Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-15-2017, 09:11 AM   #401
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ that offer is more than fair. No loan repayment. Only property tax.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:12 AM   #402
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

That appears like a very fair and reasonable deal from the City.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:13 AM   #403
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Sounds like a bloody amazing deal to me, even if the Flames have to return the City's (our) money through a lease.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:13 AM   #404
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If the 185 MM contribution from the City is not a loan, I don't see how that deal isn't taken.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:13 AM   #405
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

'We are no longer pursuing an arena in Calgary'

-Ken King
Old 09-15-2017, 09:14 AM   #406
BigT112
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

That's a very fair deal by the City.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #407
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_guy View Post
Another question I like to ask is does this project need to be in the $500-600 million range after all most of the NHL arenas built during the late 90s early 00s have been in the $250-450 million range when adjusted for inflation and currency rate. I know those arena didn't surpass every existing NHL arena in every way, but they address the issues with the Saddledome (not old, you can hang stuff from the roof, bigger concession area, more luxury boxes).
The NHL standard for Arenas has come way up. No point in building a 90s building, they are the next ones to get replaced once the dome goes.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:16 AM   #408
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_eoj View Post
If the 185 MM contribution from the City is not a loan, I don't see how that deal isn't taken.
Even if it is a loan, the loan was always interest free. Its still a great deal.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:16 AM   #409
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

That deal is more than fair. The Flames position only gets more embarrassing as the week goes on.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:17 AM   #410
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's a very high level overview but on the surface, yeah that looks like a fair deal. I think a lot of us can get behind the 1/3 1/3 1/3 deal.

I wish KK would come out now to say what exactly their problem was with the deal, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:17 AM   #411
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Edit - sorry misunderstood... need coffee
Old 09-15-2017, 09:18 AM   #412
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm
Old 09-15-2017, 09:19 AM   #413
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If i am understanding this correctly, the Owners were going to put in $200M of an $890M CalgaryNEXT project, which is 22% of that cost. If that is the case, and going by what Ken King said in his presser about the same RATIO, they are looking to put in $121M to this deal.

I also have heard that the Flames ownership considers the 33% Ticket tax part of what they are putting forward. Therefore they feel like they are paying 66%. ....Which is a total crock of.....ya, you get it.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:19 AM   #414
NiklasSundblad
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
Sounds like a bloody amazing deal to me, even if the Flames have to return the City's (our) money through a lease.
We're living in a new era, leases are loans, and this contribution is actually $0.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:20 AM   #415
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
It's a very high level overview but on the surface, yeah that looks like a fair deal. I think a lot of us can get behind the 1/3 1/3 1/3 deal.

I wish KK would come out now to say what exactly their problem was with the deal, but I'm not holding my breath.
He has said it. From CSEC's perspective they feel they are paying 100% of the cost of the arena with the city's proposal. Whether that is justified or not, is up for debate.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:20 AM   #416
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If the City is contributing only a loan to the Flames, and then they OWN the building, then how much are they paying for that ownership/right to charge rent? Being gifted an almost billion dollar structure....that's not ordinary.

As mentioned in many other posts it certainly isn't un-ordinary for the city to relax property tax requirements for new construction projects either. How much does the National Music Center pay for property tax....anyone?

Pretending either of these things are 'ordinary' in this situation doesn't make any sense.
The National Music Centre is likely exempt from property tax as a non-profit organization pursuant to the Municipal Government Act. If the Flames want to explore incorporating as a non-profit in order to qualify for property tax exemption, I would encourage them to consult a lawyer.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:21 AM   #417
NiklasSundblad
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCoGnEtO View Post
I also have heard that the Flames ownership considers the 33% Ticket tax part of what they are putting forward. Therefore they feel like they are paying 66%. ....Which is a total crock of.....ya, you get it.
You can thank the losers up north for that brilliant idea.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:24 AM   #418
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCoGnEtO View Post
If i am understanding this correctly, the Owners were going to put in $200M of an $890M CalgaryNEXT project, which is 22% of that cost. If that is the case, and going by what Ken King said in his presser about the same RATIO, they are looking to put in $121M to this deal.

I actually think that it is fair for the Flames to consider the ticket tax as more or less being out of their pocket. I just think that, even so, it is entirely fair that the Flames should pay at least two thirds of the cost of their development.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:25 AM   #419
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the ticket tax money that is paid up front by the city and then the tax is paid back to the city?
Old 09-15-2017, 09:25 AM   #420
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
I guess the only question I would have is what are the details that aren't represented in the City's Info Graphic? It's all fine and good, but is there any fine print? And this city contribution portion, what exactly is Meant by "non-property tax"?

If there are no more conditions or fine print, CSEC should take this deal. Anything more then this by the city will start to offend the sensibilities of the majority of tax payers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread