Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #1221
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

that's a lot of pitchers...

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:48 AM   #1222
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Martin and Saunders were left off Canada's WBC roster.

Martin not playing makes me happy. Jays need him big time. I wish the rest of them would back out as well. The WBC is an absolute joke.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2017, 11:39 AM   #1223
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Martin and Saunders were left off Canada's WBC roster.

Martin not playing makes me happy. Jays need him big time. I wish the rest of them would back out as well. The WBC is an absolute joke.
But it could be great. Here's how...

1: Have it happen mid-season instead of the All-Star Game
2: Participation is mandatory
3: Profit is split with each player getting an even bonus (with winning team getting double) and the rest divied up among the leagues the players came from proportioned to the size of it's contingent of players.
4: Call it a World Cup
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:14 PM   #1224
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post

3: Profit is split with each player getting an even bonus (with winning team getting double) and the rest divied up among the leagues the players came from proportioned to the size of it's contingent of players.
I'm not sure you can put a couple week tournament in the middle of a 162 game season, agree with everything else.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:15 PM   #1225
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:

hmmm

how long would the midseason break be? 3 weeks? Baseball can barely get it's season in now.

The upcoming tournament looks good, USA has a strong team for once.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:23 PM   #1226
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
hmmm

how long would the midseason break be? 3 weeks? Baseball can barely get it's season in now.

The upcoming tournament looks good, USA has a strong team for once.
Canada is bringing guys like Eric Gagne (serial steroid abuser that hasn't been in the MLB in 9 years) and Ryan Dempster who retired 3-4 years ago. They can't even get some minor leaguers to go this tournament.

Not sure why Pompey is going. I don't see any upside to that. He'll be lucky to crack the Jays lineup as is.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:40 PM   #1227
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure you can put a couple week tournament in the middle of a 162 game season, agree with everything else.
It'd be the only way to get the best baseball at the WBC. Put it at the beginning of the season and the pitchers aren't stretched out and the hitters don't have their timing back. Put it at the end of the season and the pitchers are at their inning limits and the hitters are fatigued. If the NHL can do it for the Olympics then MLB could do it for the WBC (Remember I'm not suggesting they do it for free... they'd get a big share of the revenue ticket, merch, and TV). Start the season 5 days earlier, end it 5 days later... done.

Honestly... after I saw Canada's team and with Otani not playing for Japan I have what little interest I had to begin with dwindling away.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:46 PM   #1228
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Canada is bringing guys like Eric Gagne (serial steroid abuser that hasn't been in the MLB in 9 years) and Ryan Dempster who retired 3-4 years ago. They can't even get some minor leaguers to go this tournament.

Not sure why Pompey is going. I don't see any upside to that. He'll be lucky to crack the Jays lineup as is.
Upside to whom? The Jays, Pompey, or Team Canada?

I don't think he cracks the roster out of ST if he goes or not. We have 4/5 OF at this moment. He is most likely the first callup if something happens.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:02 PM   #1229
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Upside to whom? The Jays, Pompey, or Team Canada?

I don't think he cracks the roster out of ST if he goes or not. We have 4/5 OF at this moment. He is most likely the first callup if something happens.
Upside to Pompey himself for going. If he does good it's, "Oh well, it's preseason tournament against minor leaguers". If he does bad it's, " This guy can't even hack in a nothing tournament against poor competition".

If he has any asperations of starting the season with the Jays, in my opinion, he should be in Jays camp showing everyone what he thinks he has and his work ethic. I personally don't think this guy will ever be anything more than a bench player in MLB (assuming he gets that). I think we significantly overrated this prospects because he was a local boy. A feel good story for the Jays that we all bought into.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2017, 02:05 PM   #1230
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
I think we significantly overrated this prospects because he was a local boy.
Disagree. He had a monster milb season the year he first came up. We significantly overrated him because of recency bias and small sample size.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #1231
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Disagree. He had a monster milb season the year he first came up. We significantly overrated him because of recency bias and small sample size.
When did he come up and put together a big run on his first call up? I honestly can't remember, and looking at his MLB stats they look pretty bad each of his 3 years he's had some games in the show.

I'm not saying he didn't, I just can't remember it. I remember him hitting a homerun or something like that in first game, but other than that, not much.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:24 PM   #1232
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

i think that until the US wins the tournament, it wont be important.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:34 PM   #1233
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

@Wilnerness590: #Bluejays sign Jake Elmore to a minor-league deal with an invite to spring training. Plays every position except pitcher. #Jays
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:34 PM   #1234
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
When did he come up and put together a big run on his first call up? I honestly can't remember, and looking at his MLB stats they look pretty bad each of his 3 years he's had some games in the show.
No, a monster MILB season... the year he first came up he legit tore through the minor leagues like a hot knife through butter. He legit looked like he could be a triple threat (Hit/Field/Run) switch hitting centerfielder that year IIRC. Turns out it was just a small sample size illusion.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:35 PM   #1235
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
@Wilnerness590: #Bluejays sign Jake Elmore to a minor-league deal with an invite to spring training. Plays every position except pitcher. #Jays
And he's even pitched.

Really he's just an Andy Burns replacement for the Bisons.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:48 PM   #1236
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

@thehazelmae: LHP Chad Girodo has been DFA'd to make room on roster for JP Howell per #BlueJays

@Wilnerness590: #Bluejays have officially officialized the signing of Joe Smith. Same 1yr/$3 mill as J.P. Howell. A.J. Jimenez DFA'd to make room. #Jays
Old 02-10-2017, 04:57 PM   #1237
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Came across a really great stat today. We know Josh Donaldson is great, but one of the greatest players ever?

For his only years of service in the MLB vs every other player in history during those same years (age wise), he's 25th all time in WAR.

Umm. Holy s***

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/josh-...ns-in-context/
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2017, 02:26 PM   #1238
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jays add Jose Tabata on a MiLB deal with an invite to training camp.

Add him to the pile of guys competing for the left field spot.

Sure would be nice if he can be rebuilt. Still just 28 and would fill the lead off spot nicely as he has speed and can get on base. Probably a long shot though.

Atricle
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2017, 06:24 PM   #1239
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tabata's career numbers are nice, I assume he's had injury issues the last couple years?
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:50 PM   #1240
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jiminez has been released. I guess Salty (not going to try and spell it) is the backup by default?