rus...tchewan-mascot
The Following User Says Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2018, 02:28 PM   #38
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a bit much for the guy. He's doesn't want to be identified as a mascot but wants a dressing room and other things for his bit. Either you dress up at home and do your thing as a fan or it falls into being an opposing team's mascot now.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:40 PM   #39
GeoffSK
Backup Goalie

Exp:

That clears it up. No reason to give a fan a dressing room. Or allow him to run up and down the isles all game.

GeoffSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:53 PM   #40
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

The roughnecks dropped the ball here by making the sad excuse of "he doesnt know the building and could fall down and get hurt" or whatever lame reason they spouted. If they would have said that he requested the room and such, nobody would have thought anything. kind of makes me wonder if it is truthful.